For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Question concerning map size limits

Ask UnrealEd 2 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Question concerning map size limits

Post by gopostal »

So I'm kicking this idea around about making a DayZ-type mod but I have some questions concerning map size. The mod idea hinges on a pretty large area to explore since there will only be one map that runs perpetually. I can get around the default occlusion clipping distance by mountains, etc but I'm thinking about making 3 or more stacking 'full size' world maps connected by portalzone tunnels around the edges.
Has anyone toyed with the idea of such a large map project? Total polys won't be incredibly high since it's going to be mostly open-world with scattered ruins, buildings, etc. I've never attempted anything of this scale so does anyone have any experience with such a thing? TIA
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Bleeder91[NL]
OldUnreal Member

Re: Question concerning map size limits

Post by Bleeder91[NL] »

Large maps are a pain. The biggest problem would be rebuilding time but that's just a small part of the list. There is a different way, though. Dots made something that allows linking maps together. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if going to a next map and back makes you spawn at the same map you were before. Here's [url=http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1286137891]the link[/url]. It does require changing .dll so if it's not going to be run on your server then anyone that wants to run it needs to replace that .dll
Last edited by Bleeder91[NL] on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

One of the things I did do already was create a central lounge server with the ability for players to move off of it (and back) between a selection of maps and made it work with UT Monsterhunt servers without crashing the players who stayed in the lounge. To be honest no one cared for it and it went mostly unused (to my surprise). I'd have thought that it would be useful but there just aren't enough social gamers any more in Unreal.

I did think about this idea and even linking several servers sharing data from a central web database so that the world could be as big as I wanted to make it. I think this falls squarely into KISS though so I'm going to restrict to what I can create in editor. I've seen some pretty massive maps run without problems so all that's left is to see if you can stack them without a mess of BSP occlusion. There is a map in MH called LostInTime that uses pretty much an entire plane of the available field so I think I'll edit that down and try stacking a couple of layers to see if it will compile and then run online. I was just interested in seeing if anyone had truly tested the limits of the engine in this manner.
William(Rainman)
OldUnreal Member

Post by William(Rainman) »

I Believe there is a Poly Limit also.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Just as a follow up to this I server tested an absolutely humongous map consisting of 3 'layers' of map that were connected via teleporter. Here's an editor shot:
http://utrustedplayer.com/GP/DayZMap.jpg
(warning-large image)

The map comes in at 14.4K polys and 44K nodes, with a ratio of 3.08:1. That's starting to push things but it's still in the acceptable range. On server the map ran solidly and without lag so this gives me all the real estate I need to go forward with my game. Gotta love that UEngine, it's like working on my old VW bug. It's ugly, it smokes and stutters, but the damn thing runs every time you ask it to.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

Well, I'm interested in this topic too. I've got a few touchin' the edges the limits of the editor.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Bleeder was very correct, big maps are a PITA. I was able to run huge real estate stably but once I started adding a few scattered buildings and models it became unmanageable. BSP occlusion caused all kinds of errors no matter how I stacked or rotated the planes. It was just too much to ask from it and I never got it to run and look right without creating HOM's and dead zones. Also it weirdly would convert the main zone to lava or water when rebuilding even though I expressly set the main zone to a normal one.

I would avoid trying to poke those outer edges of stability. It doesn't go well.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

Thanks for your advice. :\ I ran into these issues as well.

Return to “UnrealEd 2, the editor for UnrealTournament”