For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Shadows?

To find and remove the bugs we needed every bug known in current 226. You can still review them here.
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Shadows?

Post by Shivaxi »

I know this isn't really a bug in 226...but it would be real nice have the real time shadows from the 220 patch fixed up for 227 and be compatible with the newer graphix cards these days :P
Image  Image
Pitbull
Administrator

Re: Shadows?

Post by Pitbull »

I know this isn't really a bug in 226...but it would be real nice have the real time shadows from the 220 patch fixed up for 227 and be compatible with the newer graphix cards these days :P
This was discussed in the past somewhere here. Do some searching. Rune has realtime shadows so I'm sure it's possible. If memory serves me correctly shadows were implemented in the beta release of unreal.
Upon this rock I will build my church O:-)

LOADING HATERS..████████████] 99% Complete.
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

i did look...but all i found was some topic about it in general that didnt really get answered to :P
Image  Image
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

implementing realtime shadows is one of my biggest dreams, but although possible, its a lot of work, probably to much for me alone.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

well it was already done before...so like...how hard could it be? i mean...probally hard...but cant u just like contact the guys who did it in da first place? lol :P
Image  Image
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

unfortunately it isnt that easy. The implementation was crap and a rude hack- although it worked somehow it was very far from really usable. And even if creative (they made it) would have answered my request (that i made years ago), it would be of lil help.
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

Yup, that story goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back lol  8-)

[url=http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=85919]Never realized features in Unreal[/url]

And yes, the pictures i have seen, they look plain awsome  :o And it would be way cool, but its likelly to stay a dream. Ill see if i can dig um up, and post them here.
Raven
OldUnreal Member

Post by Raven »

There's a shadow code in Rune sources in OpenGL.cpp. Function is called DrawShadowSurface, and it's called by UnRenDev (at least it's in UnRenDev.h). But ion OGL it needs to have glEnable(GL_POLYGON_OFFSET_FILL) in SetRes function. It's not much, but it's all i found in public sources.
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

Took me a couple a hours to find them back, but here are the only 4 pictures i have:

[img]http://www.celticwarriors.net/Media/Pictures/shadow1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.celticwarriors.net/Media/Pictures/shadow2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.celticwarriors.net/Media/Pictures/shadow3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.celticwarriors.net/Media/Pictures/shadow4.jpg[/img]

I can imagine, if you turn off your sound, and see the shadows creeping around the corner, that must be awsome.

Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

my god...its so amazing wat this engine can do...u know wat i did one time? i had an idea about shadows...and i realized that geometry shadows in Unreal work by the texture...so the smaller the texture the sharper the shadows basically...so wat i did was i selected every texture in Vortex2, resized every one to .1, and then gave them high shadow detail and bright corners and rebuilt the level. and DUDE!!!! the result were shadows that were the same or even better to that of Doom 3 and even F.E.A.R It was amazing! i'll post some screenies when i get the chance :)

it ran a bit choppy at some parts though...and it wasnt that my comp was slow...it was that the Unreal engine couldn't handle itself...im suprised it didnt crash :)
Image  Image
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

There's a shadow code in Rune sources in OpenGL.cpp. Function is called DrawShadowSurface, and it's called by UnRenDev (at least it's in UnRenDev.h). But ion OGL it needs to have glEnable(GL_POLYGON_OFFSET_FILL) in SetRes function. It's not much, but it's all i found in public sources.
Yes, i've seen that a long time ago, but what the public sources contain shows nearly nothing about how they did it. Especially the maths behind it would be interesting...well, we'll see once i finaly finished 227
Raven
OldUnreal Member

Post by Raven »

my god...its so amazing wat this engine can do...u know wat i did one time? i had an idea about shadows...and i realized that geometry shadows in Unreal work by the texture...so the smaller the texture the sharper the shadows basically...so wat i did was i selected every texture in Vortex2, resized every one to .1, and then gave them high shadow detail and bright corners and rebuilt the level. and DUDE!!!! the result were shadows that were the same or even better to that of Doom 3 and even F.E.A.R It was amazing! i'll post some screenies when i get the chance :)

it ran a bit choppy at some parts though...and it wasnt that my comp was slow...it was that the Unreal engine couldn't handle itself...im suprised it didnt crash :)
In texture properties (in Texture Browser) set DrawSacle to eg. 4, and then scale down texture on wall to 0.25. Shadows will be more realistic but textures will keep it's original size.
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

omg! that would totally work...but dude...i would have to select every texture one by one and set the draw scale...that would take ages!!! is there no way to select all textures in the texture browser at once? :-?
Last edited by Shivaxi on Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image  Image
Raven
OldUnreal Member

Post by Raven »

Dunno :) but only scaling down textures at walls sucks :).
Last edited by Raven on Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sopa_de_letras

Post by sopa_de_letras »

Shadows, I really with that UT and U1 could import lightmaps as compressed textures.

Those shadows look much like Nexuiz shadows, I've seen those shadows in many quake engine ports.
Last edited by sopa_de_letras on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Yes, i've seen that a long time ago, but what the public sources contain shows nearly nothing about how they did it. Especially the maths behind it would be interesting...well, we'll see once i finaly finished 227
have you tried asking the guys who made rune?
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

the shadows done in level geometry are pre computed lightmaps.

the shadows done by creative are done by stencil buffer method and shadow volumes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_volume
while the creative shadows do look nice, i do remember seeing them have some major artifacts though, like casting shadows on nonexistant geometry (makes them float in the air), or shadows always being sharp and the same opacity (that was before pixel shader existed back then)
carmatic

Post by carmatic »

hi guys sorry to dredge up this old post, but has there been any progress to getting the shadows working? i really miss my creative 3d blaster tnt ...
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

I highly doubt it unfortunately :-/

Smirf? :P
Image  Image
PRIMEVAL
OldUnreal Member

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I know we have dot shadows, but that's it.

Return to “Report Bugs in Unreal 226 versions”