For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Work in Progress - The WIP Thread

The forum related to the Usermaps section, please ask questions here. This board is for mappers to discuss and exchange experiences
TONI-M
OldUnreal Member

Re: Work in Progress - The WIP Thread

Post by TONI-M »

In Italy we say: number 1

You are welcome.
Maybe one day: you'll let me play with it.
Hello.
TONI
TONI-M
OldUnreal Member

Post by TONI-M »

I have an idea:
If it doesn't cost you so much you make the file ini with the translator's messages.
Then everyone in his own way translates them into his own language

Hi toni.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Speaking of The Complete Unreal Editor Reference Guide.pdf what user DeathBliss had in mind by saying UnrealEd is beta? Did he mean Unreal Editor 1 from 1995 or from 1998? Because I guess in one of these versions map changes are not supported,right?
Skaarj
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skaarj »

I'll start from afar.
I work a lot in the Half-Life1 map editor.
I like the simplicity of the editor, the flexibility and convenience of the brush builder, vertex and texture tool, compile tools with perfect brush lighting without crazy HOMs.
UnrealED is many times worse and unfriendly to users in this.
My latest work:
https://gamebanana.com/mods/371587
All brushes except plants.
I like to work in the Half-Life1 editor.
I thought, maybe I can make brushes in the Half-Life1 editor and transfer to UnrealED?
Half-Life1 editor has the ability to export brushes to OBJ.

Part of the map has successfully migrated with texture names and UVs.
The brush work for HL1 is noticeably different from the Unreal brush work, all brushes in HL1 are convex, and I decided to create a level with more optimization for multi-brush structures.

Looks good, but I have a lot of HOM and invisible walls, excessive triangulation (how to remove edges in UnrealED?), no smooth lightmap around edges (https://images.gamebanana.com/img/embed ... _image.jpg it's all brushes and lightmaps).
I will not continue the fight against UnrealED.
Maybe I'll do some simple geometry.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

The archway + decor look great.

Speaking of UnrealEd, I personally use Blender to map rather than Ued as it provides so much control and flexibility. The only slightly annoying thing is having to export each brush from Blender, convert to .t3d and then import the brush, I do a few things to optimize the workload of this process, such as setting the origin of everything to the center of the world. That way, the geometry keeps it's offset if left in the center of the map and is already aligned where it's supposed to be immediately when importing the brush, i don't have to move those types of brushes anywhere.

But on the topic of works in progress though, have been making alooot of progress with Terra Mining Region, including alot of stuff not yet shared in the main thread.

Birds eye view of the current size of the map, the box near the image edges marks the maximum extents of an Unreal map.

The skaarj meshes are dotted around in the last shot are there to compare the scale of the surroundings etc.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

A small edit of DmDeck16 I did some weeks ago. Turns out the Peacemaker isn't a good replacement for the Redeemer, lol!

Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Carrying capacity utilities the player can equip in Terra Mining Region.

Also re-animating the player models to make use of new mechanics.

https://youtube.com/shorts/87D6IJV1LEs
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard

Return to “Usermaps”