For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Light Glare

To find and remove the bugs we needed every bug known in current 226. You can still review them here.
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Light Glare

Post by Shivaxi »

This isnt so much a bug as it is a engine problem i think..

Anyone else notice that when u see a light glare...and you go around a corner...you can still see it for a second through a wall before it fades away?

I was wondering if it was possible to make it more realistic so it just goes off instead of fading when it goes behind geometry....any ideas? :-?
Image  Image
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Re: Light Glare

Post by Turboman. »

This isnt so much a bug as it is a engine problem i think..

Anyone else notice that when u see a light glare...and you go around a corner...you can still see it for a second through a wall before it fades away?

I was wondering if it was possible to make it more realistic so it just goes off instead of fading when it goes behind geometry....any ideas? :-?
i believe thats the point of coronas, they are supposed to fade out slowly as coronas do in real life, a simple example: try staring into a lightsource for a minute then move your eyes away :P

although to a certain extent i agree with you: with smaller lights you'd expect them to fade out faster, however i guesss this is because coronas are very limited in their properties and just about everything in them is predefined.

i think in its current state coronas are quite accurate and simulate fake HDR/bloom effects pretty well.
Last edited by Turboman. on Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

huh....ive never rly noticed the fading in actual life....maybe with like bright lights....but not most of the lights in Unreal...and in real life when u look away the corona doesnt stay in the same place that the light was....it follows your eyez lol :P
Image  Image
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

since we're on the subject of lens effects anyway i was wondering if there would be any way to "fix" the broken/unfinished lens-flare support?

basically all light actors have this variable blensflare that doesn't work (not to confuse with bcorona that DOES work)
it is supposed to create a lensflare that can be defined in the zoneinfo, which contains the other properties of the lens flare;
lensflare-> defines lensflare textures (up to 11)
lensflareoffset-> defines the offset/distance of the individual coronas
lensflarescale-> the scale of the individual coronas

some other ue1 games did have this feature working (wheel of time in particular)

i'll try to get some comparison shots up... later
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

some shoots will be nice, i'll have a look at this
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

urhm, turboman, you added a picture in your profile which is in an intranet, i needed to change it because of login messages to enter this intranet, which was pretty annoying because it asked everytime anyone opened a message from you.

Original message:
well here is a screenshot from wheel of time, notice that WoT uses the exact same settings as unreal does, meaning it probably works the same, except in WoT it actually appears and in unreal it doesn't

**edit removed picture because of problems with forums - Smirftsch (saved it before)

to set a lensflare in WoT (or unreal if it worked) you need to do these things:

***first i advice you to open softwarerenderdevice and set bcoronas to true, so you can see corona effects in UED in realtime preview***

you need to place a zoneinfo and light actor, BOTH MUST BE IN THE SAME ZONE, then open the properties:

* under the light actor properties under lighting you must set bcorona and blensflare to true, then under display you must give the light a corona under "skin" found under display (i can't see why the lensflare needs the light to have a corona in the first place, but else it won't appear)

* then under the zoneinfo properties you must look under lensflare, you have three choices, lensflareoffset, lensflaretexture and lensflarescale, all three offer 11 spaces for a a maximum of 11 textures to be defined.
in the screenshots are example of settings i chose in WoT (in WOT i chose lensflareT.utx but in unreal you have to improvise a bit, Genfx.utx has lots of lensflare textures)

also the size of the lensflare effect is not only dependant on the lensflareoffset and lensflarescale, but also on the drawscale of the light actor (as coronas are)
Last edited by Smirftsch on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

smirftsch, check your PM messages :)
PRIMEVAL
OldUnreal Member

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I've noticed that too.  I've also seen that if a monster walks in front of the glare, you can still see the glare no matter how big the monster is (eg Titan walks in front of a torch, I can still see the toch's corona / glare)

Return to “Report Bugs in Unreal 226 versions”