For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Old school players

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Upallnight

Old school players

Post by Upallnight »

Hey all just wondering if thier is a spot on here for old school players to catch up I was one of many players to start this game I'm sure if any of you were around the name will ring a bell I was in a few clans my first was [hsma] was also in [ta] and [qsf] love to hear from some old school players.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Old school players

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Hi and welcome.

I have not played online around 1998, I in fact only played a pre-release version of Unreal in that year. A year later I played the Unreal Special Edition and later got my own computer and didn't play full version until 2001/2002, so I was a bit late to the party. There are few people here left that should have been around online back then, I heard Casey was but he was probably not playing dm that much but I might be wrong. (and mind you he would have been very young anyways not unlike myself so i wonder whether someone might have confused him for another kaos clan member)

But given that you might have had the unreal lobby map (index.unr) laying around, I would love to know however slim chance there is for you to have preserved it. (check my private message for details)

and yes it was literally called index.unr as that's what unreal(server) would default to if no map was specified lol
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I am a first hour player, but in the first months I mostly played it in LAN. Crazy times, PII 233 and a Voodoo2 iirc.

So hello and welcome!
hsma indeed rings a bell :)
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Got some great memories from back in 2000/2001. Playing at the Motor City Madhouse sniper server. Always the same map. Great fun.
And some server that always ran DMBathroomSE. Ofc Killroy's Zeitkind with Monsters, which inspired my HyperDM server. Great guy that Killroy. Haven't seen him in years. All before the days of the Snipers Paradise server. And ofc the many matches with the honorable players of the }TCP{ Clan.

Later I mostly switched to coop with a bit more casual play style, this inspired me in 2003 to start my own server. First a listening server with UGold, where by bug everyone was allowed to summon. Great fun building homes in SpireVillage and decorating them but the server never lasted longer than a few hours as some players liked to summon a gazillion of projectiles. :D
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Blu3Haz3
OldUnreal Member

Post by Blu3Haz3 »

i first played it in 99 and then in 2000\2001 we finally got 56k and played it here at my house online. but i just remember there were many servers and many players, i liked to play on CW's server 'Moo Moo Land', or however it went. i remember the first server i ran at that time was nalic and i had a bad habit of giving everyone admin so we could spawn in and size up tables to stretch across the entire map lol. i guess i was trying to build a base or something. packleader ended up joining the server and caused all kinds of mayhem with it, admin or not. anyways, the first map i loaded up in botmatch was DM-Ariza, and it was actually the first time playing any fps on the computer, unreal was really difficult coming from an N64 and wasd\esdf was even tougher.

most memorable for me was the big coop servers, having 8 or so players on at a single time on a server was pretty fun. and it was my first online interaction, which is why unreal probably was so important to me. that phase between the 90's to 2000's was a really neat experience as a kid, wish i could do it all over again. 8)
Buster
Global Moderator

Post by Buster »

When UT99 first came out my friend bought himself a copy and gave me a copy of Unreal Gold, which he said he got a week earlier and hadn't played it yet. He knew I'd just gotten a Voodoo II graphics card so I'd be able to run it. Only crappy dail-up internet at that time, so it was single-player games for me. I took it home and tried it out. Twenty plus years later and I still have the same copy I got back then installed. I didn't get to play with the editor until a year later when my wife broke down and let me get cable internet. The divorce followed a few years later. It was around 2001 when I discovered the Eurasian Server, which ran only DmZahltag, populated with IP, Mars (of which I'm co-founder and leader), KoR and others. It was back then that we beta tested 'voice over ip' technology, which later became the host of Teamspeak servers, so we were talking to each other world-wide for free. Now it's built in to every console. Back in 2001-2003 it was amazingly new and fun. We had a lot of great times, and some really heated tournaments. My brothers!
Blu3Haz3
OldUnreal Member

Post by Blu3Haz3 »

Buster wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:16 am It was back then that we beta tested 'voice over ip' technology, which later became the host of Teamspeak servers, so we were talking to each other world-wide for free. Now it's built in to every console. Back in 2001-2003 it was amazingly new and fun. We had a lot of great times, and some really heated tournaments. My brothers!
Wait, was this the first instance of VOIP on PC? I had heard of MPlayer, Vent, Heat etc and I thought those had the same stuff.
Buster
Global Moderator

Post by Buster »

Actually, Teamspeak was later. It was almost exclusively used by everybody when it first came out. The fact that you could use an old pc as a Teamspeak server allowed its common use. Plus, it was quite stable. But Teamspeak was not the first VOIP that was used. The first one I had ever heard of and used was BattleCom by Shadowfactor. It was a Canadian company bought out by Microsoft in 1999.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”