For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Is it possible to have a static mesh with more that 7 multiskins?

UnrealEd 2.1 (227i) and UnrealEd 2.2 (227j), for Unreal 227. With many additions, bugfixes and improvements. Ask mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks.
Devil Master
OldUnreal Member

Is it possible to have a static mesh with more that 7 multiskins?

Post by Devil Master »

I've been attempting to port a level from Duke Nukem: Critical Mass to Unreal.
Duke Nukem: Critical Mass is a PSP game that never saw an official release, but a number of builds, along with source code and assets, have been uploaded to archive.org at the beginning of April. Since a level of that game is a .max file obtained with 3ds Max 2010, this is the procedure I followed:
  • I loaded the original .max file in 3ds Max 2010 and deleted everything that is not architecture (enemies, pickups, triggers, lens flares)
  • After a failed attempt to import the whole level (exported to .obj) as a static mesh, I split the level into its components (typically, a level has around 16) and exported each of them to an .obj file
  • I imported an .obj file in UnrealEd as a static mesh and saved the new package
  • I imported some of the textures into the MyLevel package so that the static mesh could use them
  • I opened the static mesh properties and reached the Display->MultiSkins option
And here's the problem. I can set up to 7 multiskins, but each static mesh needs a lot more than that (about 40 textures). Aside from making further splits to each .obj file (which would be a lot of work, with about 40 textures per .obj and 16 .obj files per level) is there a way to have a static mesh with more than 7 textures?
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Re: Is it possible to have a static mesh with more that 7 multiskins?

Post by yrex . »

The multiskins are just for per-actor customization. To change the "default" skins (which also allow more (128?) slots), go to the mesh browser -> Properties -> Mesh -> Textures.
Devil Master
OldUnreal Member

Post by Devil Master »

Oh wow! Looks like that's exactly what I was looking for! The solutions I received in the Discord channel were a lot more complicated!
Devil Master
OldUnreal Member

Post by Devil Master »

Something odd has just happened. I added a couple of static meshes, and all of a sudden, the weapon, as well as any eventual enemies I summoned, were completely black, as if they didn't receive any light. On the other hand, the static meshes did not diffuse real-time lights (so the projectile of the disperson pistol appeared not to cast any light, blue or any other color).
Then I selected everything and dragged everything so that all static meshes would have their origin at the center of the map (all static meshes I used have the same origin, no matter where the actual polygons are located), built the map again, and now lights work correctly again. What happened?

Return to “UnrealEd 2.x, the Unreal 227 editors”