For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Separate "Predator" etc. thread

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Separate "Predator" etc. thread

Post by Leo T_C_K »

So I decided to make a new thread. Dedicated for all discussion about these subjects of Predator and any other connected fictional universes.

As I said in my last post in the other thread...there are things that didn't make sense in the other movies too, including the original.

It gets forgiven and forgotten given its status as a cult classic, but remember that when it came out a lot of people didn't like it. We took it for granted later but perhaps it shouldn't be put on such a pedestal. I often felt that the beginning part including the raid of the village didn't need to be there, but that was long ago. Now I have other things to comment. First, the overuse of the main theme so it makes less impact in the end and becomes more of a background music. This might work more in a game than a film. Second, the already mentioned mud covered issue, even if it was cold enough mud to fool the predator, the fact that his eyes don't show up on his display is a bit weird and too convenient.

I absolutely like the last part of the movie, but still there are bits and pieces that don't hold up over the years and also my opinion is different in different environment.

It is a contemporary piece of course and it introduced us to the great design of the predator (yautja as they are known in the extended universe).

In a way Predator 2 is better except somehow when he removes his mask there's the mistake that he still sees thermal as opposed to in the original. Even though the different mask modes were introduced in P2 also....
but P2 is in a way more fleshed out movie as unlike with the original they didn't reshoot so many things including how the predator would look. They were trying to find the footing in the original movie and I suppose any mistakes can be excused with that. But when it comes to consistency P2 seems to be better except for the mask removal error.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Re: Separate "Predator" etc. thread

Post by Gamesharder »

It's been a while since I saw the Predator movies, the first one is obviously a cult classic which made an impact on the Sci-fi genre back in the day.
I liked Predator 2 more than the first movie, I guess there was more variety in it for me? Sometimes I like sequels more than their predecessors lol
This is a good example and I also like Rob Zombie's Hellbilly Deluxe 2 album a bit more than the first one ;D
Borderlands 2 over Borderlands 1, another example. (Though both games really good)
Can't say the same thing with Unreal 2 tho.

Predators (2010) is also something I really liked. There were many good scenes.
The Predator (2018) I didn't see. Maybe in the future.
Prey (2022) I only watched the action scenes on YouTube and it seemed like a good movie. But dunno if it worths my time.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Separate "Predator" etc. thread

Post by Leo T_C_K »

What about the two AVP films? Why not include that in the list too?

Either way for me..Predators is not so high, too much nostalgia pandering/nonsense but it could be fixed into a good film. Like those quotes from the original film make no sense in context and there's no way some characters could know something, Danny Trejo's exit was not so good and he was wasted in this movie.

The 2018 movie, also known as Predator: Evolution, is fucking depressing in that the production was a mess with reshoots. But there's actually a decent film at the core there. Just the ending is not so good. But they had like 5 endings planned. The first one was just plain and had a helicopter landing with Arnold (who refused to make appearance), then the second ending was a variation of that without arnold, they shot that. But then the reshoots came, the middle part of the film got completely changed/reshot, emissary predators gone, the day setting gone in favor of night only or mostly night....the backstory with the genetics really rammed down/removed the hybrid creatures...
yea those are all the changes...i believe blu ray version has some deleted scenes but not many, not scenes before the big reshoot. I don't care what test audiences said the filmmaker should have been allowed to fulfill his vision.
Most people hate this film even without understanding most of it and the backstory. Oh yea but then there was a third ending...after the reshot one which was addled on top, it was like a post credit scene. It was a setup for another avp movie or so. This ending they actually shot, but it gets really cringey here. The third and fourth dropped endings have some time travel shit and there's Elen Ripley in a pod (no I am not kidding) and the other one had Newt as adult (how? maybe it was meant to tie into the cancelled Blokamp film)...
Yea I wish I was making this shit up. Both of those were shot and photos exist from it. The last ending they settled on, but its another cop out thing, there's that weird ass super suit thing (not surprising given the director directed iron man 3 but come on really, cycling through 5 different endings is ridiculous).

Return to “Anything else ?”