For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Hints, tips and tricks

UnrealEd 2.1 (227i) and UnrealEd 2.2 (227j), for Unreal 227. With many additions, bugfixes and improvements. Ask mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks.
creavion
OldUnreal Member

Hints, tips and tricks

Post by creavion »

Projectors:
Use MapProjector
As Background use 50 % grey
As format use P8 (256 colours), since DXT1 produces some kind of pink glimmer.
Actors (specially static meshes like terrain pieces or rocks) which should not be affected by the projector must be given a tag like "NoProjector".
Give the projector the same tag under MapProjector > IgnoreAttachActorTag. Result will be visible ingame only.

Texture import:
DXT1 - if you import a bmp as DXT1 keep in mind that this is the DXT1 version without 1 bit alpha.
DXT3 - mostly used for foilage, 16 grey "compression" ... you know.
DXT5 - sometimes also used for foilage like palm leaves but mostly for texture blendings, full 256 grey thingy.

DXT3 and DXT5 need more file size compared to DXT1, since they store the alpha channel.
If you need "Mask" for True Colour/DXT textures, it does not matter if you choose DXT3 or DXT5.
You should not activate Mask or Alpha during import, since this forces those options to the textures from the very beginning and makes a seperate selection in the mesh browser for each material during multiply using later impossible.
DXT3 and DXT5 are supposed to have a higher imager quality compared to DXT1. I dont know for sure.

Alpha:
On foilage mostly NOT needed. (Some?) current games dont use it at all for foilage and leaves of any kind, like the german game Risen. FarCry however used it at least for decogras. This also is a matter of performance. However keep in mind to import those textures (for foilage) with an alpha channel, since Mask makes use of the alpha channel (does not matter if you take DXT3 or DXT5 in this case) as some kind of 1 bit alpha.
If you use Alpha for ANY material for a static mesh you have to set ALL other materials for this static mesh to AlphaBlend in the meshbrowser.
Furthermore you have to use STY_AlphaBlend in the display properties of the placed StaticMesh.
(Static) Meshes with Alpha are NOT able to display Detail textures, macro textures either.
I would not suggest you to use Detail textures for terrain textures, since they are always visible on (Static) Meshes, use instead if requiered higher resolutioned textures.

Static Meshes:
If you set a surface/polygon of a brush to Fake Backdrop this surface will be deleted to the conversation as a static mesh.
If a static mesh pivot is in the material/add brushes, it can not be lighted!
You can move the pivot of a mesh in the mesh browser under: Mesh -> Origin.
Closed placed static meshes with alpha can produce an alpha sorting bug, in that case merge them if possible together to one single static mesh.
If you want to build a terrain in the ed - its possible, only a lot of work sometimes - build it from 2d shapes, one sided only otherwise you have some problems later. Select them all and convert it to a static mesh.

Avoiding of (De)Intersect:
You can use Convert to Static Mesh and back Convert to Brush to avoid bugs produced by (De)Intersecting if you need something merged as brush.
If ALL of your materials are on the wrong side you can just press the "FipNormals" button under StaticMesh in the mesh browser.

UV_Wrap and UV_Clamp
In the Texture Properties (not Surface Properties!!) there is a new setting called UClampMode and VClampMode. Ever wondered why those Skyboxes in ut2004 dont have those strange line-bugs at the edges? Well you need this option at least for skybox cubes for sure now.
If you texturize a sky cube you have to think the other way around: Give the texture in front of you the "back" texture, the one left of you the "right" one, the right one gets the "left" etc.
Dont flip them or anything!
You also have to move them V-ertically (64 x 4 I guess), this works even better compared to UEngine 2 where you also have to move them horizontally.
Last edited by creavion on Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
UT99.org Community Mappack 2:
http://www.ut99.org/utr/infopage.html
creavion
OldUnreal Member

Re: Hints, tips and tricks

Post by creavion »

Some tricks and hints for creating static meshes in the editor:

1. Use the 2D Shape editor to create triangels or squares (= 2 triangels).
2. Build them with one side only and to the outside, to your view. If you need a material as TwoSided you can change the materials in the meshbrowser.
3. Keep in mind you can both convert static mesh and brushes (in combination) to a new static mesh.
4. Use DrawScale 3D values to flip and copy them, as well with minus values (usually one of the axis = "-1").
5. Use the "FlipNormals" button in the mesh browser to flip the normals of the COMPLETE static mesh, this also means that you have to consider what you convert to a single static mesh. Sometimes there are several intermediate steps requiered to get the final static mesh.
6. Avoid Subtract Brushes
7. Dont use (de)intersecting!
8. Always keep the original static mesh or the construction pieces for easy changes as backup.
9. Fake Backdrop marked surfaces/polygons will be deleted if you convert those brushes to a static mesh.

Thats it for now.
UT99.org Community Mappack 2:
http://www.ut99.org/utr/infopage.html
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I have finally decided to use parts of my endless spare time to write a tutorial on the [url=http://hellkeeper.net/tutoriaux/TarquinExtruderBuilderBrush.php]Tarquin Extruder Builder Brush[/url], the coolest and most powerful Builder Brush known to man.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must construct additional pylons.
fakeaccount

Post by fakeaccount »

I have finally decided to use parts of my endless spare time to write a tutorial on the [url=http://hellkeeper.net/tutoriaux/TarquinExtruderBuilderBrush.php]Tarquin Extruder Builder Brush[/url], the coolest and most powerful Builder Brush known to man.
You changed the link in your site after publishing it in two languages.

Took a rapid glance at it and, Tarquin is a mathematician, that tutorial is more or less explaining little bits of linear algebra and coordinate system.

His brushbuilders are handy, could be made default in UED. The torus builder, I just miss one thing: there is the option to aling the revolution to side, but there isn't the same option to align "the pipe" as well.

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I changed the structure of the tutorials earlier this year, the link is three years old, I'll fix it tomorrow, thanks for pointing it out.

Tarquin was indeed very good at his thing and his Brush builder are indeed powwerful and useful. I don't think we need to integrate them in UnrealEd by default though. They are much more complex. Also, on small screens (like mine) they make the toolbar larger than default and you have to scroll to get to the lower tools. That should be more or less the limit for new stuff there.

This TEBB tutorial seems to have caught the eye of a few people these days, I'm happy about it. If you see typos, real errors or have comments, drop me a line, it's always useful (and heartwarming).
You must construct additional pylons.
Solid_Snake FirePhoenix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Solid_Snake FirePhoenix »

the 8-ball wall jump. first you run toward the wall, shoot at it as your jumping at it and quickly turn around. I invented this variation of the rocket jump. it's easy to try, but harder to master without gibbing yourself.
Solid_Snake FirePhoenix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Solid_Snake FirePhoenix »

oops sorry wrong section.

Return to “UnrealEd 2.x, the Unreal 227 editors”