For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[RELEASED] Unreal HD Skins [UT] [227]

URP - the Unreal Retexturing Project: for those who are interested in High-Resolution Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament or may want to take part in creating them

Moderator: ahaigh01

Carbon
OldUnreal Member

Re: [Beta Testing]Unreal HD Skins

Post by Carbon »

Man, that is great news! Congrats on the pending release and thanks for all of your work.

We have all been watching this thread over the long time it has been developing...really exciting news!
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

Yea, thank you guys for deliverin' such a big pack of pure fun.
Can't wait to see them HD skaarj runnin' 'round.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Yea, thank you guys for deliverin' such a big pack of pure fun.
Can't wait to see them HD skaarj runnin' 'round.
Just a side note, but you guys realize that HD is originally for wide-screens only, right? The term HD skins here is a little bit misapplied. I guess you can blame games like Serious Sam HD to invent this confusion.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Post by Lightning_Hunter »

Yeah, I personally always used the term "high-res", but people seem to respond better to "HD", which is why I started calling this Unreal HD.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

You can't expect wiktionary to provide technical details. However it is what it is and in practice this is wide-screen resolutions. And often it's all misleading.
unreality
OldUnreal Member

Post by unreality »

what will happen hud, HD hud?.
subzer0
OldUnreal Member

Post by subzer0 »

HD hud is unnecessary imo.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

There are no plans for a new HUD at this time.  The HUD gets smaller as the resolution increases anyway, so it does not appear blurry.  The old skins on the other hand get blurry as you walk close to them.

Of course, if someone out there wants to make a new HUD and write new code to replace it, I would be happy to include it in a future patch as long as I felt it fit the game.  Personally, I would prefer someone step up and complete the player skins instead, which I also have no plans to do at this time.
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

The public release has in fact been uploaded to Moddb, but for whatever reason they are taking their time authorizing the file for download. I uploaded it last night and did not expect them to take longer than 24 hours... I don't want to use other sites just yet, because I want everything to be in sync. I consider Moddb to be the home of this project, so I would prefer people download it from there. If Monday comes around and there is still no authorization, I will put up a temporary download link to Mediafire.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Alright. I myself noticed they sometimes take a long time. I don't like putting stuff up there unless necesary in general or when something major pops up. For the UPSX Rework Episode 1 Full or Patch/2nd Half Episode 1 release I will release it on all the forums it was posted on. And moddb, but it won't be the primary place. The main download link will be unrealtexture.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Alright. I myself noticed they sometimes take a long time. I don't like putting stuff up there unless necesary in general or when something major pops up. For the UPSX Rework Episode 1 Full or Patch/2nd Half Episode 1 release I will release it on all the forums it was posted on. And moddb, but it won't be the primary place. The main download link will be unrealtexture.
I'm considering doing that, because they still haven't authorized the file... I only planned on using Moddb as the main page because I put a lot of work in to it. However, if this is how long they take, then count me out of future plans to use them for anything!
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Re: [RELEASED] Unreal HD Skins [UT] [227]

Released! Check the first post.
unreality
OldUnreal Member

Post by unreality »

Released!  Check the first post.
:D :D :D :D Thank you, this is great.
Last edited by unreality on Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Just to clear out any confusion, I don't need to re-download, right? Because the last test version was intended to go public if no bugs were found. And congrats for the release.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Just to clear out any confusion, I don't need to re-download, right? Because the last test version was intended to go public if no bugs were found. And congrats for the release.
Correct. 8-)
lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Post by lowenz »

Masterpiece release!
The task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen, but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees - E.S.
Mahem
OldUnreal Member

Post by Mahem »

Great job really looks good!
Please work on version 2 with Hi Res players.
All the dead bodies in the first few game levels look so incomplete in comparison to the work you've done on the monsters.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Great job really looks good!
Please work on version 2 with Hi Res players.
All the dead bodies in the first few game levels look so incomplete in comparison to the work you've done on the monsters.
I'm aware of that, but the player skins are lot of work - and I am burned out after doing 150+ skins.  Honestly, I might have completed them had anybody stepped in to help me with skinning this project (minus the skins Ahaigh had already completed before this project started).  I asked for help months ago, and nobody responded (except for J-Rts, who sent one Flak Cannon skin that I heavily modified, then disappeared). I don't have any plans to work on more skins at this time, but anyone is welcome to work on the player skins and send them to me.  I can include them in the pack and officially release them if that ever happens.  I would even do all the importing and add them to the mutator.
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

I would love to help with the skins, but I'm not sure if my Photoshop skills would have been good enough. :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

I would love to help with the skins, but I'm not sure if my Photoshop skills would have been good enough. :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/
My skills were basically rubbish when I first started messing with textures/skins years ago. I did not learn much from other people.  I just messed with stuff in Photoshop and looked up a few minor tutorials.  It just takes some practice and learning. 

There was a decent improvement from my first few skins to my last few skins in the HD pack.  In fact, I had to go back and improve the first skins once I was finished.  My primary method using Photoshop is to use the lasso tool to outline and create new layers of each part of the skin.  Then, I kind of use the airbrush to manually rework and blend the colors of each layer created (to remove pixelation).  After the layer is touched up, I remove the old shadows/highlights and add them back from scratch (to sharpen them).  The Photoshop layer effects can do this automatically for you in most cases (although I do sometimes add them manually).  Finally, I apply a detail texture to the finalized the layer.  It takes a lot of patience with this method, but I used it for just about every skin.

To be honest, I did not consider myself a graphic artist when I started this pack, nor do I consider myself one now.   ;D
I guess I was just patient and willing to try, and it seemed to work out ok.  I am surprised about getting such good reviews on Moddb (and from the beta testers).  People on the Unreal forums are pretty silent though, which is surprising.  I thought I would get more comments here than on Moddb.  :-?
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

I'm glad this project is coming true and it looks great, but I have a major problem:

It does not work online and even offline it is disabled by default.
I would love to see an universal solution.
Last edited by Hyper on Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

I'm glad this project is coming true and it looks great, but I have a major problem:

It does not work online and even offline it is disabled by default.
First of all, I already stated in several places that there is no online support with the official release.  However, Bleeder and Shivaxi have created a file that is supposed to fix this, but I have not tested it yet:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wu1dvki7uj17g ... FIX.u?dl=1

Second, I am going to need way more details about why it is not working for you offline.  What do you mean it is disabled by default?  Did you add the mutator?  Did you enable S3TC textures?  Did you follow all instructions in the readme file?  Are there any error messages?  Help me out here rather than scaring everybody with huge font and making them believe this is some terrible release.  All my beta testers found no problems offline.  You really need to take your time and look things over before you smear these massive warnings on the forums...
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

i tried to run it online with the fix , it seems without thinking of it much or looking at any code ,
Its a server>clientside hack to make it work. running mod on server , and running fix mod on server , and letting hdskins get sent and downloaded (275mb compressed?!!) will result in a client crash every time.

Taking skin mod out and running only fix mod results in a client spawn notify crash.so any user withot the mod installed with probably crash on join, not to metion if they dont support s3tc, they are probably extra screwed.or the people that download the gaint 260mb texture file that will crash them.

The only thing that worked for me is to install the mod on your client, then the then let the server fix spawn on your client and that load the file locally.-

this leads me to belive its basicly spawning compleytly clientside , and maybe would be possible to spawn the mutator client side as if it was say - "a hack", f.e. mod menu or spawned by hook/console, that could make a univerel non-server implemenation.

in my testing it "seems" to work on a server - up to a point, my server has more custom models and such , so its not as apparent , but boxes and some carcass models seen to by in detail like expected , not 1st person models tho, and not every stock creature, its inconsistent in general. also odd things , since s3tc replaces bsp based boxes then your mod replaces small model based boxed with a completly differnt texture.
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Post by dustinechoes849 »

Looks great :D

Return to “High-Res Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament”