For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal 2 Game CD Hard to Launch

Unreal2 seems to vanish more and more too. Time to put it up here :)
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Unreal 2 Game CD Hard to Launch

Post by Fred »

Hi,

I'm running Windows 10 with all the latest updates. Windows 10 refuses to easilly recognize the Unreal 2 game CDs. After repeated attempts to get Windows 10 to work with the CDs, it finally my recognize the CDs and proceed as intended. This problem persists when installing the game initially and when using the play disc.

I've set the compatibility mode to various options, and have settled on using Windows 8 mode as the best choice. I've also selected to run the game as Administrator. These settings may or may not help Windows 10 recognize the CDs. It seems as though Windows 10 has a compatibility issue with these CDs.

In the end, Windows 10 will recognize the CDs, and function properly. Even so, the process of getting to that point is frustrating. I sometimes have to fiddle around with multiple attempts to get the CDs to work before finally succeeding. In the end, they work.

My question is, has anyone experienced this same problem and, if so, have you found a solution that works better than what I have found (basically just keep trying until it works)?

Freddie
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Unreal 2 Game CD Hard to Launch

Post by Hellkeeper »

I have installed U2 without any problem. Unless recent updates have made changes to the way CD autorun works, which I would find surprising, the issue is probably unrelated to the operating system. Is the disk in fine condition, is the drive working flawlessly?
You must construct additional pylons.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hellkeeper,

Yes the disks are in good condition.  I've had this same problem with several new disks I've purchased when building new systems for others.  I always install Unreal 2 (and other games) when I build a system.

The drives work properly, even new drives in new systems exibit this problem with Unreal 2 disks only.  It seems to me the issue is with the way Windows 10 works, but I can't prove it.  I say this because the issue doesn't exist with other disks.

If this problem was present with other disks, I wouldn't have posted this problem here.  Clearly, there's something amiss with Unreal 2 disks and Windows 10, but what?

Maybe the old age of the game causes Windows 10 to have some issue?  Maybe something to do with user account control?  Something going on here.

It didn't occur to me until recently that user account control may be causing this problem. A couple days ago, I started running Unreal 2 as Administrator. We'll see whether that move does anything. This will take some time to settle. I don't play the game all that often, much less install it new.

Freddy
Last edited by Fred on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Explain the full situation please. Is the game installed now? If it is, does the game refuse to launch or do you encounter problems once it is launched (crashes, black screens, etc.)

A quick look on a few forums points to a number of problems with Unreal 2 on W10, if you describe yours fully, they might provide an answer.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

I did describe the problem fully, quote:

Windows 10 refuses to easily  recognize the Unreal 2 game CDs.  After repeated attempts to get Windows 10 to work with the CDs, it finally my recognize the CDs and proceed as intended.  This problem persists when installing the game initially and when using the play disc.

If there are further issues, I would have stated them.  The problem is as stated, that is, Windows 10 has issues with recognizing the discs.  When if finally does, the game works as intended.  There are no other issues.

Here is what happens when I insert the discs into the CD-ROM drive:  The drive spins and makes a sound, like whirr rump, whirr rump, whir rump and keeps doing that without stopping.  The process to install the game or to launch the game doesn't appear.  Whir rump, whir rump, whir rump and more whir rump.

Because of the above, the eject button won't eject the disc.  The eject function does nothing, but I get an error to the effect that an error occurred.  Ha!  The disc will just keep spinning  I have to reboot the computer and then the disc stops spinning and I can ejected it.

I will then reinsert the disc and the above may or may not reoccur.  It ususlly does reoccur.  I have to then make numerous attempts to get Windows 10 to recognize the disc.  Finally, it will recognize the disc and the game can be installed or palyed as intended.

No othe CDs or DVDs cause this issue in my Windows 10.  Only Unreal 2 discs do this.  This issue has occurred on every Windows 10 computer I have put together, which is about 5, so far.

I always include Unreal 2 on a new build because I like the game and I want others to try it.  New game discs can be found on eBay cheap, so it's no big deal to do this.

Freddy
Last edited by Fred on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Well I have no clue what could cause this. Usually these problems are repeatable and caused by old DRMs, but as far as I know, Unreal 2 does not pack any protection software.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

I was hoping that someone must have played Unreal 2 on their Windows 10 system, and would post their experience here. Am I to conclude that no one reading this thread has played the game on a Windows 10 system?

Freddy
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I did but did not encounter this issue.

Return to “Unreal2 General Forum”