For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Seeing that

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Seeing that

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Seeing that civvie video made me see some related videos...like this one

And it just..pains me to see so many people get things wrong. Like they use the slowed down version of foundry second subsection (both civvie and this) that got incorrectly played. And this has so much more wrong. Like him asking "why would the prison ship think its starship enterprise"? Read the novel or the developement backstory and you'll understand. Sure the novel got released before the game released and contained a ton of beta things but the story is still the main story of Unreal.

Him saying stuff like "none of it is important" makes me wish they didn't relegate the backstory to the novel/remove it from the game.

And he obviously missed the messages about the nali resistance. I don't like this misconception that the nali were always peaceful. Most nalis you meet in the game are now of course but that's due to the circumstances and what happened..he also doesn't get that the Skaarj were once on the planet long ago (when the nali were less peaceful and were able to mount sucesful resistance) but didn't come from the planet. Hence his ridicilous theory that the Skaarj were from Na Pali. No, that contradicts both the original lore and the lore of the other games/extended universe. That's simply not the case.

There might be a linking thing like the "Dranoel" ships but that's novel/unreal psx material and getting into that is even more complicated.

I like how he said "you'll be saving them from themselves". And shows the bug in skycaves, which gets triggered despite the krall being gone. It was the Krall doing walking the plank on the nali, its just when the nali walks there he gets thrown there even if the Krall are dead...just an issue with this scripted sequence.

Also that misconception about using the Nali themselves as fertilizer. I heard this over and over at unrealsp.org too. But the message doesn't say that literally. It says search the homes of the Nali. Not search for the Nali. they were looking to use anything as the fertilizer that might have been left in the Nali homes...

Also never found evidence for "this and this" in the game, sure because that was left for the backstory that got largely removed and had no direct place in the game anyways. Unreal was planned to reveal a lot of stuff over time in other media too, some of it largely not realized anyways.

He also doesn't realize that the Skaarj might have used the Nali to modify certain buildings too more for their purpose?

someone can't put one and one together

"the eightball" I hate when people say this and don't say eightball gun because "eightball" was supposed to refer to the single instance of the ammo.

"where did this weapon come from"

maybe the original skaarj occupation from millenia ago or crashed starships? god dammit think....

the planet is a fucking bermuda triangle...

oh god he confuses the prophet and messiah for the same thing and says "return of messiah"
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Re: Seeing that

Post by Gamesharder »

Felt kind of the same tbh.
The videos are still great though, I'm happy there are more Unreal reviews on YT.
Somehow I knew Civvie will leave things out or have things incorrect, but his video is over an hour, so... Blondie's video is almost an hour long as well.
And yeah, they might not be the most informed but Unreal has a lot of background information which people will miss out. Not everyone is a "hardcore, all-knowing Unreal fan".

Also knew it would trigger you lmao
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Seeing that

Post by Leo T_C_K »

It also strikes me sometimes how people don't know that the flak cannon alt fire(and even eightball grenades iirc) used to be dodgable by the monsters. Like I believe only patch 220 or something broke that, one of the patches did. It was still a powerful weapon though and other things used to be off balance like the amplifier. You could kill even the most powerful monsters in one or two shots with upgraded dp. Then again I did play with Unreal 200 for more than a year before realizing I can't play online or use latest mods lol.

Return to “Anything else ?”