For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

"Nightdive wants to remaster the original Unreal next"

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

"Nightdive wants to remaster the original Unreal next"

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

source: https://www.pcgamer.com/nightdive-wants ... real-next/,

Not sure what they could do here to really be worth the cost. Even before 227 4k widescreen and better rendering options are a thing. Adding DoF/bloom/etc doesn't really change much to the game.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: "Nightdive wants to remaster the original Unreal next"

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Funny that you post this because that rumor thing i posted turned out to be false/something else. Or maybe it is a combination of this happening and then that mixing together....so maybe there was some grain of truth to it all.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Now that I've read the article...well so this is just a planning phase now...either way I believe some of the people I contacted in regards of old addon content do work in nightdive now or close to it, at least in the whole zenimax business. Maybe the word has gotten around thanks to that too. I just hope that if this happens, Tim will finally open his safe and try to find some old lost levels that could be brought back for an addon pack of sorts. We don't really need new content like that expansion in the last Quake. I liked dimensions of the past but I am not keen on the high poly stuff expansion. There's enough cut content out there to provide for a big pack besides. Someone should definitely talk with us here about it, dammit. lol

EDIT: It was the Spantobi guy that works at MachineGames btw, but not sure if they'll be involved. It'd be funny due to the steele dawn stuff, if he happened to work on some new content...
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Wondering where the "therealcliffyb" was when I tried for a time span over a decade to even get most simple answers to any of my mails.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

nightmare scenario: They hire Luke11685 for the remaster and he'll try to become next CEO of Epic Games...

like the thread in the similar threads suggestion list

lol
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Smirftsch wrote: ↑Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:48 pm Wondering where the "therealcliffyb" was when I tried over a decade to even get most simple answers to any of my mails.
Time to get an account on Twitter and bother him. πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

Though if my timeline isn't wrong, he was already out of EG by the time v226a rolled out. πŸ€”
Leo T_C_K wrote: ↑Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:13 pm nightmare scenario: They hire Luke11685 for the remaster and he'll try to become next CEO of Epic Games...

lol
NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Imagine him turning my crazy fanfics into an official Unreal episode, thus making Confused Travolta and Marilyn Brandon canon.....

Muhahahahahaaha

and then....producing Unreal movie and starring Travolta himself in it...
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

There's a fake news article making the rounds in all traditional social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Reddit...) as of late (not going to link it, those bastards and their fake news can go suck a Na Pali-sized d1ck) about an Unreal Tournament remaster. The catch is that the quoted tweet is the Nightdive tweet about the Unreal (1998) remaster.

This proves lots of things:
  • How easy the bullshit spreads through social media. (Brandolino principle -the good one, not the awful bitch that sells snake oil and spreads FUD-)
  • How lost of an art fact checking is becoming.
  • How easy to fool and manipulate people is.
  • How likes and numbers matter more than the actual truth in journalism.
  • How damaging mass social media became.

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
eGo
OldUnreal Member

Post by eGo »

Leo T_C_K wrote: ↑Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:13 pm nightmare scenario: They hire Luke11685 for the remaster and he'll try to become next CEO of Epic Games...

lol
god damned...YESYESYES :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Neon_Knight wrote: ↑Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:46 pm There's a fake news article making the rounds in all traditional social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Reddit...) as of late (not going to link it, those bastards and their fake news can go suck a Na Pali-sized d1ck) about an Unreal Tournament remaster. The catch is that the quoted tweet is the Nightdive tweet about the Unreal (1998) remaster.

• How easy the bullshit spreads through social media. (Brandolino principle -the good one, not the awful bitch that sells snake oil and spreads FUD-)
That was apparently started on the twitter thread/stuff, like here https://nitter.net/TMOE_1S/status/1533879849001140224#m

and yes its just so tiresome...

there are some interesting replies though

https://nitter.net/FunkyRustic/status/1 ... 23571968#m

but yea when social media started to become a thing, i didn't join in. Then like 5 years later i started to already see my back-then irl friends withdrawing from it and well they aren't seen anywhere anymore now. Obviously even they realised the pitfalls.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Leo T_C_K wrote: ↑Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:30 am
Neon_Knight wrote: ↑Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:46 pm There's a fake news article making the rounds in all traditional social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Reddit...) as of late (not going to link it, those bastards and their fake news can go suck a Na Pali-sized d1ck) about an Unreal Tournament remaster. The catch is that the quoted tweet is the Nightdive tweet about the Unreal (1998) remaster.

That was apparently started on the twitter thread/stuff, like here https://nitter.net/TMOE_1S/status/1533879849001140224#m

and yes its just so tiresome...

there are some interesting replies though

https://nitter.net/FunkyRustic/status/1 ... 23571968#m

but yea when social media started to become a thing, i didn't join in. Then like 5 years later i started to already see my back-then irl friends withdrawing from it and well they aren't seen anywhere anymore now. Obviously even they realised the pitfalls.
I was talking about an article on another site which I'm still not going to link in order to not give them any traffic. (Link sent to you via PM, though, so you can see which article I'm referring to)

Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I get it, but the confusion seemed to have started on the social media. and then repeated by the news. Again when people say Unreal they think the engine and only then the game. And when game it is UT for them, because "Unreal" what's that? That's the name of teh engine ain't it? Was always UT, RIIIGHT?

Fucking jesus chr....I wish that UT stayed an expansion pack when I see all this...

Sadly, some people who should know better like people who made models for the later games also seem to confuse shit or not remember/know history of a game they worked on even...

Its that fucking bad now. I was confused for a "troll" by a guy who worked on Unreal 2 models in the later stage of developement because he thought I was sending him screenshots of "U1". Even though that stuff wasn't identical. He apparently wasn't aware that Unreal 2 started right after UT developement concluded.

EDIT: Same could be said about some people that also stayed at Epic and joined Unreal dev after release of Unreal...

like Alan Willard. I remember a few years ago he claimed that Epic cut nothing out of original Unreal. Top kek, like someone on 4chan would say.

Like I immediately countered with the video of xmas 97 trailer and...well i didn't bother him with all the material uncovered from various magazines/documents etc.

Yea sure he wasn't there to see it, but he was present right after Unreal and even from UT a few levels got cut in the end, so what the hell is he talking about. Like the credibility really goes down. Sure a lot of levels might have been unfinished but there were also fully playable masterpieces. Case in point, the levels like morose and soledad in 1998 beta were more playable than many of the release-version level equivalents there.

But yea then he went silent. And even from his levels, a lot of detail was cut like remember the assault level that had the skaarj statues near the entrance of the fortress? In promotional screenshots early on. That's even gone in the ut beta that was leaked.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

why did i not hear of this before?
https://www.gamespress.com/Nightdive-St ... tions-and-

there's literally already a remaster of another unreal engine game, wheel of time...by them
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

https://www.gog.com/forum/the_wheel_of_time#1655166104
they ask about 3dfx renderer here, this is no "remaster" just a rerelease
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

It does have new drivers and shit and given that wot had problems with the movies being played on machines circa 2007 already, it is good that someone made it all working again, given legend never released the public headers this was good news i guess. but in this case I doubt anyone from Legend got paid for this too..I'm going to ask around.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Apparently it still uses quicktime of all things, I think that article was out of line calling this a "remaster". If it were even slightly modernized they would have fixed the cutscenes to you know... not need quicktime.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Yes but I saw a playthrough of this on youtube and the movies play ingame just fine while with the regular old versions they appear "zoomed in" and choppy as hell so I always played them separately. I still wonder how they did this, did someone secretly have the public headers or source? Given that even the devs lost it at this point? I don't get it, either way I sent away two messages about this to the Legend folks. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't hear of it or didn't receive a paycheck, even if cliff still gets paychecks for jazz through gog etc...
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

also

The game will essentially be the original game, with the following features added:
- adding compatibility with Windows 7/8/10/11
- adding support for DEP-enabled systems
- adding support for high DPI-enabled systems
- patching to the last official version 333b
- adding full 3Dfx Glide support
- adding full Direct3D 7 support
- adding full Software (DirectDraw 7) support
- fixing all in-game crashes
- fixing audio playback
- fixing level editor
- fixing save system
- fixing all problems related to QuickTime playback (esp. crashes / slow rendering)
- fixing windowed mode & no-vsync mode
- fixing game recovery mode
- tweaking default engine configuration
- adding high resolution modes to D3D & Software
- adding automatic FOV correction for widescreen modes (D3D / Software)
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

That changelog just looks like the regular patch notes to me. I don't know anything about WoT to say, but I did laugh at this
  • fixing all in-game crashes
Yeah, alright. I believe you.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Feel free to try to crash the game then and see how long that claim holds up lol. But I still wonder if this is different than the last official version how did they do it? Did they get access to whatever Atari/Infogrames was withholding/took from the devs or what?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

[]KAOS[]Casey wrote: ↑Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:26 am Apparently it still uses quicktime of all things, I think that article was out of line calling this a "remaster". If it were even slightly modernized they would have fixed the cutscenes to you know... not need quicktime.
So I spoke now to someone ex-Legend, while they were informed, at least some of them, they are not getting any bucks for this at all, due to the license not being with them, etc etc.

*red lens flares appear in his eyes*

so its all about loicenses? When you loose it no matter that you worked hard on that game, you get no payments anymore? Fuck I hate business.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Gaming as a whole is terrible about residuals, it doesn't seem to matter who made something or how big of a role they took. Voice actors get shafted all the time. Capitalism baby
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

i suppose you're right

either way if someone wants to see a playthrough of this edition, here's the yt code
Z1cXTzJwRkE
eGo
OldUnreal Member

Post by eGo »

I also talk to Bob Bates (LE) about WoT a while ago:
Hi Jan, The rights to the game were sold to Atari North America, which has since gone bankrupt, so I don't know who owns the rights. However, the game was produced under a license from Robert Jordan, and that license must have expired by now. So even if you could reach the game's current rights holder, it would still not be legal to issue new versions. I'm glad you enjoyed the original, and I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you. -

Return to β€œUnreal General Forum”