For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

DM-Area16

The forum related to the Usermaps section, please ask questions here. This board is for mappers to discuss and exchange experiences
THEBaratusII
OldUnreal Member

DM-Area16

Post by THEBaratusII »

Hey everyone! I have been improving my UnrealEd skills, and I've recently made a Deathmatch map for Unreal. This map based on a Bloodbath level from Plasma Pak called "Area 15" for Blood. It is currently complete and submitted to unrealarchive.org for review and should be there soon, so expect the original post to be updated. Any feedback is welcome as I look into making more deathmatch maps at some point. U_On

Also will note, the elevators in this level may false-trigger.

Here are a few screenshots I've taken :
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: DM-Area16

Post by Hellkeeper »

Interesting layout. Geometry is basic but if that's a first map, that's to be expected. Good work. :)
For your next project, you should aim at decorating your rooms and vary texture usage.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

It was perhaps not his first map ever but I believe he hasn't done anything on UnrealED since 2013 (and that might have been a map for unreal beta). He did make a good WIP remake of Dig for Doom2 though (classic, no sourceport enhancements). And this map is less basic than his old maps for unreal, however don't forget this is a remake of a rather basic looking map from Blood, even though I am not that familiar with the game I have seen him play it.

I'm sure he can give better attention to detail if he spends more time on a map.

EDIT: btw try adding unique returngroup to each lift if that's the problem if you return a lift all of them get triggered or something, is a common bug/ommision in unreal with movers or set each different tag just in case then they all won't get returned because they're tag "mover".
THEBaratusII
OldUnreal Member

Post by THEBaratusII »

Hellkeeper wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:05 am Interesting layout. Geometry is basic but if that's a first map, that's to be expected. Good work. :)
For your next project, you should aim at decorating your rooms and vary texture usage.
Thanks! I'll be sure to work around decorating the rooms, also what do you mean by "vary texture usage"? Was having some trouble understanding that part.
Leo T_C_K wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:05 pm It was perhaps not his first map ever but I believe he hasn't done anything on UnrealED since 2013 (and that might have been a map for unreal beta). He did make a good WIP remake of Dig for Doom2 though (classic, no sourceport enhancements). And this map is less basic than his old maps for unreal, however don't forget this is a remake of a rather basic looking map from Blood, even though I am not that familiar with the game I have seen him play it.

I'm sure he can give better attention to detail if he spends more time on a map.

EDIT: btw try adding unique returngroup to each lift if that's the problem if you return a lift all of them get triggered or something, is a common bug/ommision in unreal with movers or set each different tag just in case then they all won't get returned because they're tag "mover".
You are correct on this one! if anything this would be my first properly made map, the maps I've made prior were pretty poor, and after making Area 16, I've noticed my UnrealEd skills improving. As for the "WIP remake of Dig" for Doom 2, I haven't gotten around to finishing that due to other things getting in the way along with being stuck in Mappers Block for a while. As for the mover issue I could look into that as I'm looking into fine tuning the map a little more and call it a revised version.

Also I have been waiting for the submission to go through but it is taking longer than I expected. I might send a download link here for now as I can't seem to edit the original post.

Download!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

You could make a video too if I don't get around to setting up Unreal to try it later. Or perhaps host it on your server to play with friends/stream it. Could be interesting although you haven't posted regular youtube videos for a while.

I think with varying texture usage he meant that it doesn't use as many textures as maps he is used to. Though I think the blood map used way less textures instead didn't it?

But I don't think it's necesarily a problem. Just some people get spoiled by certain maps, lol.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

THEBaratusII wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:41 pm also what do you mean by "vary texture usage"? Was having some trouble understanding that part.
All your walls are the same blue texture with a black linear decoration. Add some decorations and use more textures so it's more interesting to look at and helps the player determines where he is.

Here's a map I made with the same texture theme for example.

[img]http://hellkeeper.net/images/map/pics/p17/p173.jpg[/img]
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

lol the img tag isn't working here
but well some people might confuse decoration when you mean decorative brushes for what Unreal calls Decorations, as in the class decoration lol

Put 100000 tarydiumbarrel in your map and it will be instant win
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:07 pm Put 100000 tarydiumbarrel in your map and it will be instant win
I see absolutely no problem with this. >:D
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Cool! Though yeah I agree with Hellkeeper, it would be good to vary the environment colours so the player can identify where abouts they are in the map, otherwise it may end up being slightly disorientating!

thumbsup

Return to “Usermaps”