For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

2 sided branches on tree

UnrealEd 2.1 (227i) and UnrealEd 2.2 (227j), for Unreal 227. With many additions, bugfixes and improvements. Ask mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks.
Teromen
OldUnreal Member

2 sided branches on tree

Post by Teromen »

Im having trouble getting my tree branch to render on both sides of the polygon. I think there is something I need to tag in 3dsmax but I cant remember how to do that. Couldn't find any of the old links on google either. Tried setting a old date limit.

I tried converting the static mesh to a non solid 2 sided brush and then back to a static mesh and that didn't work. The surface and texture are set to 2 sided.

I experimented with both masked and alpha-blend. Im gonna set it to have double the polygons in 3dsmax for now...

Any ideas?
Last edited by Teromen on Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bleeder91[NL]
OldUnreal Member

Re: 2 sided branches on tree

Post by Bleeder91[NL] »

Either set the flag in the editor (mesh browser-mesh properties-materials) , or use the flag in the texture group name. Something like _TWOSIDED_ or _TS_.  I can't remember where I kept my link to the import flags.
Last edited by Bleeder91[NL] on Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

The way personally do it, to make sure backface normals are lit properly, is I actually mirror the vegetation sheets. Kinda produces more polys for sure, but I think backsided normals (forgot how they render in 227 tbh) can look wonky in some engines.

I need to get back to finishing this maple tree at some point too.

Maple tree with the highpoly leaf meshes but lowpoly trunk:

WIP full lowpoly mesh:

Also you may like to know, that masked leafs and such on static meshes are capable of allowing light to pass through on the masked areas, leaving the shadow of the branches/leaves after lighting rebuild >:)
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Teromen
OldUnreal Member

Post by Teromen »

I found this.

[url]http://www.snipersparadise.net/utskelanim.html[/url]
Materials

The names of the multi/sub materials indicate which rendering modes will be activated for the polygon flags. The following strings fragments, with the familiar Unreal polygon effects, can be anywhere in the material name and can be combined (if the combination makes sense to the engine.)

Recommended: when using multiple textures, always name them skin00, skin01, etc, which will force the 'multiskin' indices to point at the textures in a predictable order.

skinXX -  give your materials numbered skin names to ensure they are linked in the right order, whenever you have multiple skins for a single mesh.
    twosided - twosided (flags, fins)
    weapon (obsolete) See Weapon Bone.
    invisible (obsolete)
    modul - modulated
    mask  - masked
    envir   - environment mapped
    mirro  - environment mapped
    nosmo - 'nosmooth', non-bilinear filtered
    unlit - unlit
    trans - translucent

You still have to create your own 8-bit .pcx or .bmp versions of texture files and manually link them up in the appropriate .uc script files, but you can look at the X_ModelInfo.log output to see exactly which bitmap files go with what material number for your model.
I tried naming the mask two-sided but it didn't seem to work :(

Edit: I fixed it. I couldn't figure out how to do it in max. So I installed the undying t3d tool and exported it to Ued. Then tagged the surfaces and converted that to a static mesh.

I couldn't do it the easy way... Converting the static mesh to a brush and editing that. It bugged out. But importing as a t3d map worked. All I had to do was rescale and rotate the textures. It's working now.
Last edited by Teromen on Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teromen
OldUnreal Member

Post by Teromen »

Either set the flag in the editor (mesh browser-mesh properties-materials) , or use the flag in the texture group name. Something like _TWOSIDED_ or _TS_.  I can't remember where I kept my link to the import flags.
For some reason it wont let me edit properties that way.

edit: wait... i see lol. Thank you.

I was clicking on the mesh itself instead of edit-properties.
Last edited by Teromen on Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “UnrealEd 2.x, the Unreal 227 editors”