For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Duke Nukem Forever 2001 leak

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Duke Nukem Forever 2001 leak

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

So. duke nukem forever 2001 actually leaked. it's on archive.org.

pretty impressive stuff they've got, even if its a bit buggy.
Abs0lute_Zer0
OldUnreal Member

Re: Duke Nukem Forever 2001 leak

Post by Abs0lute_Zer0 »

[]KAOS[]Casey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:15 am So. duke nukem forever 2001 actually leaked. it's on archive.org.

I just tried it, seems fun to play, but still far from finished. I wonder how many keyloggers I just installed on my computer lol.
We also have a new "version" of UE1 source code.
Btw, the models look neat! :D
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Someone should compile unreali/unrealshare for it like I did with Mobile Forces lol.

EDIT:
Also I could post a sad face over the fact all this gets out while Unreal itself has shit ton of cut levels and expansion pack material that is mostly lost or is being sat on....
I mean come the fuck on, the only full beta build of Unreal (more or less) is that big early 1998 version and nothing else, the rest were just snapshots at best.

And I played a full version of march or april build and that still remains lost, with potential people who had it either not responding or.... :'(
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

FOR REAAAL? I don't care about Duke Nukem, but it's always a good thing to have something that ran on UE.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

makemeunreal wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:16 pm FOR REAAAL? I don't care about Duke Nukem, but it's always a good thing to have something that ran on UE.
Apparently there will be more maps/builds leaked by June if the guy delivers. Because I heard this doesn't have all the maps.

Also it has physics and you can pick up stuff judging from the videos, and this is before Devastation did something similar though i suspect that the UE1 version of Devastation, still called Unreal: Devastation, had something like that too as that was during 2001. Its interesting to see those bits being similar, the particles remind of the early 2000 Unreal 2 ones too. Its all close to each other in developement. Now only if we could have the early devastation material like when it was first just an UT addon, then an Unreal spinoff on 1.5 Unreal Engine similar to this...
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

Have we ever seen any pics/videos confirming that Devastation started out as an UT mod?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

makemeunreal wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:22 pm Have we ever seen any pics/videos confirming that Devastation started out as an UT mod?
I have the words of the developers and that counts. It was not a mod but commercial addon with a new tournament ladder. Kind of like realtournament but more official than that. It was like a real expansion pack compared to the bonus packs.

There was also an interview somewhere that i might have posted on ba or somewhere a while back, which had mark rein confirming the devastation status as an official unreal game in 2001.

Ben Golus (who was absent during the 2001 phase developement) said this.
After the expansion was cancelled, a lot of the basic ideas got turned into the game Devastation we later released.

None of the artwork from the original addon was used for that, and the original game mode from the addon wasn't ever used, but that's basically what it transformed into.
Sure. Started in ~2000 as the add on for UT using UE 1.0. Restarted in 2002 using UE 2.0.
I will say the add on levels all used photographs of Japan for the textures. Similar to Devastation's later Asian levels. But the Devastation levels were built mostly by Torbjörn Åhlén, whom had no hand in the addon.
Vic de Leon said:
Thanks Leo. It’s been 20 years since the UT addon pack. Yes it was tentatively called UT Devastation and was meant to be an expansion pack that took place in illegal street competitions by rival gangs and police. The opposite of the fancy tournaments sponsored by the Liandri Corporation from UT.
When it was past the mere addon stage, the details are fuzzy before it got canned yet again and then they made a deal with orange games instead of infogrames. Infogrames cancelled Unreal Devastation due to there being "many unreal products" on the market again and when they had a choice to either cancel PS2 UT or UD, UD got cancelled instead. You can still find traces of "UD" in the game files of the released game.

But from what little wayback machine revealed, the UD phase in 2001 contained a real singleplayer not just a tournament ladder like the addon, and the teamwork element was a thing already.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

Can we discuss Devastation in a Devastation related topic, please? This is about DNF 2001 popping out, a piece of history in its own right. No need to disrespectfully hijack this.

Well, currently there seems to be 3 ways to run the maps: via the August System folder, via the October system folder and via a MegaPatched System folder. I haven't tried either. Apparently Bombshell character (the lady from the trailers) was, sadly, already cut at that point, the model is only referenced but not present. The E3 Video folder is, essentially, mapfiles. It also exists under Maps, the repetitions are identical but some maps are in Maps\E3 Video, others are in E3 Video. Upon merging, there's a total of 44 of those. One map is zipped, judging from the JA_ prefix it belongs with the others, this brings us up to a total of 45 E3 maps. What about the others, I don't know yet. I am yet to launch this.

But, this is awesome. And more coming up? Color me impressed if this happens. Hopefully with the Bombshell character, so that hopefully stuff could be fixed up more faithfully.

At the moment, I have work on the 11th, but off on 12th, so I'll poke around more in-detail. This however will not derail Steele Dawn, I'd just like to assure you guys - all principal work is done and now I'm waiting for any feedback for SD Beta2, so me focusing on this DNF2001 epicness will not harm anything.

I do own the retail Gearbox DNF on Steam as well, so where possible, I'll try to compare things side by side. This'll be a fascinating day.
tightus
OldUnreal Member

Post by tightus »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:04 pm
makemeunreal wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:16 pm FOR REAAAL? I don't care about Duke Nukem, but it's always a good thing to have something that ran on UE.
Apparently there will be more maps/builds leaked by June if the guy delivers. Because I heard this doesn't have all the maps.

Also it has physics and you can pick up stuff judging from the videos, and this is before Devastation did something similar though i suspect that the UE1 version of Devastation, still called Unreal: Devastation, had something like that too as that was during 2001. Its interesting to see those bits being similar, the particles remind of the early 2000 Unreal 2 ones too. Its all close to each other in developement. Now only if we could have the early devastation material like when it was first just an UT addon, then an Unreal spinoff on 1.5 Unreal Engine similar to this...
This is incorrect. The June date was given as a joke about delaying Duke Nukem Forever. The content that has been released is the complete build.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

A test level has some mocap in a face that looks better than a lot of PS3 games. George Broussard really fucked up by repeatedly remaking the game due to a never ending need to be the shiniest newest coolest thing
Abs0lute_Zer0
OldUnreal Member

Post by Abs0lute_Zer0 »

[]KAOS[]Casey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:32 pm A test level has some mocap in a face that looks better than a lot of PS3 games. George Broussard really fucked up by repeatedly remaking the game due to a never ending need to be the shiniest newest coolest thing
Yo, just in case someone wanted to see it, I uploaded it on YT. I refuse to believe this is on UE1...

Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

[]KAOS[]Casey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:32 pm A test level has some mocap in a face that looks better than a lot of PS3 games. George Broussard really fucked up by repeatedly remaking the game due to a never ending need to be the shiniest newest coolest thing
DNF and Broussard aren't the only ones who suffered that. Look at Unreal 2, lot of the features even in the pre alpha UE1 builds is just missing from the UE2 versions and more. There, it was Epic/publishers to keep pushing for up to date tech which caused the game not to be so awesome anymore.

And really? Was the June thing a joke? I saw a video where someone claimed it was for real.

EDIT:
I hope that people can see that companies like Valve with half life 2 got way too much credit for their stuff, because you see there were interactive physics even in games like this way before. And Devastation too, although in the released version it is a bit buggy and leaves a lot to be desired.

EDIT2: Also if you want my opinion (and i havent ran the game yet), I think that it is technically impressive and all, but I don't think this really is a duke nukem game.
When the 2001 trailer was released, I thought that the game is a bit shallow and overdone, compared to the Q2 version or what followed.
This kind of confirms it for me, unfortunately the released game feels more like a duke game, despite all the problems it has.
EDIT3: I want to see new duke prank calls with the 2001 DNF sounds mixed in. :D
Abs0lute_Zer0
OldUnreal Member

Post by Abs0lute_Zer0 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:05 am
DNF and Broussard aren't the only ones who suffered that. Look at Unreal 2, lot of the features even in the pre alpha UE1 builds is just missing from the UE2 versions and more. There, it was Epic/publishers to keep pushing for up to date tech which caused the game not to be so awesome anymore.

And really? Was the June thing a joke? I saw a video where someone claimed it was for real.

EDIT:
I hope that people can see that companies like Valve with half life 2 got way too much credit for their stuff, because you see there were interactive physics even in games like this way before. And Devastation too, although in the released version it is a bit buggy and leaves a lot to be desired.

EDIT2: Also if you want my opinion (and i havent ran the game yet), I think that it is technically impressive and all, but I don't think this really is a duke nukem game.
When the 2001 trailer was released, I thought that the game is a bit shallow and overdone, compared to the Q2 version or what followed.
This kind of confirms it for me, unfortunately the released game feels more like a duke game, despite all the problems it has.
EDIT3: I want to see new duke prank calls with the 2001 DNF sounds mixed in. :D
Yo, check this out, I've seen this on /v/ and there's a pc port version of Unreal Championship, not complete, and I'm downloading it:
Thread : https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/598611389
Link to file: https://archive.org/details/unreal-championship-2-pc
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

That's not new, everyone talked about that more than a year ago and people provided fixes, including myself...

It first leaked in 2020.

There are tons of wip maps that didn't run by default and had to be fixed...

also in before Delacroix says its derailing the thread again.
Devil Master
OldUnreal Member

Post by Devil Master »

Why is this thread in the non-Unreal section? DNF has been using (an increasingly modified version of) UE1 since June 1998. This should be moved to the UE1/2 board for visibility, so people can easily find it and be encouraged to discuss modding it!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Devil Master wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:19 pm Why is this thread in the non-Unreal section? DNF has been using (an increasingly modified version of) UE1 since June 1998. This should be moved to the UE1/2 board for visibility, so people can easily find it and be encouraged to discuss modding it!
same with the unreal championship thread i guess
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Shivaxi did a video (and possibly more in streams) on this. Wonder why he hasn't posted about it on unreal forums anywhere unless I missed it.

Though he erroniously corrected himself that Unreal's release version was 100 then patched to 101 with 200 soon following.

No.

Sorry but how can this guy get the facts wrong or first right and then correct himself in error?

Unreal was released as 200, the 1.01 patch was 1.01 not version 101 of the engine and they dropped that numbering and it was simply a library fix. Not even version proper.

Actual version 100 was the planned shareware version that got dropped, the engine for that version was basically christmas 1997 or around it, and it was originally slated to be released around that time. The trailer that dropped around there was reflecting that though it was actually footage of version from late October or so.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:57 pmSorry but how can this guy get the facts wrong or first right and then correct himself in error?
I think you answered that question yourself. I mean, read yourself up. Patch 1.01 wasn't engine version 101 and so on... C'mon. To us (you, me, some others) it's obvious, especially with access to Tim Sweeney's logs... but can we really expect others to not be confused by this? Because let's be frank, it really looks messy from a layman's point of view and most people in the community are in fact laymen when it comes to such intricate details.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

yea though he gets all the views, is popular, is funny at times but often gets thiings horribly wrong even when you look at many threads he appeared in

and he obviously never checked the u2 protos even though they had similar stuff like dnf2001 but earlier... like it also had realistic glass shattering early on (in the maps that bothered to use it) and a lot of interesting test features like that hair map and even the earliest version has skeletal mesh support, dating back to january 2000, making that earlier than ut proper

yet he points out(to me painfully) how the menus/font is similar to u2 and i bet if we had more 2001 era stuff it'd be even more similar.

after all that kind of look is even in mobile forces and even the little of menu/dialog menu stuff that's left in the e3 alpha of unreal 2 has it similar too.

I bet the same with unreal warfare was the case too, similar style at the time.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

[]KAOS[]Casey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:15 am So. duke nukem forever 2001 actually leaked. it's on archive.org.

Interesting piece of history you found there! I’ve been wanting to play the original UE1 DNF for a long time now, I’ve actually got into unreal mapping because of that game, expecting to learn the ropes over here, then moving on to DNF once it came out, boy that didn’t turn out as expected...

Now I’ve been playing through some maps randomly, first thing I thought, the graphics look really neat for UE1, the visuals are quite on par with UE2 or HL2/Source. As far as the maps go they are really-really unfinished. I’ve just gone through the vegas strip maps, everything that was visible in the 2001 trailer was really all that there was, but it still it oozes so much atmosphere, much more than the vegas strip in the final game, which was just some dull street set piece lifted out of a COD game.

On a funny side note, i'm surprised that the game features an actual usable pinball machine, a pool table, slot machine, mail terminals, a vending machine, a PISSING mechanic with usable bathrooms, so much stuff that should have been prioritized last over getting the actual gameplay done, speaking of feature creep.

Overall, it’s a massive collection of unfinished idea’s/concepts, but it already shows so much more potential than the linear COD-clone generic FPS game it came to be at release around a decade later... what a shame.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Don't forget to dig though the maps folder for extra content. Mostly debug rooms, though.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Lol Civvie11 also made a featured video based on this.

Well apparently now people think that dnf2001 was first in using interactive keypads and this and that before Doom3...the shattering glass.

I have to say though that more than a year before this stuff the unreal 2 alpha had a realistic shattering glass (okay the dnf one is even better but still) and separate hair animation as test plus fire (it crashes the game in the only proper test map after a while but still enough to see monsters catch fire, the fire in the hell mission is more fake and doesn't do this)

Not just that but interactive keypads, well I showed how they work when placed in the steele dawn stuff, and this is a leftover from AWGD, a commercial addon for Unreal that was being developed in 1998 right after Unreal shipped!

here's even a small vid i recorded:
viewtopic.php?p=100462#p100462

While I didn't see it in action it also had looting of corpses (part of the code was still as leftover in steele dawn 220 since the merging of stuff by joe wilcox) and that was brought over to stone killer as well.

So yea sure DNF 2001 thought it all up! But this more obscure stuff is obviously ignored....

yea whatever...

oh my god...what if charlie wiederhold's somethingawful story was true after all! What if it..wasn't a joke...and the real reason all these projects were cancelled/pushed back were because of competition against dnf and dnf took all the ideas because they wanted to make it the best game of all time and claim credit and...

IT WAS A CONSPIRACY

DNF DID 9/11!!

THE TRUTHERS UNITE

EDIT:
Lol this is why Joe Wilcox doesn't want to release the true awgd assets...he must have had a deal with the "devil" about it because all those ideas/things ended up elsewhere. Even though it was his best project at the time *cough extreme paintbrawl cough*

edit2: in case anyone wonders what i'm referring to

https://web.archive.org/web/20090510095 ... ry-revival
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I basically played through all the maps or majority of it (and still waiting for my fucking file to be transfered by zeur for the custom dm level, which will also act as a tutorial for a certain trick to do).

But where in the world is that level I saw in one video, which had some test for pen marker? Was it leaked with this? Because that stuff I know just from videos of the release version of DNF but reportedly they did something more primitive here. What map does have this exactly?

Does anyone know? Casey?
EDIT: Nevermind it was ks_show_notepad apparently. Dunno how I missed it.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

There were more leaks recently, mostly unrelated to this but now there's also an art cd that was uploaded from 1998/1999 versions of DNF already on the unreal engine. It does contain bombshell model/skin, I saw the skin at least.

Either way, it also contained a map, kslab3, which actually does run under regular Unreal and only uses dnf textures (which had to be re-imported) and still has some missing textures, that are probably somewhere but at least the map runs now.

I attached screenshots taken by JackHonda (who reimported the two texture packages into unreal from dnf2001, again this seems to have some stuff missing (that might be actually on the art cd but I only sent him the map itself)).

I had to slightly reduce their file size because they were too large to accept here as attachment.

This was mainly just to test if this works and it does.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Anything else ?”