For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Map Pack - Into the Abyss

This Board was made to give Unreal projects a home- if you need a place to discuss about your mods, campains, to offer your projects for download, to seek members for it.
KillerSkaarj
OldUnreal Member

Map Pack - Into the Abyss

Post by KillerSkaarj »

URGENT: The project is On Hold. Why you ask? Because I have no inspiration or motivation to do the next level. So, I need a mapper to help me with the next level (which you all may have deduced as an ore processing facility). E-mail or PM me if you're interested, because there are some things that are necessary to be included in this level. Position has been filled!!

You can view detailed news about this project at my website: (If I'm not allowed to do this, please warn me.) [url]http://www.freewebs.com/killerskaarjslair[/url]

NOTE: This map pack is only 227 compatible. If you complain, it's your fault for sticking to 226 when 227 is far superior (unless you want to keep RTNP, but by the time this is done, 227f will have been released so no excuses!! :P

PROJECT STATUS: On Hold

Project: Into the Abyss
Pack Category: Map Pack
Release Date: TBA
Description: You are an Interplanetary Police Force (IPF) officer called in to help with a mining project. Liandri Corp has recently discovered a Tarydus* mine on the planet Kobola IV in a dense jungle via satellite. The mines eventually branch out into an unexplored natural cave system nicknamed "The Abyss" by the miners. Nobody knows what might be lurking in The Abyss, so you'll have to protect the miners from any beasties you find. Pretty easy, right? All you have to do is talk to the Coordinator and have him transport you to the caves. What could go wrong? Well, you'll soon find out...  I will strive to get this pack done and released because I'm sick of seeing all of my projects go to waste, so don't lose hope if I suddenly one day put the project On Hold, as it would most likely go back into production when I have the time.

*Tarydus is a type of Tarydium crystal that was formed under intense pressure. Its magnetic properties are weaker than it's other form, but it reacts violently with hydrogen, thus making it an excellent fuel source.

This map pack takes place sometime during Return to Na Pali (meaning this pack and RTNP are supposed to be going on alongside each other).

Progress: 1/6?* maps finished, 2/7 weapons finished

* I have not fully settled on the number of maps I'm going to make for this pack. So far, I'm thinking of making 6, but there may be more

NEWS: (oldest to newest)
9/26/08
Currently, the project is On Hold. Not enough time to work on it.
10/6/08
Currently looking for a faster way to build underground tunnels, as current method is much too tedious. Also, modified variations of most (not all) of the original weapons will be present.
10/9/08
Hellkeeper showed me the Tarquin Extrude builder to use to build caves. Special thanks to him. :D Now the project is moving along again.
10/21/08
Project is On Hold. Looking for a mapper to help.
CREDITS:
Level design: KillerSkaarj, >K·§·A<  }~{¥ßrí[) (little tweaks on first level)

Music: PRIMEVAL, [§[ch340]] [ch356]h[ch283]x[ch272]â[ch341]k[ch347]î[ch273][ch283][ch341], KillerSkaarj

Tools used: UnrealEd2, TarquinExtrudeBuilder, Modplug Tracker

Special Thanks:

Everyone above

Tarquin, for creating the godsend, TarquinExtrudeBuilder.

mr.self-destruct for posting a tutorial about how to make Melee weapons.

.:..: (dots) for fixing the script in one of my weapons.

Smirftsch and everyone else who helped him to create Unreal 227.

Epic, for... well, let's just say without them, nothing here would have been created.

More to come. I have no idea why I'm crediting people right now, but I feel bad for not mentioning people who are helping me with this project. ;D
Last edited by KillerSkaarj on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Re: Map Pack - Into the Abyss

Post by DieHard SCWS »

10/6/08
Currently looking for a faster way to build underground tunnels, as current method is much too tedious. Also, modified variations of most (not all) of the original weapons will be present.
You could use a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_boring_machine]TBM[/url]  ;)

They seem to do the job pretty well :)

But your project sounds like a cool idea :)
PRIMEVAL
OldUnreal Member

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Looking forward to this project, sounds pretty cool.

You wouldn't happen to need any custom music, would ya? ;)
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

Post by [§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ »

LOL I made a MusicPack with five songs in it and one song outside the pack. This one I'm using for the map I'm working on now and those other five sux. Maybe I'll just delete them.
KillerSkaarj
OldUnreal Member

Post by KillerSkaarj »

I actually do need custom music. If you don't mind, I need music that sounds suspenseful, like you're walking into a dark cave (which you'll be doing a lot in the map pack) and feel like something might pop up and bite you. Also, I need music that sounds industrial, like one you would imagine be playing in an ore processing plant.

If you could do those, that would be great.

Oh, and lol at DieHard. No, I didn't find a TBM. But I did find a TEB (Tarquin Extrude Builder). Thanks for the offer anyway :P
Last edited by KillerSkaarj on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

Well I make music of all different kinds (especially of some "experimental" genre) but finding neat instruments is a pain in the arse. I do many instruments by recording or even DRAWING WAVEFORM! :o

EDIT: LOL I already made the first section of the song. It's VERY quiet on start then BOOM it is very loud with many instruments (12-str. guitar, string ensemble, harp, etc.), then it has a part which reminds of some kind of march, then the theme in its different variation, then march again then the main theme. :D Complicated to explain but nice to hear. :P I now need to make another section that will be more cool and calm, for map ending (this music will probably be suitable for the last map).
Last edited by [§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRIMEVAL
OldUnreal Member

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I'll get working on some stuff as well then :)
I'm good with Industrial music and I can make suspenseful material.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Dark cave with a feeling of being attacked -> Excellent choice: Facegrabber from Unreal II. That one feels EXACTLY as you described. While the ore processing plant... Deep Core from UC2 would be quite a nice choice.
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

Ok, here's the link: http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/1936947_5fklr/Out_of_the_Darkness.rar.
When you put Section 1, it slowly begins to play but that part is never looped again, as it is the beginning. This part is in C minor.
When you put Section 2, it begins pretty sharply and continues with the main theme from Section 1. This part is in C major.
NOTE: You maybe won't use the second part at all, cuz it's a bit symphonic and I personally think it is ONLY MAYBE for the very end of the map. BTW, I also think that this music is suitable for the last map in the map pack or maybe for the last map in one of major parts.
Oh, nvm, listen to it and everything will come by itself. ;)
KillerSkaarj
OldUnreal Member

Post by KillerSkaarj »

Uh, it says it's encrypted O.o
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

OMG I'm so sorry I put a password cuz that file is public.
The password is "intotheabyss", without quotation marks.
If it ain't working, I'll upload again.
KillerSkaarj
OldUnreal Member

Post by KillerSkaarj »

It sounds really awesome, but the left and right thing going on near the middle got on my nerves a bit :D But it's ok. The song would be perfect for the last boss.

However, I still need Suspenseful Cave and Industrial Music That's Not From Unreal.... music, but sicne someone's already working on that, I'll go ahead and continue my map pack. I just got past some annoying BSP holes (ZonePortals work wonders!), so now I'm able to continue it.
Last edited by KillerSkaarj on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

LOL sorry for that wild panning but my speakers are almost dead so I personally didn't hear any difference when that part comes! :D
Last edited by [§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRIMEVAL
OldUnreal Member

Post by PRIMEVAL »

It sounds really awesome, but the left and right thing going on near the middle got on my nerves a bit :D But it's ok. The song would be perfect for the last boss.

However, I still need Suspenseful Cave and Industrial Music That's Not From Unreal.... music, but sicne someone's already working on that, I'll go ahead and continue my map pack. I just got past some annoying BSP holes (ZonePortals work wonders!), so now I'm able to continue it.
Working on the Suspenseful music. The Industrial stuff I'll get going soon. :)
KillerSkaarj
OldUnreal Member

Post by KillerSkaarj »

Thanks, I await the final results :)

As for my map pack, I'm pretty sure I'm torturing the BSP with the second map. There's so many polygons that I'm pretty sure I'm pushing the limit (if there even is one), and I'm still at the beginning of the map! Hopefully once I finish it, the final product won't look like Swiss cheese. :D Other than that, progress is slow but sure. I'm kind of afraid of continuing for fear of getting hit with a giant, unfixable BSP hole from wherever 849 sent the Skaarj Queen, but if that happens, I'll probably figure out something. ;D
Last edited by KillerSkaarj on Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

So, try my suggested ones :) Facegrabber is cave, Acid Rain is suspense, Deep Core is in the industrial complex.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WOFOP725
PRIMEVAL
OldUnreal Member

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Here's the suspenseful cave song (link updated):
http://rapidshare.com/files/153411425/Creepy_Atmosphere.umx

It might be a bit too quiet and the looping isn't perfect, but I guess it'll do lol.  Enjoy and hope it works

Also, you can look through my latest EP to see if you want to use any of those songs:
http://rapidshare.com/files/144808596/VP-Halloween.zip
Doubtful you'll use the 2 Halloween Themes, but the other 4 are good ambient tracks.  You may find some use out of them.
Last edited by PRIMEVAL on Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

I've started composing some quiet, a bit dark and cold atmosphere music. I'll see tomorrow how will it sound like. ;)
KillerSkaarj
OldUnreal Member

Post by KillerSkaarj »

Wow Primeval! This is perfect! So now I have cave music and boss music. I'll check out what Dark Emerald has suggested now.

EDIT: Hmmm... Deep core is too techno-sh, Facegrabber is perfect for the actual Abyss part (yes, I just revealed part of the game to you. Not much of a spoiler, but meh), and Acid Rain is better for surface areas.

Sooo... I'll just see what Primeval cooks up and then I'll make my choice.
Last edited by KillerSkaarj on Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRIMEVAL
OldUnreal Member

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Wait, for this Industrial themed song, is it more like Foundry (slow, calm, speeds up [unused piece in game]) or more like Bounds of Foundry ( faster paced, more lively)? Or perhaps you want both?
KillerSkaarj
OldUnreal Member

Post by KillerSkaarj »

Uh, neither of those sound very industrial O.o

Just imagine an iron processing plant. You know, lots of molten metal in huge vats. Except my map is going to have Tarydium waste instead of molten iron. (pseudo-spoiler zomg XD)
PRIMEVAL
OldUnreal Member

Post by PRIMEVAL »

lol Wasn't sure if you wanted "Industrial fitting" music or actual Industrial music. I'll get to work!
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

OMG why does your music have 30 MB?!
I'm connected with dial-up atm. o_O
PRIMEVAL
OldUnreal Member

Post by PRIMEVAL »

OMG why does your music have 30 MB?!
I'm connected with dial-up atm. o_O
Converting from Wav to IT apparently keeps a huge friggin file.  I'm gonna try a new tactic:  Convert form wave to ogg to UMX.  This tactic proves to be good as the file size went from 30mb to 2mb :)

Creepy_Atmosphere for the caves:
http://rapidshare.com/files/153411425/Creepy_Atmosphere.umx

"Factory" for the tarydium plant:
http://rapidshare.com/files/153411423/Factory.umx

I hope that is Industrial enough for ya :)

[edit]
I just listened to them in ModPlug, they're effed up. However, UnrealEd plays them nicely. If you experience any problems, please let me know.
Last edited by PRIMEVAL on Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

The original file is in wav format?! :o

Return to “Unreal Projects”