For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Klingon Honor Guard

Please add information, maps, mods, links or anything else related to The Next Generation: Klingon Honor Guard here.
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Re: Klingon Honor Guard

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Thanks for reuploadimg this!!

And yeah, the music files I've made from the CD audio tracks are seamless loops. Does 227 support OGG files? That would put the file size down dramatically
Also it'd be a lot easier I'm sure to make some kind of custom activators in maps that allow for the music track changes I've been wanting to implement properly.
SC-55 Music Packs
Roland SC-55 Music Packs for old DOS games!
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

Post by Amaroq Clearwater »

Yes, 227 supports Ogg Vorbis :P
BeyondTheSun.umx is actually an Ogg.

I wonder if 227 also supports Ogg Opus... What I personally want though is a version of the Ogg codec that supports loop points, that way I can get the imported UT3 soundtrack to loop properly.
Read the bio for my fursona here:
*OUTDATED LINK, WILL BE REPLACED SOON*

---

"Daddy, I had a nightmare."
"What is it, darling?"
"The next Unreal won't have Deck16..."
"That&
ShinDarkfox
OldUnreal Member

Post by ShinDarkfox »

Thanks for reuploadimg this!!

And yeah, the music files I've made from the CD audio tracks are seamless loops. Does 227 support OGG files? That would put the file size down dramatically
Also it'd be a lot easier I'm sure to make some kind of custom activators in maps that allow for the music track changes I've been wanting to implement properly.
It may be easier for me to edit the scripts so it just passes to the song files rather than from a CD track. I'm certain that exists in the scripts somewhere... that way the actual map editing will be minimal save for patching those overlapping actor names.
Last edited by ShinDarkfox on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Sorry that's not what I meant. I'm working on setting dynamic music changes for each level depending on action and location like the original Unreal. Different music tracks for being above ground and in the sewers, for instance, or being in a ship/station and going out into space. It becomes difficult when you have a level like the Klingon Homeworld and there are multiple exits and entries to the sewers all over the city. The KHG levels are mostly non-linear unlike Unreal. Still, the experiments I've made are very effective. The problem is you can't compile anything in KHG's UnrealEd it just crashes so it's very limiting.

It was actually very trivial to get the levels to play from UMXs instead of CD Tracks. What I couldn't change and was hardcoded was the music change on level completion. Attempting to alter anything in scripts and compile it like I said just crashes UnrealEd so I've been unable to experiment there.
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC-55 Music Packs
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

Well, you could create an actor that links multiple MusicEvents together to all behave as one, and to not reactivate unless a conflicting music event has been activated afterwards.

For instance, you could place these custom music events all over a map, and use some custom function to manually link the nodes together. Once you touch any of these Networked MusicEvents, then the music will change once. The music will not change at any point until you touch a MusicEvent in a different network or one that is isolated. For instance, moving between certain districts of a city or sectors of a ship, like in KHG.

You could even set special properties, such as having a song play only once, and then having it activate another MusicEvent network. This example would be especially useful in a Metroid-style game, such as picking up a missile expansion and then having it return to the area's music.
Last edited by Amaroq Clearwater on Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Nice! It's just another problem with KHG's UnrealEd not being able to customize any actors without crashing, again why I'm excited for the possibility of a KHG 227.
SC-55 Music Packs
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Ok, running into trouble getting this working. I've made a new UnrealGold folder and put the contents of Klingons.rar into the System folder. I then copied the sound, texture, and map assets from my KHG folder to the new Unreal Gold folder in their respective subfolders. When I try to open a KHG map it says there are still things missing. Specifically classes from Core. When I replace Core.u with the one from KHG, however, the game crashes on startup instead saying that it can't find those classes. Specifically 'Core.StringProperty'. When I copy over the Core.dll as well, it says:

"The procedure entry point
??0UClass@@QAE@W4ENativeConstructor@@KKPAV0@1VFGuid@@P
B_W33KP6AXPAX@ZP8UObject@@AEXXZ@Z could not be located in
the dynamic link library Core.dll."

So obviously the old Core.dll is not compatible with Unreal Gold and Unreal Gold's Core.dll is not compatible with Klingons.u. So....what do I do?

Other levels like klingons.unr can't find classes for Klingon captains. Another one couldn't find the class for an Andorian. Are they not in Klingons.u? The multiplayer levels work fine, however. As well as the weapons (except for the flying disc which freaks out when you try to recall it). They don't have any enemy classes in them, though.
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC-55 Music Packs
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

Are you using Unreal Gold 226, or Unreal 227? That KHG file was modified specifically for 227.

As for Core.DLL, you should NEVER replace that. From Unreal 227 to Unreal Tournament, from Unreal Tournament to Unreal, etc.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

I'm using 227.

Ok, if I keep all the DLL and U files the same and just add Klingons.u, when I try to load a level (like M02, the first level) it gives me an error:

Code: Select all

Failed to enter m02: Can't find file for package 'WinDrv'

History: UGameEngine::Init
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC-55 Music Packs
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

It is possible the wrong Klingons.u file was uploaded.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Hmm. Can you confirm, ShinDarkfox?
SC-55 Music Packs
ShinDarkfox
OldUnreal Member

Post by ShinDarkfox »

Alright, I'll be uploading a newer version that supports M02 and M03 including the WinDrv.u I'm using.

http://tempsend.com/966927D96C

And there it is... it should work, it is working for my 227i.

Oh, there is also support for the intro loop map under KlingonIntro game type. I may include this later in the rotation when things are more refined.

Note: This is only a test version, I'm going to try focusing on just getting things to work as accurately as they are intended than adding more compatibility to maps. I also have a hack that forces Klingon ladders to spawn 227 ladders which works fairly well so far.

Basically I'm going to have to systematically update KHG to meet the more updated U1 engine since it was built on an early one. Of course this also makes it easier than converting say... Deus Ex and X-Com: Enforcer, those were a far greater hassle to get anything to even partially work. KHG is... vanilla when it comes to core optimizations.
Last edited by ShinDarkfox on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this! I understand the proper way to go about it is to get everything working from the ground up before adding compatibility for specific maps. I didn't realize that the SP maps weren't technically "supported" yet. Still, it's fascinating to run through!

I notice that your character is much smaller compared to that of the character you play in KHG itself. I feel like a hobbit lol. Interesting to see the difference there. I also notice that the models don't have any smooth shading as far as I can tell. They seem a lot more blocky with visible triangles than in KHG. Is this a renderer difference?
Yes, 227 supports Ogg Vorbis :P
BeyondTheSun.umx is actually an Ogg.
Hmm, how do I create UMXs from OGGs with UnrealGold's UnrealEd? It doesn't end up actually converting and UnrealEd becomes unstable and doesn't respond to anything until I close it, after which it gives an error message about the Main Loop.

Never mind, I figured it out. Stupid moment. Just used to working with UnrealEd 219's interface.
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SC-55 Music Packs
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

Once the guy with the name I can never spell write implements MO3 support, you can effectively have Oggs with loop points (skipping a bit of the beginning when looping.)

An MO3 is created by taking an ImpulseTracker module, loading it with the MO3 software, and then replacing every sample with either MP3, Ogg or some-lossless-codec I haven't tried.

Works especially well with the UT3 soundtrack! :3 (I'll email you two the test files tomorrow.)

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

I'm familiar with OGG loop points by use of custom metadata (LOOP_START/LOOP_END in pcm samples). I've used them for the SC-55 MIDI soundtracks I recorded for Doom and Duke3D. EDuke32, ZDoom, and other source ports use it, perhaps it shold be considered for Unreal Gold as well, if possible. It's beautiful. Love the seamless sound. I have the tracks fade out at the end as well for listening pleasure, but you'd never know it when playing in-game. :)
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
SC-55 Music Packs
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

That actually turns me on slightly... As in it is turning my Audacity mode back on... To send you the Metroid Prime soundtracks as Oggs so you can demonstrate with something I am already familiar with :P

All joking aside, I seriously need to get some sleep.
Last edited by Amaroq Clearwater on Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
ShinDarkfox
OldUnreal Member

Post by ShinDarkfox »

I notice that your character is much smaller compared to that of the character you play in KHG itself. I feel like a hobbit lol. Interesting to see the difference there. I also notice that the models don't have any smooth shading as far as I can tell. They seem a lot more blocky with visible triangles than in KHG. Is this a renderer difference?
1) The only thing I've noticed is that in character selection the characters are small (probably the initial sizing KHG does), in real comparison (ingame) they are a bit taller than Male One. Which is actually rather accurate if you take Worf into account.

2) Probably a renderer difference... everything is a little different visually... would you be willing to make a side-by-side screenshot?
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Sorry for the delay.

Here are some comparison screenshots of roughly the same area (different positions to take advantage of maximum lighting). You can see the Bat'leth, storage containers, and the dead klingon warrior are all quite jagged and 'box-ish' in KHG 227 compared to the original. As if smoothing was not added to the final model. I know this was an important part of modelling around the Half-Life era with MDL models, but I don't know what Unreal's model format is like and what information it retains separate from the engine/renderer. If it's part of the model, I'm not sure how the smoothing information wasn't carried over when copied to 227. If it's part of the renderer that doesn't make much sense either because Unreal's models have it. If it's part of the code then it might make sense that Klingons.u isn't perfectly converted over yet. I don't really see how it would have anything to do with that, though.

[url][/url]
[url][/url]

I'm also running KHG Classic with a nGlide (a 3DFX wrapper) which WAS superior back then to both Direct3D and OpenGL, but the dispersion pistol weapon in Unreal Gold and every other model in the regular Unreal campaign are all smoothed and nice-looking.
SC-55 Music Packs
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

Try running KHG Classic without nGlide and KHG 227 with nGlide. I am not sure if it will do anything, but I try to collect as much data as I possibly can before jumping to conclusions.
Last edited by Amaroq Clearwater on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
ShinDarkfox
OldUnreal Member

Post by ShinDarkfox »

Well, if you look between KHG and 227 the lighting is majorly different so yes, there is that. I wonder how I could adjust for that...

Update 1: Lighting IS certainly different but graphics are kinda blocky in the default KHG renderer on my end. Maybe it was something the 3DFX renderer did... investigating...

Update 2: It does appear to be lighting not giving everything those smoother edges... hm...

That being said, recent things:

-Changed ladder implementation to have a 10 collisionradius so a sewer ladder will work in the M03 sewers as well as a conditional check for DR12 so the bunk ladders work. Still need to do more tweaks to reduce "ladder spazzing."

-KlingonSinglePlayer is available through BotMatch but trying to make it work through the NewGame menu and level transitions work better.

-Level transitions in KlingonSinglePlayer work fine, just no score screen yet.

-Several little things to bring code more to spec with 227, next is to update general messages.

Glitches:

-Despite the code and fonts being there, no text appears on the HUD or menus. Must have been a change that isn't picking up for 227...

-Droids explode into an amazing shower of lag inducing bits and overlapping effects and sounds. Need to just force it to stop spawning gibs and effects. Funny this is how it is going with just the vanilla corpse.

-Sound issue still exists from earlier. Inexplicably mute enemies do not yell their lines even though they should be. Logs show it is being called. I REALLY wish somebody knew what was going on because I do not.

-"Ladder spazzing."

-Some weapon aiming problems but I'm sure I can track it down. And I need to fix it so bots can actually aim with them.

Anyways, got finals coming up so I'll be focusing on that. But when this gets to working better I will be looking to implementing cutscenes and music.
Last edited by ShinDarkfox on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

@MusicallyInspires Another theory regarding lighting... Perhaps flat-shading is enabled? Try checking your Unreal.ini file and disabling it.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

That doesn't explain why all the Unreal models look nice and smooth. I'll check it, though.

Also, I never had any problem aiming weapons. The only thing I've run into was the Spin Claw wigging out and going haywire when you recall it.
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC-55 Music Packs
ShinDarkfox
OldUnreal Member

Post by ShinDarkfox »

Popping in shortly to state a few things, still busy with college work:

KlingonWeapons had bNoSmooth set so I changed that, that was part of the problem. Will investigate deeper on other issues when I'm done with finals.

Also, try giving the weapons to bots and also try shooting an enemy at point blank range. If you go third-person, you will see yourself shooting in weird angles.
Last edited by ShinDarkfox on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

Okay. Good luck with your finals.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
ShinDarkfox
OldUnreal Member

Post by ShinDarkfox »

Thank you! Also, last update, fixed bot aiming.

Return to “The Next Generation: Klingon Honor Guard”