For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Can anyone help me get UT99 working? Patch not working. Not tech savvy at all

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

Bleda

Can anyone help me get UT99 working? Patch not working. Not tech savvy at all

Post by Bleda »

So UT99 worked fine on an old laptop I had between 2007-2014. But once I got a new high end laptop in 2014 it stopped working and I quickly gave up in frustration
as I am not tech/computer savvy at all.

The other night though, with the help of a friend, I downloaded the patch from the OldUnreal website and installed it. I tweaked all the graphic and control settings to my liking and everything looked and felt amazing. I played for about 30 min without any technical issues whatsoever but then suddenly while playing the Overlord Assault map while down in the underground parts of the map the game froze for 2-3 seconds and then suddenly my laptop turned off.

I was so shocked and stared in disbelief at the blank black screen. Never in the 8 years that I have had my current laptop has it ever shut down by itself like that.

I really hope this game and the OldUnreal patch didn't damage my computer.

Anyways, I turn my computer back on and launched UT99 from Steam (I bought the game back in 2013 from the platform), started a new match, but to my horror was not
able to get past the "click fire to start screen" once you get in the match. Enraged, I furiously pressed every button on my keyboard and vigorously clicked the left and right mouse buttons, but nothing worked. I then tried a tournament campaign, same issue; and then tried all the match types, same issue.

Can someone please be as kind to give me a step by step explanation on what I need to do to fix this and get UT99 working? I am not tech/computer savvy at all so I need to be told in the most literal/descriptive terms on what to do using only basic laymen terms (terminology and abbreviations overwhelm and confuse me). Maybe one way to ensure newer players get into Unreal franchise is to have easy to follow and comprehensive step by step instructions on how to implement the patches presented in an organized and professional looking fashion on this website.

And yes, other video games on my computer still work. For example, I tried out Unreal Gold and it works just fine.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Can anyone help me get UT99 working? Patch not working. Not tech savvy at all

Post by Hellkeeper »

First, be assured neither UT nor OldUnreal's patch hurt your computer. Even it shutting down by itself is no threat, just the sign of a major dysfunction. This can happen when a machine overheats, but I have a hard time believing UT would overheat a machine form 2014.
There is usually nothing special to do when installing UT or the patch to get it into working order. It's as simple as it can be. It should also run everywhere so no reason for it not to work on your machine if it did run on the previous one.

In order to get a little more information, could you provide us with the log of UT? It should be located in the game's directory under /System/, with the name Unrealtournament.log. With steam, I guess it should be in the Steam directory under steamapps/Common/UnrealTournament/System
If anything it should give us a hint.
You must construct additional pylons.
Bleda

Re: Can anyone help me get UT99 working? Patch not working. Not tech savvy at all

Post by Bleda »

Hellkeeper wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:35 am First, be assured neither UT nor OldUnreal's patch hurt your computer. Even it shutting down by itself is no threat, just the sign of a major dysfunction. This can happen when a machine overheats, but I have a hard time believing UT would overheat a machine form 2014.
There is usually nothing special to do when installing UT or the patch to get it into working order. It's as simple as it can be. It should also run everywhere so no reason for it not to work on your machine if it did run on the previous one.

In order to get a little more information, could you provide us with the log of UT? It should be located in the game's directory under /System/, with the name Unrealtournament.log. With steam, I guess it should be in the Steam directory under steamapps/Common/UnrealTournament/System
If anything it should give us a hint.
Thanks for the response, but I actually was able to figure out how to get the game working. What do you mean by your quote "Even it shutting down by itself is no threat, just the sign of a major dysfunction."? What are you trying to say?
vbdasc
OldUnreal Member

Post by vbdasc »

Your machine might have a hardware issue (overheating CPU/GPU, inadequate power supply etc.), or a problem with the graphic drivers. Or it could be an one-time freak incident. Such things can be hard to track down. For now, continue playing, and if the same thing happens again, then you should devise some plan to find the reasons for it.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Bleda wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:36 amWhat do you mean by your quote "Even it shutting down by itself is no threat, just the sign of a major dysfunction."? What are you trying to say?
I meant that long gone are the days when you ran the risk of having your computer actually break. It's a bother and must be fixed but no reason for alarm.

Glad you were able to sort it out.
You must construct additional pylons.

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”