For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Custom projectile does not cause any damage

The section related to UnrealScript and modding. This board is for coders to discuss and exchange experiences or ask questions.
Devil Master
OldUnreal Member

Custom projectile does not cause any damage

Post by Devil Master »

Today I attempted to modify a weapon from the Unreal4Ever package, and while it works fine if I choose it to shoot a projectile that already exists, if derive a new projectile class from one that already exists, shooting the weapon won't cause any damage. Why?

First, I created a daughter class from the QuickSilver class, which I called PlasmaCannon, saved into my own package (which I named "WeaponTest") and placed into a map. So far, it worked as expected.
Then, I removed the weapon from the map, modified its default property "Weapon->ProjectileClass" from "Class'U4e4.Tribal'" to "Class'UnrealShare.DispersionAmmo'", saved the package and placed the modified weapon into the map. Again, it worked fine. I removed the weapon from the map

But then, I created a daughter class from Projectile->DispersionAmmo, which I called "PlasmaProjectile", and modified again the default "Weapon->ProjectileClass" property of PlasmaCannon, from "Class'UnrealShare.DispersionAmmo'" to "Class'WeaponTest.PlasmaProjectile'".
I saved the WeaponTest package, placed the new weapon into the map and ran the map again. This time, shooting with the PlasmaCannon weapon didn't cause any damage. When the projectiles hit what they are shot at, they just disappear. I verified this by summoning various enemies through the console and shooting them. No matter how many projectiles hit them, they won't die.

What am I missing here? Why do pre-existing projectiles work fine, but daughter classes (with no changed property) won't?
Last edited by Devil Master on Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Re: Custom projectile does not cause any damage

Post by BobIsUnreal »

upload the file or somthing? probably something silly , like the projectile is set to have no damage, but damage value is assinged at fire time in the weapons fire code by casting / assinging  the projectiles damage as it is fired/hits, also theres differnt ways of simulating damage , not just strictly using damage value , so the gun could be  caling a hurtradius and the projectile is for decoration.
Last edited by BobIsUnreal on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devil Master
OldUnreal Member

Post by Devil Master »

Okay, I uploaded a simple map with it, at
https://mega.nz/#!DZwhWa7R!dPlYTi2Yb5rQ ... Gf5qIlNEnk . Please note that the file does not include the Unreal4Ever package.

The gun is called wtfPlasmaCannon, the projectile is wtfPlasmaProjectile and they are saved as part of wtf.u.
Last edited by Devil Master on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

hmm messed with it for a few minute and got it working , i think you just forgot to hit "compile changed" in the script editor, after i recompiled it and saved it seemed to work as intended , the gun does set the projectiles but t only does to multiplie the damagemodifier so its not a issue.

also on a side note( which may be part of the cause) - you committed a unreal sin ... that is you gave 2 files the same filename. unreal loads all things by filename , disregarding extension , so if you did recompile , it would have recompiled the map instead of the .u or vice vesa.
Devil Master
OldUnreal Member

Post by Devil Master »

D'oh! There's my mistake! I didn't realize I was supposed to recompile the script for an object with no modifications!
Yep, now it works.

Return to “UScript Board”