For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

unreal 3?

Unreal2 seems to vanish more and more too. Time to put it up here :)
Solid_Snake FirePhoenix
OldUnreal Member

unreal 3?

Post by Solid_Snake FirePhoenix »

why have they not made an unreal 3? that revisits the original story of unreal 1? with the way that na-pali ended I think the story is left verrrry open.....
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Re: unreal 3?

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

[glow=yellow,2,300]No.[/glow]
Solid_Snake FirePhoenix
OldUnreal Member

WHY?
¤§kàárjHüntèr¤
OldUnreal Member

Post by ¤§kàárjHüntèr¤ »

I'm surprised they haven't made an open-world survival/rpg on Na Pali. If you've ever read the books (Hard Crash and Prophet's Power) by Ryan Hughes, keep that setting in mind. I could totally imagine a game revolving around being the only human in a foreign world, helping the rebel Nali to fight back the Skaarj. 8-)
Solid_Snake FirePhoenix
OldUnreal Member

I have never read either of those books yet but you have a good point and I'm glad someone has the same thoughts on this as I do!:-)
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

OrangesTheWarlord

Post by OrangesTheWarlord »

thaye are did maek Unreal 3 they maked it back in 2007 but it wasnting fun it wuz bad but the artstyle wuz nice you think if theye gives me there files bitch i culd maked unreal 4 yes? not crap quack 4 like epic gains maked pre alfa now yes?
No
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

thaye are did maek Unreal 3 they maked it back in 2007 but it wasnting fun it wuz bad but the artstyle wuz nice you think if theye gives me there files bitch i culd maked unreal 4 yes? not crap quack 4 like epic gains maked pre alfa now yes?
Yes.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

so its gonna use the newly anticipated peanut butter jelly engine then?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Here's how I picture you right now:

[img]http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/396599REACTIONTOSHIT.gif[/img]
You must construct additional pylons.
Solid_Snake FirePhoenix
OldUnreal Member

thaye are did maek Unreal 3 they maked it back in 2007
really?... but was it a direct continuation after na pali?
SoulUnreal

Post by SoulUnreal »

Perhaps a good programmer can do a remake of Unreal1 with Unreal Engine 4 ?   ::)
Last edited by SoulUnreal on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Perhaps a good programmer can do a remake of Unreal1 with Unreal Engine 4 ?   ::)
1) It takes more than one guy, and it takes more than just programmers.

2) This kind of project usually ends with a C&D letter from Epic because you are remaking their own game which is their own property.

As for why there is no Unreal 3, the answer is manifold: First, Unreal 2 was a flop, so for a while a solo Unreal was not something to be expected. But Unreal 2 is a very old game and I highly doubt it has any impact on the current policies of Epic.

Second, Unreal is largely a victim of Unreal Tournament's success. When you say "Unreal", people think "UT". This means anyone would be slightly reluctant to release a game with such a troublesome brand recognition. I can't guarantee it, but I suspect this might play a role in Epic's decision to make solo games under other brands then Unreal (such as GoW).

Third, the market for solo FPS might not be currently favourable right now. There is a large segment of the audience which seems to prefer pseudo-realistic military shooters, a few SF ones but which are relatively grounded (I think of Mass Effect and so forth, even though these ones are already old news). Unreal is a dinosaur: it's a completely unrealistic (how appropriate) FPS with over the top weapons. Unreal is also largely devoid of story, scenario and character, something which was not a problem back in the days of Unreal but is really expected now. Unreal 2 had some but it sucked and crashed.

Fourth, solo FPS is on its way to extinction. Games are made to be multiplayer with a few hours-long solo which is usually a glorified tutorial. There are exceptions (FarCry, Borderlands, Fallout), but they're mostly series which have always been dedicated to solo first, multiplayer next, which is not the case of Unreal, once again because of the influence of Unreal Tournament.

Finally, and I think it's the main thing: people play Unreal because they want to flak each others in the face on Deck. The amount of people who are interested in a new Unreal game is maybe 1/100 of the amount of people interested in a new Unreal Tournament. So the future is Tournaments.

EDIT : Woah, sorry SoulUnreal, I typed accidentally removed like 3/4 of your post because I hit "modify" instead of "quote" when typing this long answer. I'm sorry, it was a mistake.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoulUnreal

Post by SoulUnreal »

1) It takes more than one guy, and it takes more than just programmers.

2) This kind of project usually ends with a C&D letter from Epic because you are remaking their own game which is their own property.

As for why there is no Unreal 3, the answer is manifold: First, Unreal 2 was a flop, so for a while a solo Unreal was not something to be expected. But Unreal 2 is a very old game and I highly doubt it has any impact on the current policies of Epic.

Second, Unreal is largely a victim of Unreal Tournament's success. When you say "Unreal", people think "UT". This means anyone would be slightly reluctant to release a game with such a troublesome brand recognition. I can't guarantee it, but I suspect this might play a role in Epic's decision to make solo games under other brands then Unreal (such as GoW).

Third, the market for solo FPS might not be currently favourable right now. There is a large segment of the audience which seems to prefer pseudo-realistic military shooters, a few SF ones but which are relatively grounded (I think of Mass Effect and so forth, even though these ones are already old news). Unreal is a dinosaur: it's a completely unrealistic (how appropriate) FPS with over the top weapons. Unreal is also largely devoid of story, scenario and character, something which was not a problem back in the days of Unreal but is really expected now. Unreal 2 had some but it sucked and crashed.

Fourth, solo FPS is on its way to extinction. Games are made to be multiplayer with a few hours-long solo which is usually a glorified tutorial. There are exceptions (FarCry, Borderlands, Fallout), but they're mostly series which have always been dedicated to solo first, multiplayer next, which is not the case of Unreal, once again because of the influence of Unreal Tournament.

Finally, and I think it's the main thing: people play Unreal because they want to flak each others in the face on Deck. The amount of people who are interested in a new Unreal game is maybe 1/100 of the amount of people interested in a new Unreal Tournament. So the future is Tournaments.

EDIT : Woah, sorry SoulUnreal, I typed accidentally removed like 3/4 of your post because I hit "modify" instead of "quote" when typing this long answer. I'm sorry, it was a mistake.

I love the single player and I do not like the multiplayer . Frenzied and no plot , story , atmosphere , suspense , etc ...
Unreal1 had all this ... The music was beautiful ... I think we can create a good Unreal3 with a fascinating story . See Deus Ex , FarCry , Crysis , Half Life , etc ... I hope ...
Unreal 2 was a flop because it was too different from Unreal1 .
See what will happen in the future 8-)
Last edited by SoulUnreal on Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Post by EvilGrins »

Unreal 3: The Skaarj Invasion of Earth

You play as a lone pupae, that somehow got stuck onboard a ship in the Skaarj fleet, your mission is to survive and bite as many human feet as possible.

FOR THE QUEEN!
Last edited by EvilGrins on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Gaming strategy: Hug everything!
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

You play as a lone pupae, that somehow got stuck onboard a ship in the Skaarj fleet, your mission is to survive and bite as many human feet as possible.

FOR THE QUEEN!
So basically the first part of the Alien campaign in AvP 2?
Damn that was a nice game.
Solid_Snake FirePhoenix
OldUnreal Member

FOR THE QUEEN!
oooook..... lol ::) ;D
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Post by dustinechoes849 »

FOR THE QUEEN!
this needs to be made :D :D :D
Solid_Snake FirePhoenix
OldUnreal Member

Don't count on it being done..... If you know what I mean.. ::) :-X :-/
FXan
OldUnreal Member

Post by FXan »

I would love a completely different story, like Unreal 2.
Unreal 2 has the best story of all the game series.

It would be the best game for new players that doesn't know the past since they want a remake but they don't know that a remake is always bad for most people.
That problem is happening in Doom 4.
Also in Unreal 3 will happen too, if the game appears someday.

Unreal Tournament is not famous because it's repetitive.
Unreal has a great story but people want a remake, a different story is better.
So basically the unreal community will be never the enough famous, that's good.

The smartest people always win. :)
Last edited by FXan on Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

That's what I keep saying too.

In fact I already made plans for both unreal 3 and unreal 4 and given my knowledge of the lore/background stories, if I got hired by Epic to do it I could theoretically pull it off well.

I posted some of the ideas on buf over the years.

It boils down to this:

In Unreal 3, the player would start on an Inuit cruiser, while being a new game, it would have past refrences and a bigger role for the Inuit Corporation.

The player would find incriminating data against the corporation and upon being found, sabotaging the ship's systems who's been secrtely observing and heading towards the Krall homeworld(maybe) planet...

You'd need to make a frantic escape to the escape pods, the ship wouldn't survive like Vortex Rikers did....

Metal planks falling as you make the escape, heavy dynamic action and clever sequences, needing to avoid falling objects which would be randomized and not all the time same as you play...

Whole floors collapsing above you and mayhem ensuing, imagine the rotating corridors gravity stuff like in Unreal 2 end level, except taken to extreme.

having to escape while being tilted 45 degrees, etc etc.

Solid_Snake FirePhoenix
OldUnreal Member

.......-_- *sigh*
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

.......-_- *sigh*
What?

Are you disapointed because such a story would not follow the events directly?

Well I'd hate to disappoint you but it would be too late to pick that story up again.

The problem with Unreal 2 was in many cases that it was too far from any of the original ideas and seemingly had little common with Unreal.

For Unreal 3 you could bring some of the arsenal back and bring back the gritty atmosphere or make it even grittier like it was once supposed to be.

What I outlined would be part of the beginning of events of the game.

It would afterwars expand into open-ended game with lots of exploration and awe on the krall planet below and would feature return of many enemies from the game, including some cut ones and the apperance and genetics of the Krall would be more explored, explaining the variations seen between games and other material.

You would also discover an ancient link between the krall planet and na pali as well..

I suppose what you would want yourself though is true Unreal 2, like the one that was originally envisioned in early plans by Epic which would end up on Skaarj Homeworld instead, but would follow the events directly. Not on Na Pali though.
That was never ever the plan to bring it back there, hence why there were missionpacks in planning to put that need in rest...

Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devil Master
OldUnreal Member

Post by Devil Master »

Would Epic have the legal leverage for a C&D if someone made a map pack for Unreal 1 or 2 and called Unreal 3?
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

I doubt they'd care as you'd have to own u1/2 to play it

but why would you even name it something like that?

Return to “Unreal2 General Forum”