For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[ALAudio] - HRTF should not affect 2D sources like music and GUI sounds.

This forum is for the new audio renderer for UEngine 1 based games, like Unreal, UnrealTournament, DeusEx and Rune. Missing a Game? Want to develop yourself? Let us know!
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

[ALAudio] - HRTF should not affect 2D sources like music and GUI sounds.

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

I don't know if this is something that should be brought up with OpenALSoft developer(s) but the HRTF functions should only be applied to 3D sources, not 2D sources like music and GUI sounds.

If possible is there a way to "blacklist" the music and such from being filtered with the HRTF function?
“I am the dragon without a name.”
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñïght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil
han
Global Moderator

Re: [ALAudio] - HRTF should not affect 2D sources like music and GUI sounds.

Post by han »

The problem basically breaks down that [url=http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal-extensions/SOFT_HRTF.txt]ALC_SOFT_HRTF[/url] works on a global scope, so there is at least no direct way of disabling it per source.

However, one could try to hit a path in the OpenAL Soft implementation which either disables or reduces the HRTF influence on the music, Smirftsch or I should ask Chris about it.

The only thing in the Source I see at first glance is that one could try to actually set a non zero AL_DIRECTION for the music source and see if that helps.
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Re: [ALAudio] - HRTF should not affect 2D sources like music and GUI sounds.

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

If it's possible to give the music a "neutral" AL_DIRECTION that wouldn't be affected by the default HRTF filters, that would work. A patch idea to OpenALSoft itself would be a good idea if you're in contact with the dev.
“I am the dragon without a name.”
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñïght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil

Return to “ALAudio (OpenAL), FMOD (FMOD3 and FMOD Ex) or other new audio renderer for UEngine 1 Games”