For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Concept for a weapon

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Concept for a weapon

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I started to get a bit "creative" now again because there are some days "free" now because of easter, so I started drawing some concepts, first of a version of the "cyberdemon" like warlord, then I suddenly came up with a new gun called "Fatalyzer", I know, a bit of a cheesy name and probably not as good as some of my older gun concepts, but hear this one out:

It basically acts like a hybrid between a portable "oven" and a missile launcher however crazy that sounds. It has two big rods at the front that are places horizontally next to each other, it has a control panel at the side and is bulky like a big rocket launcher or microwave almost...
Basically it also can function as a melee with closeup but also should damage anyone standing at the front automatically because of the heat the rods emit all the time.
It is super-heated there at the front.
Primary fire should act similarly to the particle clouder weapon, emits heated up particles at the front that are very effective and might seek to enemies at close range.
Secondary fire acts like missile launcher of sorts, it launches the front rods similar to impaler discarding the crystal. They impact and get stuck in wall and explode after few seconds in actual big explosion.

But the secondary fire is slow despite being very powerful. That's how it should be.

A new quirk for the weapon that should be unusual should be that if player drops the weapon by dying or throwing it away, it will soon auto detonate. The thrown weapon can be picked up if done soon enough which will cancel the self-destruct mechanism, so this will basically function similarly to the old voice box or peacemaker where you could reuse it, however the twist is that the detonation occurs with this.

Obviously this would require a new model but given the bulkyness the "biggun" from doomreal or the f3 grenade launcher that reuses that model from "steele dawn ce" could be used as a base although it would need substantial modification like it would need to be broader and with the rods and a duplicate clip on one side that is shortened while on the other the control panel(which could be modified from the "clip" as well).
I can see a piece or two of the ut eightball model be reused too, like the tubing at the side instead of modifying the clip etc.

Just throwing some ideas in the air, what do you guys think?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Concept for a weapon

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Because I was asked about origin of this weapon and some other stuff, I'm going to write a bit about it here.

First off, I don't think this would be a Skaarj origin weapon. I see it more as a hybrid tech, the side panel should be a bit rusted in the style of other unreal items/weapons like the motion detector etcetera.

It would fit well in maps like Dissent(or Dreary which was directly based on that cut map), which might use decayeds but is not necessarily mercenary in origin so some other race or even the atheist nali/nali resistance.

It might use parts of mercenary tech or human tech even. Since the "technical nali" used whatever technology they could get onto plus all the old non religious nali past...

It might seem overpowered but it is still clumsy to use. The primary fire with those particles, they should be still more like "hot air" meaning it disperses after a while and doesn't have infinite range and also the auto seeking only works within the radius of that stream, it won't chase enemies throughout the whole room or area. so a little less effecient than the particle clouder (if you tried that old weapon, not sure if I ported it I did provide the export and script though). And individually the particles don't do much damage but if an enemy happens to be in the middle of the whole stream of them it is usually lethal...

So that's what I wanted to write. It would make sense tying it into places like Dissent in my opinion.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Sounds nice. Definitely creative.
I like the oven and missile launcher hybrid part ;D
The self-destruct mechanism is also a nice idea.
It could be a weapon of another race, who landed on NaPali, but it sounds like a Skaarj/Mercenary type of weapon to me.

Also...

DISSENT INTENSIFIES!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Thanks. Yea its just I can't imagine it being a Skaarj weapon on itself and JackHonda cannot see it as Mercenary weapon based on the description I gave before so its a bit strange and undecisive where it fits. As I said also a plausible explanation would be the Nali Resistance(the real resistance had even spaceships in caves in the books and vehicles) or the moon atheist nali from upsx etc.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

These are those quick sketches I talked about...we've been scanning some old/random stuff lately and also happened to scan this so I decided to revive this thread. I made this primarily not to forget about the idea. It wasn't really to show off drawing skill, or anything. Though my drawing skill can vary from time to time from terrible to great depending on the time. Image

the second weapon lacks proper description I might not have said it in this thread and might have forgot to take notes.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Here are those various discarded sketches of the cyberwarlord and some other creature that kind of got funnily made out of it. I just did it from memory or something...
it looks funny and deformed, also those two weapons at the bottom those might be slightly better as concepts

At the time Luke was nagging me about Tubelectric 3D I also made this quick sketch as inspiration to go by.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”