For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Completed Unreal High Res Textures now available

URP - the Unreal Retexturing Project: for those who are interested in High-Resolution Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament or may want to take part in creating them

Moderator: ahaigh01

rdy2bz
OldUnreal Member

Re: Completed Unreal High Res Textures now available

Post by rdy2bz »

Some more things that could be improved:
- the galaxies in the night sky don't blend into the star background like the other objects.

Here are two screenshots from DM-SpaceNoxx
https://imgur.com/tgkg18R
https://imgur.com/NmbuQBu
alone alive again
Buster
Global Moderator

Post by Buster »

Seeing the faint outline of the edge of the galaxy's texture is fixable with a tweaking of its placement, angel of tilt, and the lighting. Maybe not completely flawless, but less noticable by the players that are NOT standing still and zoomed in.
Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
:-)_~
Mahem
OldUnreal Member

Post by Mahem »

There is an error in HD textures 3.0 Ancient.utx
I get this in log when I open EhactoraThree.unr from the console of 227I.
Map is from TheFifthVortex.zip

Log: Failed import: Palette Palette Ancient.Palette2 (file ..\Textures\Ancient.utx)
Warning: Failed to load 'ehactorathree': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette Ancient.Palette2'
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette Ancient.Palette2'

Map plays fine with std, hd, or ext version 2.03 ancient.utx file.
Mahem
OldUnreal Member

Post by Mahem »

227I reports a missing palette in genfluid.utx HD v3.0
Map loads OK with genfluid.utx v2.03
Map is from cmsv12.zip a 13 map pack.
Most of the maps use the failing texture.

Log: Failed import: Palette Palette genfluid.Palette101 (file ..\Textures\GenFluid.utx)
Warning: Failed to load 'CMS': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette genfluid.Palette101'
Warning: Failed to load 'D:\UnrealGold\Maps\CMSCave.unr': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette genfluid.Palette101'
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette genfluid.Palette101'
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Failed to enter D:\UnrealGold\Maps\CMSCave.unr: Can't find Palette in file 'Palette genfluid.Palette101'
Mahem
OldUnreal Member

Post by Mahem »

There is an error in HD v3.0 SpaceFx.utx
HD v2.03 is fine.

Log: Failed import: Palette Palette SpaceFX.Palette8 (file ..\Textures\SpaceFX.utx)
Warning: Failed to load 'D:\UnrealGold\Maps\FLPinterintro.unr': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette SpaceFX.Palette8'
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette SpaceFX.Palette8'
Critical: Failed to enter D:\UnrealGold\Maps\FLPinterintro.unr: Can't find Palette in file 'Palette SpaceFX.Palette8'
Mahem
OldUnreal Member

Post by Mahem »

I am finding these errors by loading maps in 227I.
I still have a few more maps to check out.
Is there a better way to verify missing palettes?
I'm wondering about textures not in use by my map collection.
Is anyone else encountering these errors?

Three more missing palettes found by 227I in HD v3.0 (HD v2.03 is ok):
Nalicast.utx
GenEarth.utx
Starship.utx

Log: Failed import: Palette Palette NaliCast.Palette5 (file ..\Textures\NaliCast.utx)
Warning: Failed to load 'D:\UnrealGold\Maps\ThePurpleChurch.unr': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette NaliCast.Palette5'
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette NaliCast.Palette5'
Critical: Failed to enter D:\UnrealGold\Maps\ThePurpleChurch.unr: Can't find Palette in file 'Palette NaliCast.Palette5'

Log: Failed import: Palette Palette GenEarth.Dirt2f (file ..\Textures\GenEarth.utx)
Warning: Failed to load 'D:\UnrealGold\Maps\ThePurpleChurch.unr': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette GenEarth.Dirt2f'
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette GenEarth.Dirt2f'
Critical: Failed to enter D:\UnrealGold\Maps\ThePurpleChurch.unr: Can't find Palette in file 'Palette GenEarth.Dirt2f'

Log: Failed import: Palette Palette Starship.Palette10 (file ..\Textures\Starship.utx)
Warning: Failed to load 'sptex': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette Starship.Palette10'
Warning: Failed to load 'ScriptedTextures': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette Starship.Palette10'
Warning: Failed to load 'D:\UnrealGold\Maps\WinterHaven.unr': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette Starship.Palette10'
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette Starship.Palette10'
Critical: Failed to enter D:\UnrealGold\Maps\WinterHaven.unr: Can't find Palette in file 'Palette Starship.Palette10'
Last edited by Mahem on Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

Mahem,

I confirmed the same error in v3 in EhactoraThree.unr. Can you send me or tell me where to find:
WinterHaven.unr
FLPinterintro.unr
ThePurpleChurch.unr
CMSCave.unr

I used a different merger process in v3 from v2 but never saw these errors. Seems to be all custom maps.
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

Give this version a try. I believe it is working now.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/xx6w1afu ... 4.zip/file
Mahem
OldUnreal Member

Post by Mahem »

Confirmed, problem solved for the maps in question.
Fast work, good job.
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

Thanks for spotting those problems!
The Darkness
OldUnreal Member

Post by The Darkness »

UT looks rather strange with those textures. Not because the textures are bad, but because at such high detail levels it becomes similar to Uncanny Valley.

There is so much detail and shadows, but it's all static and doesn't reflect the lighting conditions of the environment around it.
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

Yes, that's just how it is adding HD textures to such an old engine. But there are quite a few new features on the DX11 renderer that move things closer to being modern...
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

now you need only normal maps yet to support (real) bumpmapping (actually normal maps) in 227j's XOpenGL.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
The Darkness
OldUnreal Member

Post by The Darkness »

The detail textures are just too much high frequency detail. In real life no surface is perfectly smooth, but in unreal they overdid it with just too much fine grain detail.
Carbon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Carbon »

Well, the hard work on this project is certainly appreciated. Quite stunning!

A lot of things look amazing and improved indeed but it seems that with the DX11 rendering it looks like much of the world is laminated. I guess this is modernizing a game - to make reflective surfaces everywhere - but when huge boulders are reflective...well, it looks odd.

But hey, lots of pretty darn sweet things going on as well, so thank you.

EDIT: Well, after some tweaking, I found that the SSR settings can be altered to remove some of that clear sheen (lower "SSRIntensity") and the HDR can be altered to get rid of the strong bloom (lower "HDRLuminance") and yeah...much better. Hope I don't sound unappreciative because as I said in my OP...it really looks great overall. :) Thanks again!
Last edited by Carbon on Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

Hey Carbon,
Thanks for appreciating the project. :) I agree the SSR can look too strong on the default settings. I don't go much above 0.1 or 0.2 for the SSRIntensity and maybe a bit higher for SSRModelIntensity.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

I'm sorry to say but in my humble opinion, this project is a long way off from completion yet.

Let's start with the stock packages. Castle1.utx isn't done. While it is mostly unused, modified versions of it (like Castle1RYS with detail textures added) are used in some mods. The full package is in RTNP, whereas a stripped down version with just a few tex's is in UT.

Second, I'd like to kindly ask you to consider supporting more mods. I see ChaosUT textures (Jezztex) being supported so why not more? I'm particularly interested in things like ONP, Xidia, 7B, Zephon and the like. There's many mods that could use your treatment.

Nowadays, U1 and UT99 are both chockful of custom content and it would be nice if a project like this one supported them as well.

Thank you kindly for considering.
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

Castle1.utx - In a very early release of my HD pack I had it in there. I removed it from the newer packs because it wasn't very good. I feel like those textures are so 'beta' looking anyway that they should probably stay original. Any mapper that is using them is probably going for a mid-90s vibe. That's just my opinion.

Those SP mods you mentioned are planned to be done 8-) They will be separate packs.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

Castle1.utx - In a very early release of my HD pack I had it in there. I removed it from the  newer packs because it wasn't very good.  I feel like those textures are so 'beta' looking anyway that they should probably stay original.  Any mapper that is using them is probably going for a mid-90s vibe.  That's just my opinion.

Those SP mods you mentioned are planned to be done 8-)  They will be separate packs.
Maybe a separate release of Castle1 would do nicely on my request? Thank you very much for considering!

Return to “High-Res Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament”