For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Undesired "feature" in 227i

UnrealEd 2.1 (227i) and UnrealEd 2.2 (227j), for Unreal 227. With many additions, bugfixes and improvements. Ask mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks.
Devil Master
OldUnreal Member

Undesired "feature" in 227i

Post by Devil Master »

I just noticed that the UnrealEd that comes with v227i does something no previous version did. Whenever I stretch and/or rotate the red brush, then click on one of the buttons that builds a primitive, that primitive is created with the exact measures specified in its properties.
This is completely unlike what any other version, up to 227h, did, where any rotation or deformation I applied to one primitive was also applied to any subsequent primitive, unless I clicked on the red brush with the right mouse button and selected "Transform Permanently". The new behavior makes it much more difficult to build complex shapes out of brushes, because if I make a mistake in intersecting/deintersecting a stretched or rotated primitive, and then click on a primitive button again, I must re-apply all the transformations I previously applied (and good luck with that, especially if there were previous, correct, operations of intersection or deintersection).

In order to avoid this behavior, I now reverted to 227h. But I need to ask anyway: is there a way to turn it off in 227i?
Last edited by Devil Master on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Re: Undesired "feature" in 227i

Post by yrex . »

View -> Advanced Options -> Editor -> AlwaysPermanentBrush -> False

It was added to "reduce BSP problems", but I can't see what's the point of it. In theory it may make stuff actually worse, because the rounding errors will accumulate each transformation.

Also, if you turn it off, Transform Permanently may also stop working.
Last edited by yrex . on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

I've never had an issue with transform permanently not working after disabling alwayspermanantbrush, since I disabled that option for the same reason.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Devil Master
OldUnreal Member

Post by Devil Master »

It ought to be off by default, to avoid alienating users.
Last edited by Devil Master on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “UnrealEd 2.x, the Unreal 227 editors”