For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[227] Star Shoal Chronicles: Episode Infinity

This Board was made to give Unreal projects a home- if you need a place to discuss about your mods, campains, to offer your projects for download, to seek members for it.
ebd
OldUnreal Member

[227] Star Shoal Chronicles: Episode Infinity

Post by ebd »

[img]http://ebd.unrealsp.org/wips/star_shoal_header.png[/img] Download the map here!:
http://ebd.unrealsp.org/shoal/shoal_release.zip

Backstory:

A Job Posting on RNGCube, the Galaxy's Leading Spacefarer Recruitment Platform™ reads:
Howdy there sailor! The Star Shoal is seeking talented ship operators like you help crew this vessel and bring construction supplies to the outer frontier. Help build the galaxy! Minimum 5 year contract. No background check necessary!
This is your chance! No more living in the slums of Wasteworld 7ad2. You sign away your life without a second thought.

Looking back, you really should have had a second thought. Hindsight is 20/20 right?

The Star Shoal is old. She's pretty barren as far as the facilities go. her computer could probably run on a potato or two. Worst of all? She is crewed by a bunch of insufferable jerks.

First there is your boss. He is a total cheapass and scrimps money anywhere he can, sometimes as the expense of safety or common sense. He insisted to leave a bunch of wiring exposed in the emergency teleporter room because a panel to cover it would "cost too much." Best not to go near it...

Then there is the drunkard. You've never seen him sober and he vomits everywhere.
[img]http://ebd.unrealsp.org/wips/rum_is_for_sissies.jpg[/img]
The drunkard, drinking away his minimum wage as usual.
Then there is the lady who talks to herself in the engine room sometimes. You don't try to speak to her ever.

Last is the jerkwad who administrates the systems and makes sure the ship's autopilot stays on course. You know, that ass who is always staring back at you in the mirror.

Right. You've been on the journey a while now, and your secret steak stash is running low. Still, at least you managed to pick up some stuff to amuse yourself with. Trash is piling up on the ship. Boss man insists on holding onto it to use as fuel for the heater, but then refuses to turn on the heater in order to save fuel (trash).

You twiddle your thumbs again. Was there some kind of mistake? Surely. The Star Shoal is a slow vessel, but this is outrageous. It has already been 366 days and no signs of ANYTHING that might break up the monotony. While pacing about you find yourself in the engine room and decide to run diagnostics on the engines, just to pass the time.

Engine #1 looks good. Load at 78% percent. It emits a nice hum.

Engine #2 seems to be in stellar condition. Too stellar. Load is at 0%. Functionality tests don't report any problems, so someone must have powered it down manually. You wonder if it was your boss tying to save fuel. You power it on and return to the bridge to adjust the throttle. From your bridge controls, you smile with satisfaction as the screen indicates that the ship is accelerating at a faster rate than before.

After a while the rate of acceleration drops again. What?

And sure enough, you find the second engine powered off with no signs of damage.

And so here you are, some more time into your journey. You've stopped counting the days. You've been keeping up with your drills on emergency teleportation protocols just in case some does happen. You try not to let yourself get too hopeful though. You wonder if the teleporter even works...

The ship is passing by a planet today. The passive analysis suggest it could support human life, but it isn't in the galactic database. In any case during the planet's night there were no lights suggesting the presence of civilization, or at least higher civilization anyway. Maybe aliens? Not unheard of in these parts of space.

You consider for a moment powering on the active scanners and giving the planet a good solid scan for interesting details, but you know your boss would throw a absolute fit when he found out you wasted power (and fuel) on something like that.

He was mad enough about the space junk you tractored on board and the only way you convinced him not to toss you out the airlock was to tell him it was a useful and valuable device and that it just needed to be repaired. In truth, you don't really have any idea what it is, you only wanted it to pass the time.

What is this dribble?
It is a single player map I've been working on on-and-off since April 2014. It uses firetrucks and trashbag to enhance the narrative and gameplay experience.

Can I get an abstract?
You play as a very bored guy on a space ship.

firetrucks? from ebd? Hot dog! I expect the very best!
You'll be disappointed.

How big is it?
Right now it is about 8 megabytes, including a soothing custom musical selection composed by yours truly.

Right, I forgot ebd is challenged in many ways and can't interpret questions correctly. How many levels is it?
Just one.

About the music: its not that autotracker shit I hope!
It is not.

Is the music good?
No.

When is it being released?
Before the end of 2015, regardless of whether it is ready or not. If it is not ready by that time, the Honor Demon will insist that I commit sodoku.

What is a firetruck? Why are your putting them in trashbags?
firetrucks is a cool toolkit for mappers to add more intractability and other things like cutscenes and dialog. trashbag is an addon to that package that adds more content, but it doesn't really change the heart of what firetrucks is. You can read more about the two packages at: http://ebd.unrealsp.org/firetrucks/ http://ebd.unrealsp.org/trashbag/

As a player, that means you will get to enjoy increased interactivity, dialog, and cutscenes, if all that is your cup of tea.

Does it work in coop?
Nope.

I won't play it then.
Sorry to hear that, but making firetrucks work properly in netplay would be more work than I really have time for anymore.
Last edited by ebd on Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: [227] Star Shoal Chronicles: Episode Infinity

Post by Smirftsch »

LOL, this really sounds funny. Not sure if I got everything right though :P

Sorry to hear that, but making firetrucks work properly in netplay would be more work than I really have time for anymore.
FIXITFIXITFIXIT (at least that's what they say to me all the time).
Last edited by Smirftsch on Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
ebd
OldUnreal Member

Post by ebd »

I've run into some issues and there isn't a lot of time left until the end of the year. If I can't resolve them soon I'll have to make the hard choice of either releasing this thing in a broken state (no paths, also hangs on startup in certain versions of 227j) or else failing yet again to deliver on time.

Anyone know what might cause crashes while rebuilding paths? I'm not seeing anything in the logs to provide any information (or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong log). It crashes while calculating reachspecs at around 1.4 million out of 170 reachspecs. This seems slightly suspect to me, but then again I'm just not that clever when it comes to these things.

EDIT: Had an inventory spot with a perfect duplicate sharing the same name and everything. Deleting it (as well as the other perfect duplicate actors) allowed building paths to complete successful!
Last edited by ebd on Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ebd
OldUnreal Member

Post by ebd »

"Yeah," you think to yourself. "ebd has flaked again. What a total loser." Well guess what? You're wrong about the first part at least.

Grab the level and its dependencies here:
http://ebd.unrealsp.org/shoal/shoal_release.zip

Was it worth the wait? (No...)

It needs 227i. There may be a 1.1 release at some point to address issues concerning future proofing and maybe bug fixes, but we'll see if that is needed. Please play it with the default gametype (FiretrucksGame) as changing the gametype will break pretty much everything.

I hope 2015 has been great for everyone and there is no better way to herald in the new year than by wasting a few minutes of your life on a really crappy unreal level.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

Haha, good job on this one. I really enjoyed it! It ended a bit sooner than I expected but I had so many laughs on my journey :P

Design wise it's a really pleasant looking map as well, with some great architecture using the stock unreal textures.
Plus this map has to have the most creative use of unreal assets ever :D

a few minor glitches here and there (the first thing I interacted with did a showall actors, it also doesn't work on 227j for me either), but overall a great map! :D

gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Installed, had to quit playing because work (boooo!).

First thoughts:
Nice environments. Moody but not overdone. I enjoyed taking my time and poking through most of the stuff in the first part. Now I'm wondering if I should import some of the firetruck behavior into my server controller...

Anyway a brief look-at was fun, though a bit frustrating for me since I had to work out how to use the interface. Perhaps adding an embedded tutorial to the first room would be a good idea. Something like an arrow with floating prompt on how to interact with the item. You'd just need one and it would help a bunch with someone unfamiliar with FireTrucks.

Complaints: Only two. I also got the 'show all' on the table, and the coins were all floating for me and not lying on the floor. Screenshot?

Well done Artist-formerly-known-as-ebd.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

I actually thought the firetrucks interface was intuitive and simple to use, the only issues I had so far were mostly minor ones, such as the hit detection for interactions which were a bit off (ammo-like pulsating glows would be a nice indicator).

although I really hope firetruck multiplayer support might become a priority someday in the future, so many possibilities and it might really make it a lot more popular with custom map projects :)
Last edited by Turboman. on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ebd
OldUnreal Member

Post by ebd »

I'm glad people are enjoying it. I know there are plenty of typos and the it sounds like a few sequences work a little funny.
although I really hope firetruck multiplayer support might become a priority someday in the future, so many possibilities and it might really make it a lot more popular with custom map projects :)
If anyone wants to add this in the entire source for firetrucks is on github.

What would be needed for multiplayer support:
  • Refactor to remove dependency with FiretrucksGame by instead having either a mutator or actor within the level enacting space magic
  • a redesign of the cutscene, dialog, and mouse triggers, and several others to properly support more than one player
  • supporting replication, which means both understanding Unreal replication and rewriting everything to stop accessing things from a context which wouldn't have it (for example, don't call something in the HUD that does an allactors etc)
  • tell ebd he is a total idiot for not doing it properly in the first place
  • also make a new flower model. trashbag had some lavender in a vasse, and I originally made a hyacinth model for firetrucks, but nobody liked it and the model was a bit crap so I scrapped it.
Red_Fist2
OldUnreal Member

Post by Red_Fist2 »

Just tried this, the whole thing becomes trying to figure out and read small print, rather than just play and figure out the map or shooting.

I dunno, it needs more realtime help, like, what is the cooked steak for, or why can't I grab that broken gun, or why did the comp screen change after the alarm goes off, or is a door un-lockable.

So I spent mega time trying to find a weapon, but then I bought one, with only enough gold for very few ammo.
Then you die after seeing the movie "nothing personal"

It is really cool but leaves you in a lurch trying to read between the lines. MORE than just playing it.

So I will take another stab at figuring it out, just like any other game.

The largest complaint is , the message print is too small, and if you click on a message you have to unclick it in order to see the new message. Otherwise you see the same one as you just click on the next one.

All the detail is not needed, but good, like putting a sound by each torch all the way around that room, while playing , the player would know, no difference.

This is my first impression, the effects and mapping are all pretty cool, how the hell did you make the steak change colors and program it to be done or burnt, LoL I didn't know it could get burned the first time I tried it.

Last edited by Red_Fist2 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Unreal Projects”