For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Semi public release of 227j

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: Semi public release of 227j

Post by Smirftsch »

joeydonbaker wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:37 pm
Reborn wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:29 pm New bugreport: UnrealEd x64 SoftDrv renderer does not working
"procedure entry point ?OnCreateObjectNew@Uobject@@UEAAXPEAV1@@Z not found in Core.dll"
Tested on Windows7 x64
Get similar error when starting a server from ucc with 227j public release.

ucc server Vortex2.unr?Game=JCoopZ1.JCoopZGame?Difficulty=3 INI=Unreal.ini log=log\server -server -timestamplog

ERROR:
UCC.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point ?Release@UObject@@UAGKXZ could not be located in the dynamic link library Core.dll.
Edit: I need to test SoftDrv yet Tested SoftDrv here and it seems to load without problems too, but this very much looks like a mixup of dll's from different versions, such as 227i files or 64b files with 32b files- you get the idea.
Running 32 and 64b server versions are the most tested things and known to work.
Please verify that again.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
ExpEM
OldUnreal Member

Post by ExpEM »

Smirftsch wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:03 am Just to give you some update.
227j has a lot of- mostly not critical - but annoying little bugs and glitches yet. Most of the reported things are fixed already by now, so I am planning to go "full" release with 227k very soon.

Thanks for all the testing feedback we got already from you!
Thank you for keeping us well informed thumbsup
Jules
OldUnreal Member

Post by Jules »

First of all, let me congratulate you on finally releasing this patch. I'm really grateful that these old games are still receiving all this care from their community, more than two decades (!) after their release.

That being said, I've been testing the Linux version, and I'd like to share my experiences so far. The 32-bit version didn't start at first, throwing the error "Can't find file for package ALAudio". After trying various approaches, what seems to have really solved the problem was to extract libxmp.so.4.5.0 from convenience_libs.tar.bz2 and create a link called libxmp.so.4 to it in the System directory. If anyone else encounters a similar problem, this might solve the issue. Having done this, the game started up flawlessly.

The 64-bit version, however, refuses to start at all. The only error I'm getting is a "Illegal instruction (core dumped)" in the Terminal. Does anyone have any clue how this might be solved?
Reborn
OldUnreal Member

Post by Reborn »

Smirftsch wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:05 amTested SoftDrv here and it seems to load without problems too, but this very much looks like a mixup of dll's from different versions, such as 227i files or 64b files with 32b files- you get the idea.
Running 32 and 64b server versions are the most tested things and known to work.
Please verify that again.
https://ibb.co/z5mcQVJ
I do not used 227i - installed the patch on original UnrealGold from Unreal Anthology (2006)
Tested on Windows7 x64 with all updates and all instaled Visual C++ Redistributable packages
This was tested on two different computers.
1) I selected "software rendering" in viewport menu
2) "procedure entry point ?OnCreateObjectNew@Uobject@@UEAAXPEAV1@@Z not found in Core.dll"
3) and next window - "Failed initializing renderer SoftDRV.SoftwareRenderDevice"
Unreal.exe and UnrealEd, only x64, only software rendering
(in x86 all working)

Maybe the reason is in the operating system.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hey Smirftsch, I'm amazed at the work you and all the others are doing here, just amazing! And you all are doing it gratis. I hope many gamers who benefit from all this effort pony up with something to show their gratitude. I know I will.

Wow, just wow!

Fred
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

227j has a lot of- mostly not critical - but annoying little bugs and glitches yet. Most of the reported things are fixed already by now, so I am planning to go "full" release with 227k very soon.

My pleasure to help with the work on the patch. 🍻
Fred wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:40 pm ahaigh01,

Thanks, buddy. We have to keep Epic Games happy. I don't know why they don't approve of D3D11 stuff, but that's the way the mop flops. I'll get rid of those .dds graphics files, asap.

Fred
I would never let into my system a renderer that messes up with my system's clipboard, replacing it with another type of content (that actually makes that renderer a malware). Messing up with the people's system is a douche move. The guy who developed the D3D11 renderer had no need to do that. And then there's the breaking of the NDA. Regardless of your opinion about EG, if someone break the terms of a contract, the consequences are on them.
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
BIr4
OldUnreal Member

Post by BIr4 »

I found the infinite improvements amazing.
Configuration to increase the HUD. A good thing they made U1 support remembering window position when running in windowed mode (I hope they make one of these for UT). Translations. And many other things.

Congratulations. I'm HAPPY.

Edit:
Portuguese translations:
Example: In Vortex2.ptt the translation is very correct. But in the game the wrong characters appear in game.

Image (Correct translation thumbsup )

But in game appears this:

Still in vortex2 we have:

Image (Correct translation thumbsup )
The Portuguese language works a lot with ..ao ..suffixes of words. For now it was just this TYPE of flaw found in the translation. The translation files appear to be impeccable. However, in the transport to the game something causes certain characters not to be displayed.
Where can I ask/request for a fix for this?
Last edited by BIr4 on Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Neon_Knight wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:16 pm

My pleasure to help with the work on the patch. 🍻
Fred wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:40 pm ahaigh01,

Thanks, buddy. We have to keep Epic Games happy. I don't know why they don't approve of D3D11 stuff, but that's the way the mop flops. I'll get rid of those .dds graphics files, asap.

Fred
I would never let into my system a renderer that messes up with my system's clipboard, replacing it with another type of content (that actually makes that renderer a malware). Messing up with the people's system is a douche move. The guy who developed the D3D11 renderer had no need to do that. And then there's the breaking of the NDA. Regardless of your opinion about EG, if someone break the terms of a contract, the consequences are on them.
Thanks, Neon_Knight, for the clarification regarding what is amiss with D3D11. I had no idea about all that. Back when i installed it on my system, there was no information, that I saw, about Epic Games's, or anyone else's, objection to D3D11. The first I heard about all this is just now in these posts here in this forum. All news to me.

Fred
BIr4
OldUnreal Member

Post by BIr4 »

correcting google translation above:
The Portuguese language works a lot with ..ão and ..ões suffixes of words. For now it was just this TYPE of flaw found in the translation. The translation files appear to be impeccable. However, in the transport to the game something causes certain characters not to be displayed.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

BIr4 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:45 pm correcting google translation above:
The Portuguese language works a lot with ..ão and ..ões suffixes of words. For now it was just this TYPE of flaw found in the translation. The translation files appear to be impeccable. However, in the transport to the game something causes certain characters not to be displayed.
Hi! Post localization bugs and mistranslations in the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=10397

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
BIr4
OldUnreal Member

Post by BIr4 »

Thank's.
UnrealGGecko
OldUnreal Member

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Congrats to the team on the release! Love the work you put in here thumbsup
Milkey Wilkey
OldUnreal Member

Post by Milkey Wilkey »

Will it by any chance include an option for original texture mixing formula so that skies and reflections will be what they are supposed to be? I mean dark "dark arena" etc ;D
I see there is a 'SimulateMultiPass' option for xOpengl, but it does nothing for me, as well as disabling multitexturing in regular OpenGL. At least on wine. haven't been able to run native linux builds yet, it needs some dependencies like vorbis libraries
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Milkey Wilkey wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:30 am At least on wine. haven't been able to run native linux builds yet, it needs some dependencies like vorbis libraries
There's a file that should be included, in the Help folder, it contains said libraries... And the FAQ section of the Release Notes should also contain the instructions and other stuff.
Last edited by Neon_Knight on Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THEtomaso
OldUnreal Member

Post by THEtomaso »

Smirftsch wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:03 amMost of the reported things are fixed already by now, so I am planning to go "full" release with 227k very soon.
Please tell me that it will incude a fix for this bug:
THEtomaso wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:39 pm#4: If you start a new Return to Na Pali game, and let the intro play out without skipping anything, it fails to be shown properly.
When Intro2.unr is supposed to be loaded, it shows a black screen instead, with the HUD and crosshair.
At this point, you're able to shoot and look around.
This is one of the game's most basic features.
The fact that it's broken is citical!
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

THEtomaso wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:15 pm
Smirftsch wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:03 amMost of the reported things are fixed already by now, so I am planning to go "full" release with 227k very soon.
Please tell me that it will incude a fix for this bug:
THEtomaso wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:39 pm#4: If you start a new Return to Na Pali game, and let the intro play out without skipping anything, it fails to be shown properly.
When Intro2.unr is supposed to be loaded, it shows a black screen instead, with the HUD and crosshair.
At this point, you're able to shoot and look around.
This is one of the game's most basic features.
The fact that it's broken is citical!
FWIW opened an issue on Github about that one: https://github.com/OldUnreal/Unreal-testing/issues/207

THEtomaso
OldUnreal Member

Post by THEtomaso »

Neon_Knight wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:43 pmFWIW opened an issue on Github about that one: https://github.com/OldUnreal/Unreal-testing/issues/207
Since that particular repository seems to have been completely removed now, I guess the issue have been fixed??
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

THEtomaso wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:44 pm
Neon_Knight wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:43 pmFWIW opened an issue on Github about that one: https://github.com/OldUnreal/Unreal-testing/issues/207
Since that particular repository seems to have been completely removed now, I guess the issue have been fixed??
Repo is still there but only a few people have access to it. I thought people with access to the dev forums could see it.

THEtomaso
OldUnreal Member

Post by THEtomaso »

Neon_Knight wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:04 pmRepo is still there but only a few people have access to it. I thought people with access to the dev forums could see it.
Since you've got access..
Could you tell us the status of that bug?
Is it fixed? ..or if not; is it at least beeing looked into and considered a must-fix for v227k!?
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

THEtomaso wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:35 pm
Neon_Knight wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:04 pmRepo is still there but only a few people have access to it. I thought people with access to the dev forums could see it.
Since you've got access..
Could you tell us the status of that bug?
Is it fixed? ..or if not; is it at least beeing looked into and considered a must-fix for v227k!?
Send a PM to Smirftsch for access.

THEtomaso
OldUnreal Member

Post by THEtomaso »

Neon_Knight wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:47 pmSend a PM to Smirftsch for access.
Done
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Leaving this here for future reference.
I want my HD graphics! Why does the D3D11 Renderer not work with v227j?

The D3D11 renderer made by darknovismc (which we won't link here for reasons that will follow) advertises features it doesn't have, and just applies post processing to everything. However we don't have (m)any problems with this (though the false advertisement is a questionable behavior). The actual problem is that it indulges into malware-like behavior by replacing the user's clipboard content with a donation link, turning an otherwise innocuous renderer into a glorified piece of malware. All of this is also exacerbated by the author's... rather poor behavior and reaction to the request to cull off this unnecessary behavior from the renderer. While we have no problem with mod authors making a living off their creations, since this renderer actually messes up with the user's system, we have no interest in making 227 compatible with it, regardless of its features and how harmless the link actually is.
And if you don't believe this (which you really shouldn't), well, this appears at the top of the renderer's page:

A mod that messes up with the user's OS (and replacing the clipboard with a link IS malware-like behavior) has no place in any system.

eGo
OldUnreal Member

Post by eGo »

Yes I know but is it malware or is it not? Thats the question. You can disable this behaviour in INI with:

Code: Select all

[D3D11Drv.D3D11RenderDevice]
SupportMETextEnabled=False
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Such a thing should never have a place in a mod, let alone a renderer, regardless if it's as an option. And from what I see, it comes as "true" by default. That's basically the same as those bloatwares that come with many an installer that asks you whether or not you want to install them, you choose "no", and the thing is still installed.

So yeah, malware.

Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

I don't think it is bad intention, but software authors need to be careful with computers that are not theirs.
You never know what information a user temporarily stored on the clipboard. And while it is not smart to store valuable information on the clipboard without having it saved in a file, it still happens and silently overwriting it is not good.

Best thing would be if the mod author compiles a new version with this unwanted functionality removed. You can always ask for donations on your website and in your product manual.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk

Return to “Unreal 227”