For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Multi-seat linux setup for unreal and/or ut99?

for Unreal & UnrealTournament
ExpEM
OldUnreal Member

Multi-seat linux setup for unreal and/or ut99?

Post by ExpEM »

Anyone tried setting up a multi seat build for LAN parties and the like?
(I know I'm showing my age ;D).

*For the peeps that don't know, multi seat is where you have one physical PC with a bunch of monitors, mice and keyboards setup so multiple people can use the same PC at the same time as if it were a separate PC for each user (usually done with virtual machines now a days).

My personal experience with Linux doesn't go past setting up a dedicated Minecraft server that also acts as a NAS on the local network.

Just curious if anyone has tried this (or a Linux multi seat in general), any tips etc? Sounds like a fun project for a rainy day, and a good way to cannibalize the old gaming rig...
-Finding new ways to break the engine since 1872.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: Multi-seat linux setup for unreal and/or ut99?

Post by Smirftsch »

lol !

Well, starting multiple instances (with also different configs) ain't a problem, just use 2 different System directories (or make a full copy of entire Unreal folder).
Then perhaps it may be even possible to run it with 2 keyboards attached by just using different keyboard settings, like one using arrow keys and the other wasd, but there is no way right now to use 2 mice at the same time (that I am aware of at least).
A Joystick / Mouse setup could work, but on the other hand, I never got any feedback whatsoever about someone using Joystick with Unreal in Linux, so I don't know how well this works anyway...
I could check into SDL2 docs if there is a way to distinguish mice / keyboard and if so, then it should be easy.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
ExpEM
OldUnreal Member

Re: Multi-seat linux setup for unreal and/or ut99?

Post by ExpEM »

I have done that as a hack around two player before... using a xbox controller for the 2nd player. Google tells me it's plenty possible to set up multiple mice and keyboard to act independently with hardware pass through in place. No idea weather it's worth the effort to set up lol.
-Finding new ways to break the engine since 1872.

Return to “Linux-Board”