For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[RELEASED] Unreal HD Skins [UT] [227]

URP - the Unreal Retexturing Project: for those who are interested in High-Resolution Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament or may want to take part in creating them

Moderator: ahaigh01

Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Re: [Beta Testing]Unreal HD Skins

Post by Lightning_Hunter »

I always just use .zip since everyone can open it.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

If you have S3TC compressed them, they are already compressed, so don't bother trying to get more.
ZIP is perfect for this.
ACE and RAR only shine if the media data is raw audio and GFX.

I recommend making a magnet link containing various p2p hashes inc. torrent
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

If you have S3TC compressed them, they are already compressed, so don't bother trying to get more.
ZIP is perfect for this.
Oddly enough, the filesize decreased from 630MB to 407MB after zipping...   :o
I recommend making a magnet link containing various p2p hashes inc. torrent
Someone would have to tell me how to do this. I've never messed with torrents.  At this point, I plan to upload the file to Moddb, Mediafire (with a registered account so it doesn't expire), GameFront, and wherever else people recommend.
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

I am uploading the beta very soon, but I wanted to show some updates I did to the Titan skin today. Since the Titan skin was the primary reason I launched this project to begin with, I felt it deserved extra attention. I think it looks even better now than before (at least I hope so):

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/TitanTrench.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/TitanHD2.jpg[/img]
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

The Beta Has been sent to testers via PM.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

You know what I realize? That the biorifle had something forgotten by Epic. Many of early unreal meshes had floating triangles, the stunner, impaler hell even the early asmd/disperionpistol had stuff without firetextures assigned. I realize that the floating triangles inside the biorile were supposed to be with firetextures and probably translucent. This would make it look cooler and on par with the other weapons. Similar thing like they forgot to make the bayonet on the rifle two-sided.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Ok, I need the help of the coders again.  Leo noticed a bug in which actors that have "bhidden" set to true now show up in the game with the mutator enabled.  This is because some of them have a mesh set (at least I think that's the issue).  There must be a simple way to tell the mutator to keep meshes with bhidden = true actually hidden...

All the SpawnNotify code can be seen in the USP thread here:
http://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4010&p=73133#p73133
(once again, sorry for link to another forum, but OldUnreal has a character limit).
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

No, it doesn't affect all actors, there is some actor of unknown origin appearing at location 0,0,0, visible at maps like Eldora. It shows the actor icon. So any map that has playable area in location 0 is affected. Multiple dm maps are affected too from what I saw.

I don't know what this actor is.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

No, it doesn't affect all actors, there is some actor of unknown origin appearing at location 0,0,0, visible at maps like Eldora. It shows the actor icon. So any map that has playable area in location 0 is affected. Multiple dm maps are affected too from what I saw.

I don't know what this actor is.
Hmm, you are right actually.  What you are seeing is in fact LevelInfo appearing in-game as an icon.  I have no clue why the mutator would make this visible.  There is also no mesh set to these actors.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Hey Yrex, check your PM over at UnrealSP.  The gibs are being assigned the wrong skins in Unreal 227i. Maybe your code fixed Oldskool but broke support for Unreal 227 in the process?
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Semantics, but

Oldskool is a major hack and did things it really didn't need to. The fact of the matter is that code works for Oldskool and not Unreal 1. I may remind everyone again that there is exactly 2 changes required in 1 class to get unreal weapons working 100% in UT, but whatever. Oldskool doesn't need to exist, but it's so deeply ingrained in UT now that it's way too late...
Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Semantics, but
Oldskool is a major hack and did things it really didn't need to. The fact of the matter is that code works for Oldskool and not Unreal 1. I may remind everyone again that there is exactly 2 changes required in 1 class to get unreal weapons working 100% in UT, but whatever. Oldskool doesn't need to exist, but it's so deeply ingrained in UT now that it's way too late...
I understand all that completely, but it should actually be pretty easy for Yrex to modify the code so it doesn't interfere with Unreal 227. Oldskool uses a specific class for permanent creature gibs/carcasses that needed its own gib code for this mutator. Everything else works well, so this shouldn't be too much work.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

So, I had completely forgotten about all the fragments with my skin pack. They use the same skins that I have already completed, but I am not sure how to replace the fragments with the current code. The Wooden Fragments seem to work ok since they have a default skin, but if you take a look at the TarydiumBarrel code as an example, it changes the texture of the fragments to texture'JSteelBarrel2'. This gives the fragments the default texture, rather than the high-resolution skins. the default fragment skin is the vase texture, so obviously the usual code will not work here. Does anyone have any ideas on how the mutator can change this?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

So, I had completely forgotten about all the fragments with my skin pack. They use the same skins that I have already completed, but I am not sure how to replace the fragments with the current code. The Wooden Fragments seem to work ok since they have a default skin, but if you take a look at the TarydiumBarrel code as an example, it changes the texture of the fragments to texture'JSteelBarrel2'. This gives the fragments the default texture, rather than the high-resolution skins. the default fragment skin is the vase texture, so obviously the usual code will not work here. Does anyone have any ideas on how the mutator can change this?
Either a replacement tarydium barrel class or some hackery with the tick function....the former being the easier.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Either a replacement tarydium barrel class or some hackery with the tick function....the former being the easier.
I really don't want to replace any classes with this mutator, becasue then it breaks compatibility with other mutators. Maybe Yrex has a solution...
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Does anyone know if this code by Yrex can be applied to the Fragments/chunks? This code was created to fix OlCreatureChunks from displaying the incorrect skin, similar to what is happening with the Fragments. Yrex seems to be gone this weekend (I'm sure he will make a sudden appearance). I just thought maybe another coder could solve this and take the weight off his shoulders. :P

Code: Select all

var Actor PendingActors[64];
var int   PendingActorsCount;

simulated event Actor SpawnNotification(Actor A)
{

if(A.Class.Name == 'olCreatureChunks')
   {
      if(PendingActorsCount
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

*makes a sudden appearance*
My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Haha, you are da man, Yrex. I feel bad making you do all this coding - but this mod wouldn't be the same without you (especially since I am a terrible coder). I think you have done more coding than anyone else at this point, so you will be at the top of the credits list as far as coding is concerned. 8-)

Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

As for the Titan skin:

I think it looks great, but compared to many of the other skin alterations this one feels less like the original skin and more like a new skin altogether. In many ways its too colorful compared to the original one. There have been titan skin changes, slight ones through unreal developement but they mostly consist of tone/color of the skins. This feels like another of those changes in a way.

Otherwise its very detailed and I can see a lot of work has been made into it.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

As for the Titan skin:

I think it looks great, but compared to many of the other skin alterations this one feels less like the original skin and more like a new skin altogether. In many ways its too colorful compared to the original one. There have been titan skin changes, slight ones through unreal developement but they mostly consist of tone/color of the skins. This feels like another of those changes in a way.
I am glad you like the skin in general.  As far as it not looking as faithful as the other remakes, I can desaturate it a bit and modify the color - but to be honest I had to divert a bit from the original with the Titan skin.  The original was so incredibly blurry that I had to air brush everything and manually add detail to each piece of the skin (the Titan skin took weeks to complete).  Going from 256x256 to 4096x4096 is a huge jump, and very difficult to keep a faithful look while adding so much detail.

Also, I think I may have actually sent a slightly outdated version of the skin in my last beta upload.  I noticed that the other night after I had already uploaded it.  I will tweak the colors a bit and see what you think. I will most likely not change that much, because it might mess with the detail I added.
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Alright.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

I think I know why the Titan coloring is hard to match with the original. It's because if you look very very closely, you will see that the entire skin has a greenish/yellowish hue to it; even the orange leather armor has a very slight green tint. I imagine this is due to the 256 color limitation. Indexing the color probably made the colors bleed together, and we are all just used to it. When I airbrushed everything, it made the orange leather stand out more. Although I did not give the whole skin a green hue like the original, I did several hours of tweaks that I think makes the HD Titan look more faithful. I will get a screenshot soon, and send you the updated skin Leo.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Ok, here is a screenshot of the 3rd Titan HD skin.  I know the leather armor is still not quite the same color, but that is because the original armor has much harsher shadows. I think it looks better without those harsh shadows. That being said, I think the skin looks far more faithful, as well as the color of the armor:

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/TitanVersion3.jpg[/img]

Here is version 2 to compare:
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/TitanHD2.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Yes that looks very good. I think you should settle for that.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Ok, well I decided to experiment a bit with harsher shadows on the leather armor.  I kept both versions to see which one people prefer.  The harsher shadows do look more faithful, but does it look better?  I personally can't decide. I could always do a compromise and put moderate shadows that are somewhere between the two of these:

Harsh Shadows:
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/Titan3HarshShadows.jpg[/img]

Normal:
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/TitanVersion3.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Screw it. I went ahead and made a "soft shadow" version of the Titan, which is a compromise of the two versions above. I think this is the final version. It looks pretty close to the original now:

[img]http://funkyimg.com/i/2iHWJ.jpg[/img]

Return to “High-Res Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament”