For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Steele Dawn - the Lost Expansion pack - uncovered

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Steele Dawn - the Lost Expansion pack - uncovered

Post by Leo T_C_K »

GamesHarder contacted Boltjes himself and that unfinished/ptototype dm town map is not by him (unless he can't remember). Remember that they were looking often for people to make the map, I believe Botljes wasn't even decided on when they finished the website so they probably had another guy try to make the map. I'd still think that there should also be a DmFlux version with the SD weaponry avaiable too, as it seemed to have been made in mind (originally) for SD.

That's the thing about developement in those times, it didn't exactly follow planned schedules always, there was sometimes improvisation and remember they were even looking to replace steve farrow as he left early on the project after working on the second map for a bit.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

As for Flux, an update of its inventory to have some of the SD content will take place.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Victor Delacroix wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:01 am As for Flux, an update of its inventory to have some of the SD content will take place.
that's good, I usually summoned more weapons to make the map more interesting in dm when playing myself alone

I placed one in the lower areas I believe and another one on a separate ledge/balcony. And the shotgun in the tight corridors I believe.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Latest News:

- AlCapowned has delivered the remake of the lost reptilian creature that Leo has previously referred to as "proto-Predator". This "Ravager" is now added to the bestiary.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Great. Will you post screenshots? Also I might be hitting the road soon, lots of things were happening at once now. So excuse my absence if that's so.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:12 pm Great. Will you post screenshots? Also I might be hitting the road soon, lots of things were happening at once now. So excuse my absence if that's so.
No. I'd like to keep it under wraps for now ;-)
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Victor Delacroix wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:32 pm
Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:12 pm Great. Will you post screenshots? Also I might be hitting the road soon, lots of things were happening at once now. So excuse my absence if that's so.
No. I'd like to keep it under wraps for now ;-)
*confused travolta*

there was pulp fiction on tv a couple of days ago, didn't have it with sound on because it was on a channel you can't switch audio to original anyways. I wish something else but state television would keep that option but all the commercial channels don't. Either way television is the least of my concerns now.

The other inhabitants(renters) of the other place didn't want to have us sharing a hall with them so that plan of trying to switch place didn't work out (it has toilets in the hall as opposed to inside the rooms, separate toilets so I don't see what the problem is, if there was a single toilet i'd understand but of course no ACCESS DENIED, FORCEFIELD DEACTIVATED on a toilet....wahh sorry), so I'm still back where i was...
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

SO I finally had chance to test some of the community edition of steele dawn. I won't go into details because I was asked not to. Well, what I played some of it was needlessly complicated, other stuff like lavaplant was mostly great with new additions (but being relatively minimal/sense making). I only played until mountain stronghold. I will be sending pm to delacroix for more details.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

While we are still not entirely ready for the private co-op beta test yet (I promise you, it won't be long), here's four shots showcasing SD.

The Beta milestone is almost there.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Perhaps you can still use Rikia's skin in a map or two, I mean papercoffee's version is not just an improvement, it is a complete redesign when it comes to the clothes and they feel more like punks than pirates to me afterwards. The pawn itself is absolutely great though.

But I don't know what to think of that vandora-like pawn, it looks bizarre and also is that cutscene or is that some space battle thing? What is going on in there?

I feel like this might be going out of the scope a little honestly.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

I'll include Rikia's skin as a summonable easter egg.

The "vandora-like pawn" is the female Nali. Whenever Nali were on-screen, it was always a sausage-fest, so I opted to include some Nali girls.

Nothing is out of scope. Only logical inclusions. The "space battle thing" is a logical bridge between level 7 (Planet Head) and level 8 (Jolly Roger).

We're coming to a close here. I'll have to ask Yrex for a report but I honestly think we're looking at an April release here.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Thanks, that would be preferable to have an optional class with that skin.

as for the rest:

Suuuure well whatever you say mister tiger.

(its just this particular look of female nali, rather than a hybrid or something more closer to a human, is a little surprising/strange, especially when compared to turboman's versions or the stuff described in books - which i indirectly got inspired for the nude psxnali to - where they had little visual differences between the two sexes)

I mean you could have tried to like bridge the gap between the mythos, like there was a dropped backstory for unreal we never got to see like there was supposed to be explanation why the architecture between na pali and earth and its mythos are similar, I believe this idea later got transformed into the dranoel backstory in the novels, but it was not explicit anymore. But the big magazine previews hinted at that while didn't want to give everything away. There was going to be an in-universe explanation just like star trek/stargate had. Iirc one of the previews for unreal said so.

But I suppose since you are firmly setting it in our solar system instead of na pali's (it was after all, once the plan, but like many things during developement that changed, but forgot which was first honestly). It could be the reason why the nali look more human there in the first place. Just don't know if you're going to try to explain it explicitly or not.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

I actually have a grander design in place to bridge this with the Na Pali Nali as we currently know them (to which the female Turboman designed fits instead), but this particular campaign is too compact to explain it. I may spoil it to you in PM instead.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

OK then. Btw check the cafe na pali thread. Its a real blast from the past and I finally found back that unreal 2d website through it. The original lost 1999 mod one. I remember when I played the 2005 unreal2d online with dots/xavious etc and told them there used to be unreal 2d before this, I often got looks like "never heard of it" "must be making it up or something"...

well here you go, I told you guys. That was the original one. If only one of those mirrors still worked. Curse it really. The around 2000 era was really damaging to unreal coimmunity with all those major sites closing and then a lot of people not knowing about half the mods in existance or preserving them past that year.

So...just like with the quadshot...anything else that comes after the 1996 one is heresy.....guarded by the quadshot god. Maybe this is the case of Unreal2DGOD!

Will he punish the infidels that tried to make new unreal2d mods after this original one?

lol

edit: the tragedy is that the unreal2d had a 224+ version in the end too, so it can't be shrugged off with "ah its for those outdated versions, not keeping this" like happened with many other mods.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Another couple shots.

Our osX BC desktop:

Level 3: River Ruins with the final skybox:

Level 5: Mountain Stronghold with the final skybox:

Level 7: Planet Head

Level 8: Jolly Roger... talk about dependable allies, am I right?

A bunch of inhabitants of the Ruins out in the open. You'll find out what they're doing, on release.

This will most likely be the final batch of promotional screenshots prior to wrapping this up.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Victor Delacroix wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:06 pm

A bunch of inhabitants of the Ruins out in the open. You'll find out what they're doing, on release.

This will most likely be the final batch of promotional screenshots prior to wrapping this up.
I know what they're doing. They are prepping to shoot the future Indiana Jones movie "The Revenge of the Nali Sufragettes!"

:P
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

The beta-tests have begun. A coop session will be organized in the next couple days.

It's happening.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Thanks to Delacroix, I got the beta version to test it and I made some new comparison shots of it.
I mostly compared those places which have been updated and sorted them like: Original Screenshot - Recovered Alpha - Beta Version 1

Planet Head map:
► Show Spoiler
River Ruins map:
► Show Spoiler
StarPort/Communications Center map:
► Show Spoiler
The Jolly Roger map:
► Show Spoiler
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

PSA: We're only two small bugs away from Beta 2 and a coop test will happen in the upcoming days. I apologize for the delay. However, if the coop test does not yield any serious problems, May is it for Unreal: Steele Dawn. Please stay tuned for further announcements.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Steele Dawn is now released.

Downloads:

Download @ Pixeldrain
(more mirrors coming up)

Installation:

1. Extract to Unreal or UT folder.
2. Music files are most likely going to repeat - stock ones from Unreal or UT, if you already have them. Skip everything.
3. Move maps from MapsDMU1 or MapsDMUT into the Maps folder (depending on the game).
4. Move files from SystemUT into your System folder if running UT99.
5. Play!
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

https://pixeldrain.com/u/LDLZ9woE

SteeleDawnGUI hotfix for UT.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

You could have waited a couple days now that I finally have things set and going, I was going to try the last test version very soon.
eGo
OldUnreal Member

Post by eGo »

Needs more fixing :D

In SteeleDawnGUI.int the map "SD0_Intro_B2" doesn't exist.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

eGo wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:19 am Needs more fixing :D

In SteeleDawnGUI.int the map "SD0_Intro_B2" doesn't exist.
that's beta2 prefix. I suppose you could change it to the normal map instead

I don't know why the hurry in release really. I was waiting for like a week until the files can be transfered from machine to machine as our setup is a bit unusual to say the least (and i can't hook up the old windows laptop to the network). And then instead the release happens.

Ah well I get it, its the Unreal's release date today so he wanted it out now.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

"I don't know why the hurry in release"... check the date. Check the date and understand its impact.

And yes, it's indeed Unreal's anniversary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”