For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Adding properties to Engine.Actor breaks the game

The section related to UnrealScript and modding. This board is for coders to discuss and exchange experiences or ask questions.
Neo_b
OldUnreal Member

Adding properties to Engine.Actor breaks the game

Post by Neo_b »

Hello everyone! :)

I'm trying to alter the Engine.u package of Unreal 227i in order to make it compatible with Deus Ex packages. The reason I'm doing that is so that I can use UnrealEd 2.2 with Deus Ex levels.
I exported the Engine.u scripts and textures, added a few variables to the Actor class as an experiment, and recompiled. Unfortunately, UnrealEd.exe fails with an error when starting. So does Unreal.exe (but I don't care about that).

When I recompile without any changes, it works fine. When I only add a single variable, it sometimes works fine too.

What I added to the Actor class:

Code: Select all

var bool neob91_foo;
var float neob91_bar;
var int neob91_baz;
See error messages and both versions of Engine.u attached.
Any help is appreciated!

PS, I am aware of the Deus Ex Editing Pack that features UEd 2, but it was done in a hacky way, and there is potential for issues there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neo_b
OldUnreal Member

Re: Adding properties to Engine.Actor breaks the game

Post by Neo_b »

I did some more digging, and apparently modifying the UnrealScript of native classes (or classes that have native subclasses) breaks the linking with the .dll file.
I have done research on native packages, but I didn't manage to successfully recompile Engine.dll.

Is that even possible without the source code for UT/Unreal (and just the header files)?
Reborn
OldUnreal Member

Re: Adding properties to Engine.Actor breaks the game

Post by Reborn »

You can rebild all DeusEx *.u files, and do its compatible with 227j (Core.u and Engine.u),
but you can't make 227j (Core.u and Engine.u) compatible with DeusEx.

For rebuild engine.u, you can unpack engine.u classes with UnrealEd, and add the textures, that the compiler requires when building.

In Engine.u you can add new classes, but attempting to modify existing classes may cause an error.

You can:
1) Rebuild all *.u files except Core.u
2) Add new classes in Engine.u
3) Change non-native classes in Engine.u (operation MAY BE FAILED if class is used from dll)
4) Change existing functions in native classes in Engine.u
5) Add new functions in native classes

You can not:
1) Add new variables in native classes (operation ALWAYS FAILED).

Return to “UScript Board”