For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Post by Gamesharder »

I also wonder if Villa was ever part of an SP map.
Seems like it would make a really good SP level instead of DM.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Villa2 in particular would, that's true, with the extended part and that cross (where shieldbelt was iirc).

But I never saw it myself as being part of SP unfortunately, however its possible myscha reused few brushes from some of his cut maps again. Like he did with ceremony/chizra, bluff in the release version etc.

I do remember playing Villa briefly in the beta I played in 1998, but due to bots killing me all the time I couldn't explore much or enjoy it.

One thing that wasn't there was Elsinore though and especially that's why I think Mountain Fortress was originally that (but changed a little, however the layout still corresponds and especially those traps i remember, if you move certain things around it does match up more or less).

It has all the elements, like water etc to emerge from mountain/rock into..though a lot of it was probably more underground.
JusticeUnreal

Post by JusticeUnreal »

Wow. I've seen most of these beta and pre-release Unreal leaks, but I've never seen all of them coming altogether like here. Actually, are there any people except me who was trying to rebuild Unreal 1 beta maps (the ones from 97-98 leak) to get the whole picture of how exactly the game could look like?

I've been working on the maps for 7 months now, and still trying to find a solution for the old "Hub" maps (e.g. first Hub map from 97-98 beta, NyLeve, had about 3 paths to 3 different levels, and 2 of them were ending up moving you to the Hub again, triggering one of two events to "open" the third path). The problem is in map system itself. The map just couldn't save its previous progress, and if you complete one of 3 maps (most of Hub levels had 3 paths), you just get into an infinite loop, you can proceed to the final part only using 'ghost' command or switching the map manually.

But I'm not worrying since I almost finished collecting all possible textures and music from beta builds, and of course, my list of beta maps and how they should be sorted chronologically. It isn't that much, but still it is something helpful. And all thanks to the Unreal community, and those who collected as much information about Unreal Beta as possible! Great job, guys!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

JusticeUnreal wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:23 pm Wow. I've seen most of these beta and pre-release Unreal leaks, but I've never seen all of them coming altogether like here. Actually, are there any people except me who was trying to rebuild Unreal 1 beta maps (the ones from 97-98 leak) to get the whole picture of how exactly the game could look like?

I've been working on the maps for 7 months now, and still trying to find a solution for the old "Hub" maps (e.g. first Hub map from 97-98 beta, NyLeve, had about 3 paths to 3 different levels, and 2 of them were ending up moving you to the Hub again, triggering one of two events to "open" the third path). The problem is in map system itself. The map just couldn't save its previous progress, and if you complete one of 3 maps (most of Hub levels had 3 paths), you just get into an infinite loop, you can proceed to the final part only using 'ghost' command or switching the map manually.

But I'm not worrying since I almost finished collecting all possible textures and music from beta builds, and of course, my list of beta maps and how they should be sorted chronologically. It isn't that much, but still it is something helpful. And all thanks to the Unreal community, and those who collected as much information about Unreal Beta as possible! Great job, guys!
At the time of the beta (december 1997 codebase/engine, despite january/february in content) they didn't have the hub system operational yet but they did implement it in the following month fully and it still is a leftover in the released game.

see here:
viewtopic.php?f=49&p=100188#p100188

additionaly there are tricks on how to fake hub progression and preserve it for coop, namely dots' beta had special myleveled actors that would move the playerstart or place additional trigger at the specific exit etc. But that didn't preserve dead bodies and stuff only the "real hub system" did. Additionaly there was a different hub system implemented in missing builds from early 1997 and so. Though it was all a bit experimental from what I heard from the developers.
They had a mainmap system implemented at least partially at some point that corresponds to the Unreal Bible version. And some lobbies later and what not.
JusticeUnreal

Post by JusticeUnreal »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:28 pm At the time of the beta (december 1997 codebase/engine, despite january/february in content) they didn't have the hub system operational yet but they did implement it in the following month fully and it still is a leftover in the released game.

see here:

additionaly there are tricks on how to fake hub progression and preserve it for coop, namely dots' beta had special myleveled actors that would move the playerstart or place additional trigger at the specific exit etc. But that didn't preserve dead bodies and stuff only the "real hub system" did. Additionaly there was a different hub system implemented in missing builds from early 1997 and so. Though it was all a bit experimental from what I heard from the developers.
They had a mainmap system implemented at least partially at some point that corresponds to the Unreal Bible version. And some lobbies later and what not.
Hm, I see now. I think Epic decided to completely reject hub system after a few unsuccessful attempts, and it may be a bad idea to duplicate the hub map to make an effect of saved progress. Deus Ex had a perfect level progress system, and it would be really great to achieve the same thing in Unreal. But it won't be that easy. I still have a lot of options to try. And thanks for the info!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

JusticeUnreal wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:14 pm
Leo T_C_K wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:28 pm At the time of the beta (december 1997 codebase/engine, despite january/february in content) they didn't have the hub system operational yet but they did implement it in the following month fully and it still is a leftover in the released game.

see here:

Hm, I see now. I think Epic decided to completely reject hub system after a few unsuccessful attempts, and it may be a bad idea to duplicate the hub map to make an effect of saved progress. Deus Ex had a perfect level progress system, and it would be really great to achieve the same thing in Unreal. But it won't be that easy. I still have a lot of options to try. And thanks for the info!
You can still do it based on this:

https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3566

all you have to do is edit the teleporters urls and instead of peer use push (saves) and pop (loads)

It has a limited use in the release version but still it can be done. There was UT mod called Legacy that used a working hub system also.
JusticeUnreal

Post by JusticeUnreal »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:17 pm
You can still do it based on this:

https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3566

all you have to do is edit the teleporters urls and instead of peer use push (saves) and pop (loads)

It has a limited use in the release version but still it can be done. There was UT mod called Legacy that used a working hub system also.
Sure, I will give it a try.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

New stuff recently:

Alpha (1996-1997) folder:
-found a new picture of the swamp castle themed map, cropped it from a magazine
(I couldn't find a better scanned version)

Beta (1997-1998) folder:
-updated some screenshots / uploaded a different version of them

(updated by Yrex)

Magazines, Articles folder:
-a new page in Unknown Dates

-a new page in 1999

-new pages in 1998 (13 new)

-new pages in 1997 (6 new)

-new pages in 1996 (8 new)
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

cool find

never saw that picture before indeed
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Lovely ❤
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Looking through the magazines, I was wondering why they decided to delete some pickups on ISV Deck 1
I mean, look at this

What's up with the amount of items in this room?
Rocket cans, lots of health & some bandages, maybe some ASMD cores
Strange

Also, in the trailer, there's an additional box at the end

Could have been a jump boots, if you wanted to jump outta there
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

It could be jumpboots only if the mover didn't return back to its position up there and it does that in the release version so once it closes you can't even jump out...

btw did you get to scan the gw press guide full yet or not?
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

No, I didn't yet
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I went over more magazines...most notably some interesting articles about Unreal II and how there are many articles from early 2002 that still describe the Shians as fully functioning...then it was all cut down further and went to hell with Mike Verdu leaving...like Justice League kind of situation...

Either way also earlier interesting preview from pc gamer with cliff in it as well responding to "HOW IS BABBY SKAARJ FORMED" kind of question from PC Gamer 088, autumn 2001 I believe...go check it out. That was still when you could make temporary alliances, even with the Skaarj at one particular point.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:18 pm No, I didn't yet
Let me know when you will/can do it. Though you already took screenshots of some of the stuff previously but I guess you want to upload the whole thing at once.

Either way as for pc gamer goes, november 2000 is another interesting one as it has a goty preview and also in another section a short interview with cliff, where he mentions Unreal Warfare already, except not by name, but says that their next game is about War explicitly.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Interesting things about Unreal II, indeed.
Thanks for sharing!

As for the strategy guide; soon.
Things came up and couldn't have time to bring it to the scanning place I wanted to.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

I wanted to mention that the Strategy Guide says that Serpent Canyon had a sequence of a ghost Nali going to its tombstone and also a Skaarj Trooper with rifle in the main game on Mothership Core

ImageImage
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

That makes sense. So the Bluff wasn't the only one having nali ghost after all.

That grave seemed to always have more importance and well while the beta didn't have a message on the tombstone, it still makes sense.

Also it could be an actual skaarjsniper in extremecore, we don't know. The guy who wrote it probably wasn't too familiar with the class differences.

Then again the Sniper class might have been created only at the last moment as the rifle was assault rifle and not sniper rifle initially...
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

lol unreal release date May 1997...

https://ia800707.us.archive.org/BookRea ... 4&rotate=0

yea..that almost happened..then test audiences failure and they decided to do a soft reboot instead and start everything but textures and some models almost from scratch...

edit:

https://ia800507.us.archive.org/BookRea ... 4&rotate=0

more mention of unreal level editor properly released lol
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Exciting news.
A new UT99 beta version just surfaced, more info about it soon.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I saw that the GW Press guide was uploaded on archive.org (finally). I assume this is your scan, but you probably didn't have time to make a post about it yet, right?

NyLeve had a Slith too? lol
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I am not reading absolutely everything, but Harobed has something interesting:

Look up and fire your Eightball Gun at the crossbeams overhead to drop the Super Health Pack down to you.

So...there were movers you could destroy that would drop superhealth down...inside the well.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

It's not my scan...
I would have made a post about it here, but mine is just being scanned, so... that's very unlucky (for me ofc)
But there you go, you can now go through the whole thing.
I'm planning to list the things that are different/interesting sorted by maps from the guidebook but idk, this made me a little "mad" lol
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

You can still post your scan, perhaps if its of different quality etc, you can post it elsewhere or on dropbox etc. So that it isn't a work in vain.

But yea its as if someone did this on purpose given the announcements and everything.

I'm starting to notice certain patterns of some people wanting the "glory" for themselves.

And how can you know that someone from that store didn't have someone who sent this scan to some person, perhaps they have people looking for interesting things/books being scanned. I wouldn't put this beyond the realm of possibilities.

Maybe that overarching account did acquire it via the backdoor of this store. Maybe, if they have it publically acessible via network somehow, it could have been gotten through there. I mean how do you know all those scans and everything end up on archive.org? Not all of it is any way honorable.

I find the timing extremely suspicious, but I am sure that this will trigger people to say "you're paranoid" and bla bla bla.

But its certainly possible and a little odd, especially if, once you end up having the scan, it ends up being identical...so definitely watch for that.

It might also be a poor security of the store, but then again, that person who took it from you seemed to be puzzled by it. So there might be a motive.

She might have started to ask around and then found out that there might be people who are after this because its relatively rare and hasn't been scanned yet.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

So there used to be skaarj gunners with eightballs in isv kran and apparently the ones spawned before the turbo lift were also gunners instead of troopers. This makes it considerably more difficult. Also there was minigun in skycaves too and two krall guarded the door to skytown instead of skaarj officers, there was also skaarj berserker right after...

Return to “Unreal General Forum”