For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal2 Expanded Multiplayer - Community Edition

Unreal2 seems to vanish more and more too. Time to put it up here :)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Unreal2 Expanded Multiplayer - Community Edition

Post by Smirftsch »

I'm sorting out the stuff on my hdd, updating the download pages here you may have noticed.
When checking U2 stuff I've seen that Unreal2 Expanded Multiplayer - Community Edition seems to contain the full game, not only an installer which requires the CD- did anyone ever think about the legal status of this and can tell me more? I'm quite sure it can't be a good idea to offer this for download here.
Thoughts are very welcome.

Same seems to be the case with the dedicated server, U2XMP_Dedicated_7710

Last edited by Smirftsch on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal2 Expanded Multiplayer - Community Edition

Post by GreatEmerald »

Yes, it does contain the full game, but it notifies you that you are not supposed to install it without Unreal II itself. That's how the original U2XMP was, too, because the engine of U2XMP is different than that of Unreal II. There is no other way of distributing it. Same for the dedicated server, you need all the files to run one.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

can't be entirely true, because there is a version of XMP which can be downloaded f.e. from GameFront, which claims:

NOTE: This is not a standalone version of XMP. You require the PLAY disc to Unreal 2: The Awakening to install the Expanded Multiplayer. XMP will also be available in the Unreal 2: The Awakening Special Edition along with an enhanced single-player game.
Full install of the Unreal 2 Extended Multiplayer. This requires the Unreal 2 CD.

I really need to be careful here...
Last edited by Smirftsch on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

can't be entirely true, because there is a version of XMP which can be downloaded f.e. from GameFront, which claims:

NOTE: This is not a standalone version of XMP. You require the PLAY disc to Unreal 2: The Awakening to install the Expanded Multiplayer. XMP will also be available in the Unreal 2: The Awakening Special Edition along with an enhanced single-player game.
Full install of the Unreal 2 Extended Multiplayer. This requires the Unreal 2 CD.

I really need to be careful here...
And which is BULLSHIT.

XMP was always standalone. Installer had to verify the presence of Unreal II CD but XMP has its own folder, uses its own resources and that's all.

The protection HAD to be removed because newer systems don't work well with it, among others.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Yeap, that claim is just a placebo to ward off people who don't have Unreal II.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

that makes sense, but doesn't make me feel more comfortable if offering for download. Mmmh.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

that makes sense, but doesn't make me feel more comfortable if offering for download. Mmmh.
Yes, better be cautious because it would be tragic if you had to ban yourself from your own forum for offering warez. ::)
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Dark Wolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dark Wolf »

Yes, better be cautious because it would be tragic if you had to ban yourself from your own forum for offering warez
Probably old but NICE ONE!

Read that and I laughed hard
I am the Alpha wolf the beast that slays the skaarj menace.

Return to “Unreal2 General Forum”