For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

New Unreal Tournament Beta Version From Early 1999 (Build 221)

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: New Unreal Tournament Beta Version From Early 1999 (Build 221)

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Btw, did anyone try the DemoRec driver? It seems to have a separate dll in the 221 version and all.

Also, if you look at the file dates some maps are really old from 1998, like crucible and naliairforce and reactor, those will run on the 220 version for sure (just try it).

Also Addon1.uax is from July 1998, what does it have again?
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Addon1.uax has only 3 sounds and they're for a lift. A starting, an ending and a looping one.
A whole package for one lift lol
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Well...there was a guy recently who announced having a pre-release disc of Unreal, physically and also sources for some artwork and what not that's on the disc. But he hasn't so far gotten back.

Either way....those 1998 files makes me wonder how botpack looked like before 220 version, because some of those maps and packages are before that. And the addon1.uax file is most likely still from the original sp level pack before they slowly turned it into botpack. But I wonder then, because twilight predates 220, it means that warheadlauncher existed before 220 too...how did it look like? we never saw any screenshots from back then...it might have been still very different.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Btw I noticed the title of the KGalleon map actually says "AS-KGalleon"

so it was Assault at one point? Also...why did the frigate map have a skybox with lower layer too? Like its part of sky islands or something (reminds me that we had the atheist nali have that ship on the moon in ASP)...

Also.... wtf is the pulsegun projectile impact sound? I'm sure I heard it somewhere before, but where?

There was something else I wanted to point out...what was it?

Oh yes while I was looking through the sounds of the 222 version (btw I converted dom-metaldream to 220 botpack also, I will upload it once the stuff waiting to be transfered gets transfered), I noticed that there was ketzen group in noxxsnd. So they also did a port of Ketzen to early botpack after it was cut from Unreal, for domination.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Where have you seen it as AS-KGalleon?

And yeah, the pulse gun has a different sound when the projectiles hit a surface.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:22 pm Where have you seen it as AS-KGalleon?

And yeah, the pulse gun has a different sound when the projectiles hit a surface.
Even in yrex's video it shows that, in the title of the map right after he starts it from the menu. So in levelinfo.

The sound is familiar though I am sure I heard it in another game or a film maybe...
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Yoo, I haven't noticed that.
It makes sense tho, it'd make an interesting assault map.
What would have been the objective?
Maybe 'Team A' would go up to the main ship with like a little boat or something and they have to hijack the Galleon?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:19 pm Yoo, I haven't noticed that.
It makes sense tho, it'd make an interesting assault map.
What would have been the objective?
Maybe 'Team A' would go up to the main ship with like a little boat or something and they have to hijack the Galleon?
Maybe there are still some leftover things/hints. I do not know until I'm able to inspect the map itself. Otherwise maybe yrex can.

But either way...maybe it was just that one team starts on the lower deck or something and try to get something in the cabin (the 222 version has a pushable book there in the "library", it calls the secret elevator to the flag pole, maybe that used to be an objective).

And maybe the objective would be to change the flag and then finally take control of the steering wheel after...
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Well, there's really only one thing that I find interesting.

Why does FortStandard use that red flag mesh in the first place? (Unless there's some other explanation I don't know.) That mesh also happens to be used in this map (as a decoration). So maybe, just MAYBE this is a map where they did some early experiments with AS? Then repurposed it into a DM map but forgot to change the title? This map also has a kinda early modification date (1998-12-12).

Also, in 221 the LevelEnterText is "COMMAND THE SHIP!!!", while in 222 and final it's "SHIVER ME TIMBERS!!!"...
My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

That makes perfect sense. It might have been the first assault map created then. So now there are like four distinct/different versions of this?

Like..221 version, 222, release and the ps2 one? They all differ in many ways.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Interesting.
What's different in the PS2 version?
I've never played it.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:41 pm Interesting.
What's different in the PS2 version?
I've never played it.
Well I never played the original/release PS2 version, but the in developement levels we received back in the day (around 2011 or so), which some of them were different, had galleon level that had one of the floors/removed/cut off and there might not have been the teleporters either and the water might have been slightly different too. Also I think there was less see-through stuff, this was done for optimization mostly, I think the level ran poorly on the PS2.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

here's a video by corey. I told him I didn't really find this, but w/e

Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Well, finally got it transfered, except forgot about soldierskins fix so i have to make the fix for myself (again), lol! I mean yrex did it sepearately, delacroix and now I'll have to.

Either way...the UNREAL.ini2 file is from version 219 of botpack stuff, just saying. Contains reference to naliplayer still, also username was GreenMarine lol.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Btw a while ago I asked gamesharder (because he had plain unreal 221 installed) if it contains the naliplayer or not, since I didn't have it installed at the time. He said it didn't...however ut beta 221 does and outside of botpack, while previous botpacks had the naliplayer in it instead of unreali.

Now I don't know if UnrealI was altered for ut 221, or gamesharder was simply wrong and didn't check properly (after all it doesn't appear in the int file by default, yet the ut 221 version does reference it).
UnrealGGecko
OldUnreal Member

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Fantastic find! Only had a chance to check some of the maps so far. Really interesting! Really happy to explore more :D

Might be a dumb question, but where are the voicepack sounds located in here? I assume in Botpack.u, in which case I might need help with opening that one lol.
Reason I'm asking: was making a Voicepack for UT of the 220 FemaleOne, and this seems to also use that voice, with maybe some extra lines? 222 seems to change to the one we know today.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I have prepared extracted resources from the 221 botpack already (including meshes and everything). And some 222 resources too as they have different animations for the botpack players etc.

I should upload this within the next few days. Btw as I thought, ctf-niven etc loads in 220 botpack meaning it does get enabled for the tournamentladder, the classic one....

But yes the voices were in botpack here.

in 220 botpack, you still have the dispersionpistol in ctf and niven has weaponpowerups still too.

EDIT: Lol well on 220 it crashes game when i touch the flag on the actual ladder and in the version i compiled on 225 it says "You fail to advance

Your personal rating for this match is an outstanding 0"
this basically pauses the game and it keeps repeating...this is some buggy shit lol with the ladder of the original 220 botpack compiles...but maybe someone can fix that

EDIT2: Btw if you don't know how to start the ladder on 220 botpack, you need to play a map or the game first, then go to usual new game stuff and it will replace it with the ladder menu (it has also botmatch on the bottom). Only ctf ladder works
UnrealGGecko
OldUnreal Member

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Perfect! Thanks in advance thumbsup
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

There will be some repair works here tomorrow so I won't be able to be around, however I was going through the texture packages in 221 and just like 222 there are some differences (in 222 there were some extra textures like on metaldream the higher res "3" symbol and such that didn't come from starship).

But I noticed apart from the commandoskins having the team variants of the "ISV" skin, the egypt.utx package also differs like there are no cracks on the hieroglyph textures etc. I believe a thorought extraction/examination should be done on the texture packages in the future.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Okay so ctf-gauntlet, which on 221 has a missing texture, has the texture displayed correctly on later versions. This is probably because they didn't update the texture package yet for this build while the map was made with the new package already....

It will display correctly if you load it in release UT for example (but rename the map please).

Also here's a list of maps still having weaponpowerups (which are already destroyed on the botpack 221 gametypes, not so in botpack 220, so those will do fine on botpack 220)...

DM-Liandri,
CTF-Niven,
CTF-Coret,
CTF-Phraela

Please note this down as this is important as further on weaponpowerups lost their meaning in botpack challenge games...

EDIT: I am definitely convinced that AS-Mazon started as a SP level too (like I originally was), but the person I asked (not shane) simply suggested it was just reused brushes but it seems its more since the old versions had a single playerstart and no fortstandards etc.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:45 pm Perfect! Thanks in advance thumbsup
I used mostly yrex's unextract to do this (and other stuff) due to lack of time even though I usually do things my usual conversion/extraction method.

beta 221 extract
botpack222 "partial"

The 222 botpack contains the new player models for example but they no longer have the weapon triangle glitch as in 221 and yet still use the basic unreal set of animations as opposed to the later new ut one found at least since the 300 builds...

i also uploaded the metal dream 220 version/conversion

metald220
alt version made using yrex's tool - this version doesn't display the locations correctly on 220 though, but works fine with 225.

I believe the 3 symbol got replaced accidentaly with the one from starship there. hence the weird scaling in one of the versions (i tried to rescale in others).
UnrealGGecko
OldUnreal Member

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Big thank yous! thx

EDIT: Damn looks like I was mistaken, it's the later Female1 voice in there. There's still a few things I can do with these though. thumbsup
EDIT2: Also looks like the Male One voice has the rerecorded acknowledgements here compared to 220, also am I mistaken or is Male One's quiet here line only in this version? Dont think I heard it before.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:17 pm Big thank yous! thx

EDIT: Damn looks like I was mistaken, it's the later Female1 voice in there. There's still a few things I can do with these though. thumbsup
EDIT2: Also looks like the Male One voice has the rerecorded acknowledgements here compared to 220, also am I mistaken or is Male One's quiet here line only in this version? Dont think I heard it before.
I don't know, I'm not such an expert on all the different lines, I didn't study them in detail and compare but its possible.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Neat!
Thanks for everyone's fixes/conversions!
Leo T_C_K wrote:There will be some repair works here tomorrow so I won't be able to be around, however I was going through the texture packages in 221 and just like 222 there are some differences (in 222 there were some extra textures like on metaldream the higher res "3" symbol and such that didn't come from starship).

But I noticed apart from the commandoskins having the team variants of the "ISV" skin, the egypt.utx package also differs like there are no cracks on the hieroglyph textures etc.
Interesting. I wonder how much changes textures packs were going through in base Unreal between like 1997 and 1998 before their final form.
I noticed some textures in the '97 Gameplay Demo video (unreal.rm) on the Dissent map DecayedS.utx doesn't seem to have, or the creator of the map used them really weird.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

There were also several textures found in the psx unreal packages (low res) never found in any other version we had, because they were cut. I believe John Anderson and someone else got access to the original "master" files with up to date textures on each, so that's how they got those packages together, but its now lost the original normal res versions. We were lucky to get the old crypt package intact via the emissary guys and that it was in the examples of level design stuff for 0.83. Otherwise the unrela psx stuff would have to do with shitty resized versions like the versions found in upb-misc of the other exclusive textures...

its also bad because the psx textures not only were resized but used different pallete and less colors

Return to “Unreal General Forum”