For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal vs Doom

This Board was made to give Unreal projects a home- if you need a place to discuss about your mods, campains, to offer your projects for download, to seek members for it.
Officer D
OldUnreal Member

Unreal vs Doom

Post by Officer D »

Hello to the remaining old Unreal community. I'll just leave my little project here, in the hopes to maybe find some testers and get some criticism.

Known issues to me, are that some of the pawns in DoomPawns.u cause my game to crash. Not sure if this is a problem on my end or something in the pawn subclass script. However I have not made the package and don't understand too much of uscript to figure out the problem. Also I had issues where map switching caused my game to crash with the .log not giving me any errors or warning. So I don't know what the deal is with that. Other than that, I hope I didn't forget to include any files and hope you enjoy.

Map Type : Singleplayer Campaign
Game : Unreal Gold
Patch : 227h or higher
Build Time : Started October 2017 had a few months break and finished 4 maps +1 intro on March 2018
Programs Used: UnrealEd 2.1, Gimp 2.8, ModPlug, Audacity, Slade3, Blender 2.78

Download : [url=http://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-vs-doom/downloads]Unreal Vs Doom - @moddb[/url]

Last edited by Officer D on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal vs Doom

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Known issues to me, are that some of the pawns in DoomPawns.u cause my game to crash.
Get your game to crash and post your Unreal.Log -- I think I may know your bug.
Officer D
OldUnreal Member

Post by Officer D »

Of course now that I try to recreate it, it won't happen. But if I remember correctly it had something to do with "MediumTropper anim getting caught in some loop". I'll try to remember to check the log next time it happens. Thank you!
hund_schraube
OldUnreal Member

Post by hund_schraube »

as a person that still plays doom on a regular basis i loved the mod.i loved the meaty unreal[hd mod]weapons.the only bug i had was a reloaded saved game monsters were invisible and couldn't pick up weapons.it would let me hit restart level in load screen and it would work fine.
Officer D
OldUnreal Member

Post by Officer D »

Hi,
and thank you for your feedback. I have noticed the invisible monsters too. Possibly the DoomPawns.u isn't designed for singleplayer campaigns. At least they are not compatible with loading a saved game they are used in.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Played through until I got a very similar crash to desktop:

Let me know when this gets fixed and I'll happily finish out the mod. I have a soft spot in my heart for anything Doom, I'll play that stuff anytime. You did a good job mixing the elements into a true mashup for this. Can't wait to show it to my son tomorrow when he comes over, he will appreciate it as much as I do.

Well done D.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Officer D
OldUnreal Member

Post by Officer D »

I'm glad you like it. I wanted to make a full episode replacement but after making 4 maps, I lost the motivation to continue this project. Hopefully I will be able to finish it someday.

As far as the crash message goes. Yes, that is what I am getting too. It seems to only be an issue with the MediumTropper pawn. The DoomPawns.u I downloaded from this site and it's not quite clear who the author is. Apparently someone called .:..: Maybe []KAOS[]Casey can help me out with this problem.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

That's (literally) dots. He reads these forums and replies occasionally. Either he or Casey would be the people to see. It's nice that the DoomPawns are getting some use and I would think it worth the effort to track down the offender and fix the package if that's what it would require. Your maps alone are worth the time to work on them.

Do be careful too with advertising. IIRC Id shut down a similar project some years back for infringing (post #15) : https://forums.beyondunreal.com/threads ... st-1753044

If you keep going on this and you need private testing/feedback send me a message. I'd be happy to do it. 
Last edited by gopostal on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

There is a newer version of doompawns floating around that i'm not sure was ever officially released. I can't really remember the changes dots made to it, but I do know (as my previous post said) that it fixed a bug. The bug was when a certain sound played, Galaxy crashed. this was because it had silence at the end of a wav file that wasn't actually silence. If you opened it in audacity, you could see the last bit of the spectogram wasn't actually zero if you zoomed way the heck in. That sound was directly taken from Doom, so to the best of my knowledge the original sound file was broken.

Now why does that crash galaxy? fuck if i know. I can take a quick look, at least. My main problem is i don't really want to circulate yet another version of doompawns, but far as i know, only Bob runs doompawns these days anyway.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Okay so, I found four different versions of DoomPawns.

tl;dr: found the latest one with most of the fixes and I think i fixed the bug.

I present to you, the fifth version of doompawns!

http://www.klankaos.com/OU/DoomPawns.u

long story short -- I tweaked what is saved by changing what's transient in the DPawnDisplay class.

Before:

Code: Select all

class DPawnDisplay extends Actor
      Transient;

// This variable is set after postbeginplay.
// Use owner on prebeginplay or postbeginplay.
var DoomPawns Renderer;
var Player RenderObject;
var byte AnimChange,LastCheckB; // Default 255
var bool bChecked,bHasDied;
var int NumFrames,LastFrame;
var float TimeLeft,AmountTime;
After:

class DPawnDisplay extends Actor;

// This variable is set after postbeginplay.
// Use owner on prebeginplay or postbeginplay.
var DoomPawns Renderer;
var Transient Player RenderObject; //Do not save this variable, as it references an Object.
var byte AnimChange,LastCheckB; // Default 255
var Transient bool bChecked; //Do not save this variable, as if RenderObject is None from a savegame load, it will automatically be recreated.
var bool bHasDied;
var int NumFrames,LastFrame;
var float TimeLeft,AmountTime;
This works because of this code:

simulated function Tick( float D )
{
      local byte By;
      local bool bAnimChanged;
      local int Frame;
      local float F;
      local rotator TheNewRot;

// Check for render object
      if( !bChecked )
      {
            bChecked = True;
            RenderObject = Class'DRendering'.Static.GetPlayerOwner(Self);
            if( RenderObject==None ) // Could be an dedicated server... cancel everything.
            {
                  Disable('Tick');
                  Return;
            }
      }

tl;dr: RenderObject is a "Player", which is an Object. We cannot save Objects like that or else very bad things happen. So, if we make just that variable transient, AND the checked flag transient, upon the first tick on reloading the level, it acts as if it was spawned the first time, even though it wasnt.
Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Doubleposting, but --

Note that this version of doompawns(since it is newer than the mods original contains a number of balance changes, including:
  • Changing monster speed to be slower/faster
    Changing monster HP to be higher/lower
    Changing hitbox collision sizes
    Removing the CyberDemon stomping launching you
    Adding some blood on-hit-decal
    Mirroring/Animation fixes
    Randomized damage on some monsters
    Rockets do more damage
etc.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

I updated mine to this version , whether that was the intention or not.if it fixes anything its for the best anyway.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

I love this community. Alright D, Ima going back in...send ammo, gonna need it.

Thank you Casey. I really did want to complete this and hard crashes like that will mess up my desktop icons and resolution sometimes. You da man!
Officer D
OldUnreal Member

Post by Officer D »

That is great news! Thank you []KAOS[]Casey for putting effort into finding and updating the DoomPawns.u. I shall upload the fixed version asap.  :)

Edit:
Okay, fix is up. No need for anybody here who has already replaced the file to get this.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-vs-doom/downloads
Last edited by Officer D on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Please note that I have no idea if any of the changes since the OPs packaged version actually fixed any crashes with state change. That's usually a sign something's really jacked memory corruption wise, but how/why idk
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

I just finished a playthrough to the end without a single issue. I'll do it a couple more times to be sure. Tough work I know, but someone has to do it.

Nice ending too BTW. Your cinematics are on point.
Officer D
OldUnreal Member

Post by Officer D »

I did add "hopefully fixed" to the description, just in-case ;)
Officer D
OldUnreal Member

Post by Officer D »

I just finished a playthrough to the end without a single issue. I'll do it a couple more times to be sure. Tough work I know, but someone has to do it.
Did you find the secret exit too?  :)
Nice ending too BTW. Your cinematics are on point.
I hope you are referring to the cinematics from the intro and not the outro. Since the outro is a placeholder for now and is just the final scene from Unreal. :)
Last edited by Officer D on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Did you find the secret exit too?  :)
Once many years ago I was talking with AngelMapper and she offhandedly said "Every map needs a secret". I've lived that in nearly everything I've done, there's some hidden mechanism in it. Glad to know others are on the same page. I'll certainly go looking :)
I hope you are referring to the cinematics from the intro and not the outro. Since the outro is a placeholder for now and is just the final scene from Unreal.  :)
Consider that a gentle dig to get you to do more levels ;)  I'd have been way happier with "to be continued" since the way it ends kind of works and could allow the series to stand on it's own, sorta.
Last edited by gopostal on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Officer D
OldUnreal Member

Post by Officer D »

Once many years ago I was talking with AngelMapper and she offhandedly said "Every map needs a secret". I've lived that in nearly everything I've done, there's some hidden mechanism in it. Glad to know others are on the same page. I'll certainly go looking :)
They certainly are a pleasant surprise and give the player a sense of achievement when found.
Consider that a gentle dig to get you to do more levels ;)  I'd have been way happier with "to be continued" since the way it ends kind of works and could allow the series to stand on it's own, sorta.
True, I guess I was just being lazy ::)

Return to “Unreal Projects”