For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[released] Old Soledad remake & Unreal 97 mutator

This Board was made to give Unreal projects a home- if you need a place to discuss about your mods, campains, to offer your projects for download, to seek members for it.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

[released] Old Soledad remake & Unreal 97 mutator

Post by yrex . »

Title: Old Soledad remake & Unreal 97 mutator

Platform: 226

Authors:
Everything is by Yrex besides:
- Original resources by Epic Games
- Beta '98 DispersionPistol by Leo(T.C.K.)
- Original Soledad conversion by Leo(T.C.K.)
- Extracting some beta resources by Leo(T.C.K.)
- Some textures remapped to final UV maps by AlCapowned
- Some little fragments of code stolen from Shivaxi and .:..:

Screenshots:
https://sites.google.com/site/mojunreal ... Remake.jpg
https://sites.google.com/site/mojunreal ... lotine.jpg
https://sites.google.com/site/mojunreal/osr_krall.jpg
https://sites.google.com/site/mojunreal/osr_lift.jpg
https://sites.google.com/site/mojunreal/osr_napalm.jpg

Description:
This consists of two things that should be used together for best effect. The first one is a remake of Soledad based on the old screenshots. The second one is a mutator that makes the game behave more like the mid-late 1997 builds (0.867-0.88). It's not a faithful conversion of a particular build, but rather best stuff taken from each. This mutator will give you:
- beta HUD
- modified versions of all weapons - in particular Automag, Eightball gun, Napalm gun and Rifle
- beta monster skins, projectiles (eg. purple Skaarj projectile, Cannon bolt for Kralls) and sounds
- some item modifications (eg. ammo pickup sound, flare skin)
There's no official multiplayer support.
Also, you should play this on a CRT monitor in 640x480.

Download (v. 16):
Old Soledad remake
[url=http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/newstuff/L97Beta/yrex/U97GameCX.rar]Unreal 97 mutator[/url]
[url=http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/newstuff/L97Beta/yrex/U97HUDJCZ.rar]HUD fix for JCoopZ[/url]
Last edited by yrex . on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: [227][released] Old Soledad remake & Unreal 97 mutator

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Great.
I had fun betatesting this for you, though I guess I'll be surprised by some late changes you made to the mutator and all. This also compliments the new beta conversion project as I also planned a beta mutator for it but abandoned it in the end (though I made a third brute skin extra, I didn't check how you replace the three brute classes yourself).

Now it can be played with this mutator for similar experience.

EDIT: For 225 compatibility, the makecolor function doesn't exist there...

edit2: link removed because that wasn't the only problem, it crashes further on automag...
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

There is a ton of scriptwarnings and such online and projectiles staying, not recommended to play with the mut online, but for some offline fine it's alright I guess. Though I wish it was tweaked a little more before release.

The map is all fine though except for a co-op stuck situation but otherwise the map works perfect.
EDIT: actually wasn't the case even. because I missed a dark corridor that was added in.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Sorry to spam, but the co-op problem with the map wasn't even there as there was a coop passage that I missed which is cool. Excep it was so pitch dark that I missed it...

But I really like this soledad modification, the feel of the screenshots from October 1997 was captured very well.

EDIT:
[img]http://images8.fotosik.pl/1862/1bd58a45f4fe9c12.jpg[/img]
This is from the original map. The attention to detail is amazing. I mean it really looks like yrex straight copied it from the map except it wasn't avaiable.
Unless yrex is hiding betas, but nah...
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carbon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Carbon »

lol. ;)

Thanks for your work!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Btw just to let you know, CodeX is fixing the network issues with the mutator, we might release that separately here so people can play this online just fine, we also added the older nali tazer and dp meshes for authenticity. The filename will be changed, don't worry.

yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Btw just to let you know, CodeX is fixing the network issues with the mutator, we might release that separately here so people can play this online just fine, we also added the older nali tazer and dp meshes for authenticity. The filename will be changed, don't worry.
Thanks for that, I wouldn't be developing it further anyway. I'm not that good at netcoding.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Its very close to release now. Many bugs were fixed mostly regarding animations that didn't play right etcetera and other tweaks. Also a separate file for jcoopz support of the hud was made....

I've done some uv mapping fixes on the old tazer/dp meshes mostly regarding the muzzleflash/steam textures. I tried to have the steam texture encompass the whole space like in the final asmd, which it didn't back then obviously when it was tazer. Now it has almost same uv maps like the original on slot 2(or whatever slot the steam was).

It seems I improved my skills a bit and started to understand uv mapping more in the process.

There's also a surprise in form of a secret item and it has been added via a mutator to the soledad map and the coop passage works better now too.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Okay here's the new release:
[url=http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/newstuff/L97Beta/yrex/L97Soledad_Yoe15f.rar]UpdatedSoledad[/url]
Readme file is included, now for the main thing, the mutator.

So many things are changed and fixed, lemme give a quick list:

- Automag works as it did in the betas, no animation scriptwarnings anymore.
- Rifle has now the bayonet visible on first person mesh and can stab if closeup, not only that, it has a 'charge' functionality with amplifier on and deals more damage. Like CattleProds. These ideas come from BayonetRifle mod which I never released though this was executed by CodeX. I once figured out when studying how Rifle changed across the developement versions that the original version was to have a bayonet melee attack too.
- Nali uses the Beta Nali mesh which fits better with the old skin.
- Eightball uses different sound for the altfire.
- DispersionPistol and ASMD now use their older meshes, with uv maps remapped to fit some firetextures better.
- DispersionPistol shakes again like in 1998 and some sounds were added back. Don't worry the charge-light is still there.
- Many animation playback fixes.
- A new ASMDPowerup secret item. Yes, asmd/tazer was upgradable at some point though we don't have a build of Unreal currently in which this is the case. It used to be weapon number 0 and the last weapon you'd get in a game like BFG so it made more sense back then. When it became ASMD in November, all of this was most likely removed.
- Tentacle uses the proper projectiles now. While the betas had impalerbolt meshes shooting out of tentacle, there was a proper projectile mesh that didn't get used and was mapped to the old skin uv maps.
- Of course tested to work online properly.
- Krall has masked issues fixed for 227i.
- Works under classic Unreal/UT as well (though in UT might conflict with other mutators, this is not for oldskool specirficly)

[url=http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/newstuff/L97Beta/yrex/U97GameCX.rar]U97GameCX.rar[/url]

Also a small fix for use with jcoopz hud as the original hud isn't allowed in it.
[url=http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/newstuff/L97Beta/yrex/U97HUDJCZ.rar]U97HUDJCZ.rar[/url]

There is one problem when not running under 227 and that is the tentacle skin wont show being updated on the carcass, this could be only fixed with a replacement tentacle class or replacement carcass class (if people would want this). I did notice this before but it was forgotten about due to all the other fixes and problems and features.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Nice, I like stabbing enemies with the new rifle.

And the fact that this works online will increase the potential number of users.
Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rubie »

Would be nice to have a list from all files need to run this map ad home or on a server :)

Greets,

Rubie
I have no signature :)
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Updated the Old Soledad Remake link to include the required files.

Also, you asked for all the files required to run the map, so here they are :D:

Code: Select all

Activates.uax
AmbAncient.uax
AmbOutside.uax
Core.u
Crypt2.utx
DoorsAnc.uax
Engine.u
Fire.u
FireEng.utx
GenEarth.utx
genfluid.utx
GenFX.utx
GreatFire.utx
GreatFire2.utx
HubEffects.utx
L97Soledad1.umx
Liquids.utx
UnrealI.u
UnrealShare.u
Last edited by yrex . on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rubie »

Well this really looks fine good job, I did also reworked once Soledad (My Fav ) map as the version we did run on Newbies in the past was so weird I could not believe this was created so as nothing was light up correctly. I have only 4 things to say about this one and this is:
1. a part from the first lift after start does conflict with the other mover as you can see in the screenshot.https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8ws6ejro6v28 ... 9.png?dl=0
2. the Creatorfactory after krallsquish34 wont work with pupeas from standard sizes as the hole they need to be spawned into is to small.
3. End teleporter should be a bit further in the map so you can see the entry from next level.
4. at last I did started to play this map with 100Hp and no guns ended map with 100HP/Armor100/Shieldbelt and full ammo inventory so the level is for beginner or lower imo.

option to run this map on a server with monstermutators map should have Pathnodes hehe.

Greets,

Rubie

This is my opinion not want to say anything negative about the work that has been done !!!
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

1, 2, 3, pathnodes: fixed.

4: Making this map harder wasn't the goal of this project.

Thanks for the feedback anyway.
Last edited by yrex . on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rubie »

I must say this topic has been treated really fair and I appreciate this a lot, this is the way I like it and maybe I should post more the jobs I'm occupied with on the forum :)
I like discussion if it leads to a solution that is positive for everyone, I know everything depends on different taste from players but this is not realistic and I'm glad I did not seen this in this topic (you can't create a map that everyone loves!).
This remake from SOLEDAD is awesome good !
Thank You Guys!

Rubie
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

Can't stop but replayin' it.
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Post by dustinechoes849 »

Played as intended! ;)
Just finished the level. It's great! :D
And the mutator, it's like the 1997 beta, but with the final's updated engine.
[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Is there more? :o

SO MANY PUPAE  :D :D :D

lol, the screenshots are so bright
Last edited by dustinechoes849 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

No, there's nothing (released) of that scale.

These are the only actual 1997 maps we have (they are only conversions, not remakes):
http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/newstuff/Aug97conv.rar
http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/newstuff/Sep97mapconv.rar
http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/newstuff/Found98_88f.rar
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: [released] Old Soledad remake & Unreal 97 mutator

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Plus the conversions of the controversial version "98". Though whatever the case I believe it to be a version originally leaked alongside the "99" version.

Since there was the story about the version with undeleted files and all and who knows, perhaps someone used the same dlls from the later version since corruption and all.

Something similar I think happened in practice with one of the Quake leaks, but even though one of the releases was shunned, it still appears in collections/archives. With this version of Unreal it doesn't happen exactly the same (and to be honest the oldest leaks weren't found until recently again so practically no-one kept it).

Then we have lost-but-once-avaiable stuff like the Unreal Developer Levels pack and the index.unr for the multiplayer lobby that was only avail during 1998 on not unreal website, but website of epic themselves.

Archiving of files for Unreal was in disaster following the initial collapse of the community around 2000. Even some mods from the day are still lost like the original unreal 2d (i know there were later mods of that name though which practically did the same thing but original is original) or later versions of conquer the base or the capture the cow game as whole.
UTNerd24
OldUnreal Member

Post by UTNerd24 »

As much as I love this mod, I kinda wish it was possible to resize the Hud for widescreen.
Other than that, I love how it shows an items charge in a numerical value, Really handy.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Fixed download links:
Old Soledad remake
Unreal 97 mutator
HUD fix for JCoopZ

BTW, as of writing this, the most complete "late '97 Unreal" experience can be found on a server called Carnivále - Unreal Beta Test Server.
unreal doom
OldUnreal Member

Post by unreal doom »

It's nice to see that the appeal to the heritage of Unreal alpha and beta versions is becoming more and more popular :)

Return to “Unreal Projects”