For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[HP2] Weird Mouse Input on Windows 10

This Board features Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (UE1), Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (UE1) and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (UE2).
Pepper.Roni

[HP2] Weird Mouse Input on Windows 10

Post by Pepper.Roni »

Hello OldUnrealForums,

I've searched the Internet far and wide and came upon no report or solution of the problem I am going to present. This should be interesting from a coding perspective as well as keeping these games playable as the years pass.

As one does expect, Harry Potter 1 through 3 run fairly flawless on modern systems, if one uses a wrapper, in my case dgVoodoo 2 and Riva Tuner Statistics Server to cap the Framerate to avoid overcycling and cutscenes being cut short.
However, I encountered a problem that is far too weird to not make public:

In HP2, when using mouselook, the camera turn speed to the left is about double to 3 times that of the turn speed to the right. (the same thing happens in HP1 when using the strafe mod, i assume because it just injects the code from HP2 into HP1)
Now, I have done some extensive testing, by method of wiggling my view at equal speeds left and right. the expected result is the character turning left, stopping, turning left and so on, because the mouse movement is smoothed, thus movement in opposite directions will first decelerate movement in one direction and then accelerate to the desired direction. the character will turn left, stop, turn left, because of the different speeds. here are my findings:

Any Windows mouse setting does not change the outcome
Any Windows Compatibility setting does not change the outcome
turn speed when using keys is normal, using the turn speed specified in the User.INI
using the laptop touchpad does not seem to reproduce the issue, inconclusive, because i cant turn far enough to verify

this one is the kicker tho:
I used Controller Companion to use my Xbox 360 pad to emulate keyboard and mouse inputs
the onset acceleration in both left and right directions are identical up to a certain point. however the turn speed to right seems capped at 3 times lesser than that of turn speed left. so turning right and left is identical until right hits the cap and left keeps accelerating. Also i found out that when you hoid the stick i used to emulate mouse to either direction for half a second and then also start looking up and down, these directions also get accelerated to near infinity. it all goes back to normal once one stops moving the camera.

I hope someone here can make something of this peculiar input problem.

Return to “Harry Potter Series”