For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[Ugly snippet]Disabling DEP

han
Global Moderator

[Ugly snippet]Disabling DEP

Post by han »

As Galaxy and Fire package choke when DEP is enable, and you have a custom launcher, you should try to disable it in case it is opt-out, or notify the user that he should turn off dep. I basically call this shortly after appInit() in my launchers. Code is ugly, and needs to be split up and rewritten.

Code: Select all

/*=============================================================================
	RevDEP.cpp: Revision DEP handling.
	Copyright 2015 Sebastian Kaufel. All Rights Reserved.

Revision history:
		* Created by Sebastian Kaufel

TODO:
		* Refactor code to some general purpose DEP functions instead
			of a large one.
=============================================================================*/

#include "windows.h"
#include "RevisionCorePrivate.h"

/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
	DEP. -- FIXME Add FreeLibrary !
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

#ifndef LoadLibraryX
	#define LoadLibraryX(a)					TCHAR_CALL_OS(LoadLibraryW(a),LoadLibraryA(TCHAR_TO_ANSI(a)))
#endif

typedef BOOL (WINAPI *GetProcessDEPPolicyFunc)( HANDLE hProcess, LPDWORD lpFlags, PBOOL lpPermanent );
typedef BOOL (WINAPI *SetProcessDEPPolicyFunc)( DWORD dwFlags );

// Returns 1 if either DEP is/was disabled or it is probably not available at all.
// Just returns 0 after user confirmation (if Ask=1).
UBOOL appMitigateDEP( UBOOL Ask )
{
	// Load Kernel32.dll.
	HINSTANCE hInstance = LoadLibraryX(TEXT("Kernel32.dll"));
	if ( !hInstance )
	{
		debugf( NAME_Warning, TEXT("Failed to load library Kernel32.dll (%#x)."), GetLastError() );
		return 1;
	}

// Load GetProcessDEPPolicy().
	GetProcessDEPPolicyFunc GetProcessDEPPolicy = (GetProcessDEPPolicyFunc)GetProcAddress( hInstance, "GetProcessDEPPolicy" );
	if ( !GetProcessDEPPolicy )
	{
		debugf( NAME_Warning, TEXT("Failed to load GetProcessDEPPolicy() out of library Kernel32.dll (%#x)."), GetLastError() );
		return 1;
	}

// Load SetProcessDEPPolicy().
	SetProcessDEPPolicyFunc SetProcessDEPPolicy = (SetProcessDEPPolicyFunc)GetProcAddress( hInstance, "SetProcessDEPPolicy" );
	if ( !SetProcessDEPPolicy )
	{
		debugf( NAME_Warning, TEXT("Failed to load SetProcessDEPPolicy() out of library Kernel32.dll (%#x)."), GetLastError() );
		return 1;
	}

DWORD Flags=0;
	BOOL  Permanent=0;
	if ( !GetProcessDEPPolicy(GetCurrentProcess(),&Flags,&Permanent) )
	{
		debugf( NAME_Warning, TEXT("Failed to read process Data Execution Prevention policy (%#x)."), GetLastError() );
		return 1;
	}

debugf( NAME_Init, TEXT("DEP Policy is %i:%i"), Flags, Permanent );

// Notice user if things are bad.
	if ( Flags && Permanent )
	{
		if ( Ask )
			return !GWarn->YesNof( TEXT("Data Execution Prevention is enabled for this process and cannot be disabled. The game is likely to crash due to known incompatibilities. Would you like to exit the game now?") );
		else
			return 0;
	}

// Nothing to do.
	if ( Flags==0 )
		return 1;

// Try disabling DEP for this process in case system DEP policy is OptOut.
	if ( !SetProcessDEPPolicy(0) )
		debugf( NAME_Warning, TEXT("Failed to set process Data Execution Prevention policy (%#x)."), GetLastError() );

if ( !GetProcessDEPPolicy(GetCurrentProcess(),&Flags,&Permanent) )
	{
		debugf( NAME_Warning, TEXT("Failed to read process Data Execution Prevention policy (%#x)."), GetLastError() );
		return 1;
	}

debugf( NAME_Init, TEXT("DEP Policy changed to %i:%i"), Flags, Permanent );

// Notice user if things are bad.
	if ( Flags )
	{
		if ( Ask )
			return !GWarn->YesNof( TEXT("Data Execution Prevention is enabled for this process and disabling failed. The game is likely to crash due to known incompatibilities. Would you like to exit the game now?") );
		else
			return 0;
	}

return 1;
}

/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
	The end.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
Last edited by han on Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Re: [Ugly snippet]Disabling DEP

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

Forgive me for asking but, isn't there a ACT shim that accomplishes the same thing you're doing in your native code?
“I am the dragon without a name.”
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñïght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil
han
Global Moderator

Re: [Ugly snippet]Disabling DEP

Post by han »

Forgive me for asking but, isn't there a ACT shim that accomplishes the same thing you're doing in your native code?
I can remember seeing sth. like that in for Unreal.exe. However it seems to be not set for each ue1 game, however as I usually use a custom launcher for my projects with another executable name (mostly to also have distinct User.ini and Default.ini/DefUser.ini files), it is would not be affected by any ACT shim for the stock exectuable.
Despite that it puts out a warning if DEP is enforced by system settings.
Last edited by han on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.

Return to “C++ Native Mods for UE1”