For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[227i] Multi-Threaded BSP builder

This Board was made to give Unreal projects a home- if you need a place to discuss about your mods, campains, to offer your projects for download, to seek members for it.
.:..:
OldUnreal Member

[227i] Multi-Threaded BSP builder

Post by .:..: »

227i only!
This is an experiment for multi-threaded BSP rebuilder. It works quite efficiently  as it speeds up build time by a lot if you have a multi-core CPU.

It only builds BSP and optimizes geometry (does not compute lighting nor paths yet).

All you have to do is to add EditPackages=MapBuilder to Unreal.ini in correct section. Then in editor click the "Multi-core map rebuild." option on the left (uses invert selection icon). Don't get afraid as it will quite literally lock the computer (even mouse movement will freeze) at some point during build as it makes every CPU core work to 100 %.
It has no BSP build options yet, it just defaults to most optimal build options.
After that you need to use regular light/paths builder.

Download from here: www.klankaos.com/downloads/MapBuilder227i.zip

EDIT: To some comparison, when testing with one of the largest Firestorm maps. Rebuilding BSP with 227i editor took me 5:04 minutes to rebuild, but with this tool it rebuilt it in 1:32 minutes. (I have a quad core Intel i5 processor, 3.5 GHz)
Last edited by .:..: on Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Re: [227i] Multi-Threaded BSP builder

Post by yrex . »

Indeed, it's twice as fast on a dual-core CPU. And no, it didn't lock up my PC or mouse.

I think I found a bug. If you open any map and rebuild it twice in a row, this happens:
---------------------------
Critical Error
---------------------------
General protection fault!

History: TestLights
My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
.:..:
OldUnreal Member

Post by .:..: »

Yea I noticed, missed to cleanup a variable after build. I updated the link to new code (also fixed a possible data racing problem).
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

Why not a version for 227j ? :'(

BTW. Awesome !
Buster
Global Moderator

Post by Buster »

Yeah, this is pretty useful, especially when maps are getting more complex. A pleasant result of all the goodies that come with 227.
Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
:-)_~
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlexNitro44 »

Seems pretty useful - I'll have a shot of it when I get chance. Lighting is the one area of the build process that really needs this sort of work, but BSP building is a nice improvement too!

Return to “Unreal Projects”