For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Klingon Honor Guard UMX Project (De-CD-ification)

Please add information, maps, mods, links or anything else related to The Next Generation: Klingon Honor Guard here.
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Klingon Honor Guard UMX Project (De-CD-ification)

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Wasn't sure if this should go in the Unreal Music forum or this one...

I'm working on a KHG project which makes dynamic use of UMX music files (much like Unreal SP did) instead of the CD Audio tracks. Each CD track contains two songs, about two minutes or so of fast-paced orchestral Klingon music and then about a minute or so of quieter suspenseful themes. I always thought that this was strange and didn't work well with the pacing or atmosphere at all. So I separated the fast-paced tracks from the suspenseful ones and made them loop seamlessly by working with the audio data in a DAW. I even extended some of the suspenseful themes because they were simply too short. Then I packaged them into UMX files and will trigger them at appropriate times during the game by creating new Triggers and MusicEvents. My preliminary tests have been successful and it has really impacted the pacing of the game! The goal is to get the game entirely independent of requiring the CD (I'm talking about the CD tracks specifically, however, for my own personal use, I've already hacked the windrv.dll file to remove the CD check because it's so annoying).

The point of doing all this is A) for the fun and creativity, and B) even if you have the CD in your drive the music doesn't always play and when it does it's far too loud. The CD tracks don't always play because the game is hardcoded to look for the tracks in the first CD-ROM device only. So if you have multiple CD drives or have a virtual drive the tracks won't play unless the device your CD or CD image is loaded in is the first CD drive device. This requires going into Administrative Tools and reconfiguring the drive letters which is annoying. This solves that whole problem and also the problem of volume control as it is now configurable in-game!

As for the fun part, here's an example. In level two, the Klingon city where you have to break into the guarded compound, the orchestral music now plays as normal (but with the added benefit of seamless looping), but when you head down into the sewers underneath the city, the music changes to the quieter suspenseful theme (and loops seamlessly). Then when you come back up from the sewer inside the building the music shifts back again to the klingon theme. There are a lot of ways I can think of to utilize these dynamic changes effectively throughout the game (some I'll need help with!). Some levels could even start with the suspenseful theme first and shift to the fast-paced battle music later on when meeting large groups of enemies. It's been a fun project to work on. Encountered a few snags, but found workarounds.

I do have some questions I'd like to pose to those who may know (or may know a way to find) answers:

1) When you beat a level in KHG the screen changes to show your game stats for that level. When this happens it stops the currently playing music and plays CD track 7. I've been trying to find where this occurs in scripts but I can't find any. The game responds to these endoflevel events with two kinds of teleporters: AVITeleporter (which plays a mission briefing AVI for the next level) or just Teleporter (for levels that are split up into multiple parts and don't have a mission briefing in between). However, I can find no reference to music changes in either scripts or in the Gamestats script. Would this be hardcoded somewhere else by any chance? What are the chances of finding and altering this functionality?

2) I've been poking around the KHG menu scripts to try and add a menu item for setting music volume via a slider like the current sound volume slider. The menu system still baffles me, however, as the scripts for each menu reference what happens when you interact with each item but I cannot find where the menu lists themselves are setup or how to add a new entry. Any help here? Remember, KHG is not a UWindow game so it uses the classic Unreal menu, if that makes a difference.

...I'm sure there were more questions I had, but I can't recall them now. When I remember I'll post them.
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SC-55 Music Packs
Roland SC-55 Music Packs for old DOS games!
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Re: Klingon Honor Guard UMX Project (De-CD-ification)

Another question regarding triggering MusicEvents. How can I set up a Trigger system so that it toggles between triggering two MusicEvents when crossed? Giving the Klingon City example again, there is the above ground area and the sewers underneath the city. There are multiple entrances and exits to/from the sewers. Is there a technique I can use to trigger one MusicEvent change when entering the sewer through any of these entrances and then trigger the other MusicEvent when you come back out of any of these exits? Is it possible to toggle between two different MusicEvents in this way? Possibly with the same Triggers perhaps triggering something else that does the toggling? And they'd have to work between entrances. So every time a Trigger is touched the music toggles, and not necessarily the same Trigger.

Hmmm, is it possible to only have a Trigger trigger if certain conditions are met?

EDIT: It seems that ConditionalTrigger would be what I need but it only seems to exist in UT200x. Can I reproduce this functionality somehow for the older UnrealEd 219?

EDIT 2: Sorry, another edit. And sorry for so many questions! Could I use the ZoneInfo actor somehow to trigger different MusicEvents depending on where the player is? I see that there are ActorEntered and ActorLeaving properties but they only seem to exist in UT200x as well. Frustrating! lol

How does the ZoneInfo's Events>Event property trigger? Just by entering it? Maybe that's all I need?
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC-55 Music Packs
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Nobody can help? Is this forum just not that lively lately? :(
SC-55 Music Packs
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Come on, it's the holidays, of course people are busy elsewhere.

To answer your question: one solution would be to have triggers at every entry/exit of the sewers to change the music accordingly. Another would be to use the zoneinfo actor: setting ZonePlayerEvent to your musicevent's tag triggers the event whenever the player enters the zone. So put the ZonePlayerEvent of the sewer's zoneinfo to the musicevent that rules the sewer music, and the upper zoninfo's ZonePlayerEvent to the musicevent that rules the normal song.

All in all, it tookme 5 minutes to test that.
You must construct additional pylons.
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

You're right. Upon reflection that was incredibly insensitive of me, I apologize. Please excuse my ignorant behaviour, not a very good first impression. It was not my intention to make anyone feel insulted or anything.

Thanks for you response! Please remember that I am completely new to Unreal editing and I don't know all of the functions of every actor and their possibilities. I have a great amount of respect for everyone's abilities and understanding of the Unreal engine here! I don't know very much, but I do learn fairly quickly. I stumbled through the code and the wiki and discovered things like the ZoneInfo actor and the ZonePlayerEvent and such after spending a lot of time with it. I did tests with ZonePlayerEvent and it works, the problem is it's not very ideal, especially with the sewers. Because the sewers contain water zones every time you dive underwater and come back up for air the music re-cues again each time. Also, the world above has no ZoneInfo actors. I read that LevelInfo acts as a ZoneInfo actor for all zones that don't have one, but setting its ZonePlayerEvent is inneffective and does nothing. Plus, even if it worked, there are multiple zones above ground so leaving each of these zones would also re-cue THAT music cue, unless there's a more intelligent way I can be setting it up...for now I'm not quite sure how.

In mission 10 (on the Andorian ship) there are sections where you can exit the ship and traverse the outer hull both to find secrets and to advance further in the level. Setting space's ZoneInfo ZonePlayerEvent to the music cue works fine. However, each secret door outside the ship is also a separate zone so entering the secret and exiting again re-cues the space music again. Also, the zones inside the ship have no ZoneInfo actors. Using LevelInfo's ZonePlayerEvent doesn't work, it wouldn't be ideal anyway because entering different zones inside the ship and exiting would have the same problem as the space secrets, the music gets re-cued. Adding a ZoneInfo actor and setting its ZonePlayerEvent strangely does not work at all. I don't understand why. Is there some special property or setting that must be set for each ZoneInfo to be active?

I really wish there was a way to trigger Triggers based on certain conditions, like whether the player is in a certain zone or not. Having multiple triggers on the inside and outside of doors is another answer, but then if you even walked by the door the music would change even if you don't enter it. It would be nice if the Trigger (or the MusicEvent) would only trigger if the music isn't playing already. But I don't know if UnrealEd 219 is even capable of that.

Thanks so much for your help I don't take it lightly. Happy holidays and a Happy New Year to you all! :)
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC-55 Music Packs
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Don't be sorry, you're not the only one requesting stuff and wanting it fast. As a newcomer, don't worry, you'll find all needed help here, there are many people who know this engine by heart.

First, you said you were mapping with KHG. The best thing to do would be to look at the maps themselves and see how it works: there must be an actor used for such an effect, or maybe a way this is set up. There is maybe a tricky way to pull it off with some combination of normal triggers.
Also, the world above has no ZoneInfo actors. I read that LevelInfo acts as a ZoneInfo actor for all zones that don't have one, but setting its ZonePlayerEvent is inneffective and does nothing.
The levelinfo does not work like a regular zoneinfo. Some things like its ZonePlayerEvent doesn't seem to work indeed.

Now, reflecting about your problem.

The best way for you would probably be to have a trigger to switch music at the entry/exit of your sewer: it would prevent the problem that comes with the water zones in the sewers, and would make sure the change happens only at the entries, and remains for as long as you remain in the same part of the map. It also would make sure the music isn't retriggered when it's not needed.

Another way, which is, I think, the quick, easy and messy way to do it, would be to have a trigger with a huge radius encompassing the totality of your sewers, and another one encompassing all of the outside world, and have them trigger music event.
This work because:
  • The event is sent when the player enters the trigger's radius, and the trigger's radius can be extended over several zones.
  • When leaving the trigger's radius, there is no end to the effect until the player enters the trigger again or into another trigger.
Here are how things work in this example: Player enters the sewers and imediately enters the radius of Trigger n°1, which sents an event to activate the sewers music. The Trigger covers all of the sewers, so that the player never leaves its radius.
When going up and outside of the sewers, Player leaves the radius of Trigger 1 (no effect), and enters imediately the radius of Trigger 2 which activates the outside music. As long as he remains outside, he never leaves the radius of Trigger2, except when entering the sewers, at which point he enters the radius of Trigger 1.

The only downside of this is that if the player spawns inside the radius of one of these triggers, he will hear no music until he moves a bit, at which point his presence inside the radius will be noticed.

However, the music will still be reset whenever the player enters the radius of another trigger, then back into the huge music trigger.

In the end, I'm afraid there is no simple way I know of of pulling this trick without a specific actor. Again: I advise you check the maps themselves in the game and see how the effect works, if a special actor is used or a combination of actors tricked into having the right behaviour.
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Large Trigger radii...I didn't think of that! That would definitely work well for a sewer/above ground setting. That would definitely insure that the wrong track doesn't get played at the wrong time. For space/spaceship zones, however, that would be a little harder to pull off. Though I cold have small Triggers at all the airlock exits and have larger ones encompassing the insides of the ships/space stations.

As far as looking at the maps themselves, that's pretty much exactly what I am doing. What I'm doing is making changes to all the existing maps (rather than creating new ones) to implement dynamic UMX tracks instead of the straight CD track calls that are present in each level's LevelInfo. The maps don't have any special actors for music changes because the game uses CD audio tracks which just play through the duration of the whole level. The only MusicEvents present are stops for cutscenes and level changes in certain areas. KHG does have unique actors for different functions, but one for music changes isn't one of them unfortunately.

Unreal's design centers around this capability, however, as it was designed for dynamic UMX music obviously. They are much more linear and have a continuous "point a to point b" styled approach. KHG's level designs don't take this into account and are a little more like the old-school self-contained "large maze" design so it's harder to approach to make these changes. It's a tough job, probably tougher than its worth, but I enjoy the challenge of solving puzzles like this. Plus it helps me understand the engine all the more. :) I have aspirations of creating a new self-contained series of maps for KHG as there really haven't been any custom maps made for it at all, and this is all experience gained to that end. But that's a long ways off if I even get to it. For now, these challenges will suffice.

How about my earlier question about customizing the menu? As I said, I've found the classes for what happens in each menu screen (New Game, Options, etc), but I cannot find a way to add or edit new entries to a specific menu. I've tried to search up on customizing Unreal menus but there isn't much information. I've also tried looking at Unreal's menu design (the old style menu, not UWindow) and haven't found anything either. Is this something hardcoded perhaps or are there menu entry listings somewhere else that I'm not looking?

Thanks!
SC-55 Music Packs
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I can't answer the menu question because it would require, I believe, some scripting. It's out of my field of competence unfortunately.

As for the music stuff, if the game doesn't make it possible, then you'll have to think about something. The large trigger radius trick I mentioned is an imperfect solution to the problem, for the reasons I gave: no music until the player moves, retriggering each time the player enters another trigger inside the trigger's radius (so that if a door is opened by a trigger in the outside world, opening the door will have the outside song restart. Same in the sewers, if a door has to be opened via a trigger, the sewers music will restart instantly). However, it gives you the best control, as it acts like the ZonePlayerEvent, but can be extended over several zones at once.

Another solution would be to script a small actor where you would enter two songs and a list of zones for each song. If you have some Unreal Script knowledge, this might be the best option. Otherwise, you'll need someone to do it for you, or learn to do it. I'd help you if I could do such a thing.
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Ahh. So multiple small Triggers inside a large one will cause the large one to trigger again when exited. That is indeed not favourable. I'll have to brush up on Unreal Scripting then. Seeing as my other two questions in my first post have to do more with scripting, I'll wait for someone more knowledgeable there to respond. Thanks for your advice! I may have more questions about mapping later on as I go.
SC-55 Music Packs
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

So after completing my task of transforming the CD Audio tracks into perfectly looping UMX files, I decided to go back and attempt to recreate one of the tracks as an actual proper tracked MOD. I gathered some samples from my libraries and used an existing MOD as a base. There are still some samples in there that I'm not happy with, and this song isn't completely copied yet, but it's a nice start I think. Though, it's much easier to recreate an orchestral song than it is to recreate some of the synth music from the game with all their unique sound effects. It'd be easier if I knew what equipment was used when recording the original score, but unfortunately I don't. The orchestral sounds are very similar to Roland/Edirol ones that I've heard/used, however. Either way, 30 MB down to 6.6MB a song IS a better trade-off. But recreating all the songs takes a LOT more time.

Here's the original and the work in progress of my recreation. It's an IT module so it'll play in Winamp or VLC or something. It will not play in WMP, obviously. The original MOD I'm working over was called "Distant Voyage", which is why it has that title. It's not the name of the song, though. :)

[url=http://brandonblume.com/track2.ogg]Original Track[/url]
[url=http://brandonblume.com/track2.it]ReTracked MOD[/url]

Thoughts?
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
SC-55 Music Packs
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

You are to be congratulated for doing this, while most people are trying to hack a WAV into a UMX.

The opening needs more beef, and sounds thin compared to the original.
Other than that very well done 8-)
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Indeed, I need to congratulate you. It's extremely true to the original, even the samples are insanely similar to the real song. The amount of time and effort needed to recreate the entire song note by note is astonishing, and of course, it's thousands of times better than an wav of similar size.

Great work!
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Thanks! Like I said, these take ages to do. This one took me over half a day's work and it's only about a quarter done. So it's slow, but fun to see it come together.
SC-55 Music Packs
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

Post by Amaroq Clearwater »

Are the CD-tracks mono perchance? The reason I ask is that the developer of KHG was Microprose, and they also made the game MechCommander in the same year.

I was trying to make the MechCommander Gold soundtrack usable in Unreal, because I love the songs from that game. The songs are all 22.05 kHz, and they are all mono. However, they are also all 16-Bit WAVs, so importing them into an ImpulseTracker or ScreamTracker project won't increase their filesize. Not only that, but it'll let me import them via Unreal Editor.

I discovered something on accident while I was doing that. Since I was using ModPlug Tracker, and forgot to turn off my various Player Settings, the music seemed to sound different, and when I looked at the global volume visualizer (or whatever its called), it was showing the Left and Right channels getting louder and quieter independently. That is when I checked my player settings, and sure enough "Dolby Pro-Logic Surround", "Reverb" and "Bass Expansion" were all checked. That, and the Dolby thing was maxed out on both sliders.

Dolby Pro-Logic is a very powerful thing. If only it were integrated directly into Unreal Engine -.-
Last edited by Amaroq Clearwater on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read the bio for my fursona here:
*OUTDATED LINK, WILL BE REPLACED SOON*

---

"Daddy, I had a nightmare."
"What is it, darling?"
"The next Unreal won't have Deck16..."
"That&
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

No, the KHG tracks are high quality, stereo, mixed and mastered.
SC-55 Music Packs
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

Oh. In that case, these new UMXs probably take up a lot of space. What method do you use? Do you convert them to Oggs for 227, or do you use ModPlug tracker?

----

Something I do is I use Audacity to down-sample the song from 44.1 kHz to 32 kHz (using the Highest-quality resampling method), then when I import it as a sample in ModPlug Tracker, I split the sample into two Mono samples, one for Left Channel and one for Right channel. Next, I convert them to 8-bit.

This is a good way to reduce the file size without sacrificing too much quality, and making it still be compatible with UE1 since it isn't trying to read a single Stereo sample. Sadly, I can only bring down the file size so far unless I want to resort to converting it to mono or bringing it down to 22.05 kHz. There is also the option of using Oggs (for 227), but those don't support looping points.

----

By the way, how did you hack your DLL file? I don't have any files that will let me do that. At least, in English, all I get is machine language.
Last edited by Amaroq Clearwater on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

I could lower the quality but my goal is to preserve the quality and make the experience as seamless and authentic as possible. I'm not a fan of downgrading audio quality. Also, 227 is not available for KHG. There was a project on these forums to update it manually, but it seems to have been abandoned.

I can't remember what the name of the program I used was, but I followed instructions I found specifically foe KHG online somewhere.
SC-55 Music Packs
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

Ummm, I don't suppose this would be another game that uses GameSpy ? :-/
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Actually KHG used HEAT.
SC-55 Music Packs
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

By the way, how did you hack your DLL file? I don't have any files that will let me do that. At least, in English, all I get is machine language.
Replying again because I found the website that explained the process.

[url]http://www.woodmann.com/krobar/tutlist/tutlist1060.htm[/url]

It ultimately came to hex editing it, but to know what to hex edit you had to run a program called Wdasm which ran in the background, I believe, while the game was running and captured all the system calls and whatnot. Or something. It shows where and why the CD drive is accessed and it involves just change the values in the hex editor to something different so that the game just never checks for the CD and just assumes it's always there. It's all there on the website, anyway.
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC-55 Music Packs
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

Has there been any progress with this? When can we expect all the tracks converted? Thanks in advance.
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

I haven't had any time to do any more (or even finish the first one). I have the CD ripped versions all complete but rearranging them in MOD format manually with decent quality takes a while.

As far as implementation into the game, that's mostly done as well. I was trying to find a way to transition from one track to another every time you enter/exit an airlock in space, but haven't found an acceptable method of doing that yet. I can fake it as long as you stay on a predefined path but who's to say a player won't go back in the way he came? The music wouldn't switch back.

I can upload what I have. I can try to do that this week.
SC-55 Music Packs
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

For those of us who are running 227, you can upload the Ogg versions right away. Meanwhile, you can find instructions on the OpenMPT forums to enable ImpulseTracker module compression (OpenMPT's compression is actually several times more efficient than IT's own compression). Because it compresses the modules and contained samples through deflation, you don't lose any audio fidelity. Meanwhile, you can also convert the samples to FLAC.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Ok, very late but here's the project in its current form. All the levels that use music in the game (all the SP levels, basically) are included and have been set up to trigger the included UMX files instead of triggering CD tracks. You may have to insure that music is enabled in advanced options (not in the game itself, that will toggle CD music tracks only, I believe, which wouldn't work at all for these maps). It's pretty hefty at 254MB.

A reminder that this is not the re-tracked music from scratch as I am no where near finishing that. In fact, I haven't made any progress at all since the initial test with track2.it. These UMX's are ripped straight from the redbook tracks on the CD. They are, however, edited for perfect seamless playback. I haven't created compressed UMX versions yet, but with these included files one could do that easily I suppose. But again, those won't work with KHG 1.1. Actually, I'm not even sure if these will work with KHG 1.0. You can try it. I'd be interested to find out, actually.

https://www.mediafire.com/?ttqhlu43e2c8a48 (254 MB)

And here's the OGG version of the pack. Much smaller, but only works in 227.

https://www.mediafire.com/?awsb65zgo7d0amw (45.2MB)
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Thu May 28, 2015 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
SC-55 Music Packs
Lurker
OldUnreal Member

Post by Lurker »

Ok, very late but here's the project in its current form. All the levels that use music in the game (all the SP levels, basically) are included and have been set up to trigger the included UMX files instead of triggering CD tracks. You may have to insure that music is enabled in advanced options (not in the game itself, that will toggle CD music tracks only, I believe, which wouldn't work at all for these maps). It's pretty hefty at 254MB.

A reminder that this is not the re-tracked music from scratch as I am no where near finishing that. In fact, I haven't made any progress at all since the initial test with track2.it. These UMX's are ripped straight from the redbook tracks on the CD. They are, however, edited for perfect seamless playback. I haven't created compressed UMX versions yet, but with these included files one could do that easily I suppose. But again, those won't work with KHG 1.1. Actually, I'm not even sure if these will work with KHG 1.0. You can try it. I'd be interested to find out, actually.

https://www.mediafire.com/?ttqhlu43e2c8a48 (254 MB)
Good work. Thanks for this release!
I have downloaded your package and I will install and try it with KHG v1.1

By the way, your tracker music files do already come compiled in Unreal's UMX music packages, unless you uploaded a different pack as intended.

I said "compiled", because the tracker files inside *.umx packages are not compressed actually, they are just stored in uncompressed form with the Unreal Header information at the top (see in hex editor). Same for *.uax sound and .utx texture packages. That's why the gamefiles can become so big sometimes. I can see that your umx packages are about 20-30 MB in size each. That's huge indeed.

I assume you have created the tracker files themselves with ModPlug Tracker. That's the easiest way. Just export an entire song from a CD as a WAV file and convert it into a single tracker instrument, then loop the entire instrument seamlessly on one or more patterns. Finally save the converted song as an ImpulseTracker *.it file and compile it as an .umx music package with UnrealEd.  8-)
You have done a good job for doing this with every single song from the KHG CD.

Finally I think your topic should be moved to the Klingon Honor Guard forum section and your pack released as an official "music mod" for KHG. But that's your decision.
Last edited by Lurker on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Next Generation: Klingon Honor Guard”