For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Semi public release of 227j

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Re: Semi public release of 227j

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Mods made on different 227 versions were not intended to be forwards compatible. Besides, unreal evolution is less a mod and more of a total conversion. It overwrites many files instead of creating new ones.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

If anybody here has access to OldUnreal/Unreal-testing (WHEN PUBLIC REPO OldUnreal/UnrealPatches SMIRF?) and wants to test bugs, here's a list of old, open reports that need to be checked if they still apply in both v227j and the Github dev version:
https://github.com/OldUnreal/Unreal-tes ... testing%22
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
rick54321
OldUnreal Member

Post by rick54321 »

THEtomaso wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:02 pm Anyone else noticed that the Brutes appears to suffer from some type of weird graphics glitch (flickering), under some circumstances?
It seems to be mostly noticable when they're corpses.
I have this. Lesser brutes flicker, mostly, and their corpses.
Flickering on all renderers except Software. Most common on XOpenGL.
Setting bMultiThreadedShadows=False in Unreal.ini stops the flickering.
unfa

Post by unfa »

What an amazing update!

I'm playing on Linux, so I can probably provide some unique feedback.

I absolutely love that you've resurrected the old menu. It has so much more mood in it, I really missed that from the Unreal Gold release. Thank you!

One issue I've found when using the XOpenGL renderer (native 64-bit Linux version) is when transparent objects are drawn on scree, they reveal wireframes of solid objects behind them. For pain overlay this means the wireframes of everything are visible briefly:
Screenshot_20220726_024526.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

That's an error of some kind, not the usual behavior :)
Perhaps we can find something in the logs about it.
If you are up for it you can try to comment Suppress=DevGraphics and set UseOpenGLDebug=True
then copy the log into our pastebin: pastebin/
So we can see if there is anything obvious.
Also you can try to change some of the options like UseShaderDrawParameters and UseBindlessTextures as some of these seem to cause trouble with some graphics card drivers
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
rdy2bz
OldUnreal Member

Post by rdy2bz »

That's an artifact from antialiasing, you find that in several other games, too. Try deactivating AA and see if the lines disappear.
Jules
OldUnreal Member

Post by Jules »

Hello, could I ask someone for a suggestion in trying to figure out why the 64-bit version of the game crashes at the beginning? I've managed to get the 32-bit version to work just fine (I had, however, some serious problems getting the audio to work, though luckily I was able to get SwFMOD to function in the end. OpenAL and FMOD both keep not working), but the 64-bit version simply refuses to work with no apparent explanations. Here's what I've tried so far:

I've tried adding the -log parameter, but I get no additional output other than "Illegal instruction (core dumped)". I've tried adding the -nosound option, but the error persisted. I've finally tried running the binary in GDB, and this is what I got:

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
0x00007ffff75dd99a in appInit(wchar_t const*, wchar_t const*, FMalloc*, FOutputDevice*, FOutputDeviceError*, FFeedbackContext*, FFileManager*, FConfigCache* (*)(), int) () from ./Core.so

If it's helpful, I've also tried checking if my system were missing any shared library needed by the game by running

ldd -r UnrealLinux.bin | grep -i "not"

however, nothing seems to be missing.

I have enough technical knowledge to solve some minor problems myself, but I really don't know where to start here.

What's really confusing me is that I've simultaneously installed the recently-released 469c patch for UT99, and everything there works straight out of the box - both the 32- and 64-bit versions with OpenAL audio. I'd really appreciate some advice!
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

Jules wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:41 pm "Illegal instruction (core dumped)".
What's your CPU? Smirf is probably using some new-ish instruction sets like AVX2 or later in Unreal.
rdy2bz
OldUnreal Member

Post by rdy2bz »

I get a '404 page not found' for all of those links. I guess the repo is private or you need to register or something?
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

rdy2bz wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:16 pm I get a '404 page not found' for all of those links. I guess the repo is private or you need to register or something?
Github is often lazy with their error codes and give 404 (File not found on the server) when the resource exists but the one requesting it has no rights. In many cases the error should have been 403 forbidden. (File exists, but server refused to send it)

In this case I get the same error, and I think I should have access there.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

rdy2bz wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:16 pm I get a '404 page not found' for all of those links. I guess the repo is private or you need to register or something?
Unreal-testing is a private repo. In order to see those links you need to have tester access.

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Jules
OldUnreal Member

Post by Jules »

tlk wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:27 pm
What's your CPU? Smirf is probably using some new-ish instruction sets like AVX2 or later in Unreal.
This is the output I'm getting by running lscpu:

It seems like my CPU only has support for AVX - I take it that's why the 64-bit build doesn't work?
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

Jules wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:48 am

It seems like my CPU only has support for AVX - I take it that's why the 64-bit build doesn't work?
that's only my conjecture about a possible instruction set requirement. I had an "illegal instruction" with an older CPU than I have now (which also only went up to AVX1), but Smirf never got back to me in that bugreport. I think it's been reported here on the forums back in April '21. Since then I've got me a 5600X. Real life flows faster than OldUnreal bug fixes/releases come out))
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Unreal delivers this cutting-edge realism on computers using a Pentium 166 or higher. And for those of you lucky enough to have a Pentium II, MMX technology or a video accelerator, the Unreal realms will become your reality. ;)
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Jules
OldUnreal Member

Post by Jules »

tlk wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:53 am
Jules wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:48 am

that's only my conjecture about a possible instruction set requirement. I had an "illegal instruction" with an older CPU than I have now (which also only went up to AVX1), but Smirf never got back to me in that bugreport. I think it's been reported here on the forums back in April '21. Since then I've got me a 5600X. Real life flows faster than OldUnreal bug fixes/releases come out))
I see, thanks for telling me about this. If this is indeed the problem, I suppose I can live without the 64-bit version...after all, I can get the 32-bit one to run just fine.
curls
OldUnreal Member

Post by curls »

I'm running 227i on linux (proton/wine). I guess I should install a fresh copy on a Win10 machine and just transfer it over.

How much of a difference will I really see? I imagine the biggest most important thing is server comparability.

I should probably update to post results though tbh since I'm running AMD/Linux + running it under proton.
LupertEverett

Post by LupertEverett »

So I gave it a quick test on my Fedora Linux installation, applied directly to a "clean" installation of Unreal Gold.

I am not sure if it is specific to me but so far, these happened:

- My woes with OpenAL has returned, as the game was unable to find ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem, even though the necessary files were in the System folder. This happened with both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Then I tried the other sound driver (SwFMod I think), and it gave out a similar error. I think the complementary .u file is missing, but I'm not sure. Eventually I have resorted to -nosound
- Once I managed to open up the game, for some reason it loaded EntryII instead of flyby. And all I was able to do in the map was to jump and shoot, rest of the controls didn't work. And every time I opened up the game again, the settings would reset to their original values. Though I think this is caused by...
- Every time I try to quit the game from the menu, I get the prompt, press OK and.... nothing happens. I am back in the map, except now I cannot open the menu at all. I can still jump and shoot though, funnily enough. The only way to quit now I think is to kill the process, which also probably prevents the game from saving the new configuration.

Originally I thought that it was something I messed up in Manjaro Linux, but now I've switched to Fedora, and made a clean installation, yet the exact same things happened, I have no idea... And yet on Windows, the patch works pretty nice. Actually, the Windows version works nicely on Linux too.
curls
OldUnreal Member

Post by curls »

Don't know if having a Nvidia card would cause anything, but if you have one; Fedora love their FOSS and it takes a shit when you want to use nvidia. S+ tier distro otherwise. Manjaro is not so stable.

I installed 227j through wine, tried it on Pop_OS and dumped it onto SteamOS and I can't really replicate the issue with or without proton. I'm using OpenGL with FMod. OpenAL seems to have no issues either.

Note that Fedora and Manjaro uses Pulseaudio. From what I remember Pop and SteamOS both use pipewire for audio, so this could be an issue with Pulseaudio on linux. Could also be a matter of hardware, Realtek works like shit on pretty much every OS in existance.

Probably easiest to just run it through Wine/Proton if that works, since I really doubt it'll have any gains.
joeydonbaker
OldUnreal Member

Post by joeydonbaker »

Hello, since updating to 227j public release, my security.ini for any new players that join the server, the PlayerIP= doesn't have an IP any more. Example below:

LogList=(PlayerNames="Player",PlayerIP="",ClientID="-1989172854",ClientIdentNr="1796994086")
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

LupertEverett wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:05 pm - My woes with OpenAL has returned, as the game was unable to find ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem, even though the necessary files were in the System folder. This happened with both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Then I tried the other sound driver (SwFMod I think), and it gave out a similar error. I think the complementary .u file is missing, but I'm not sure. Eventually I have resorted to -nosound
What does the log output when you start the game? There was a problem with one of the libraries which had to be deleted so the OS would use the system's default.
LupertEverett wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:05 pm - Once I managed to open up the game, for some reason it loaded EntryII instead of flyby. And all I was able to do in the map was to jump and shoot, rest of the controls didn't work. And every time I opened up the game again, the settings would reset to their original values. Though I think this is caused by...
What's the content of Unreal.ini on either System or System64 (the folder from which you launch the game)?
LupertEverett wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:05 pm - Every time I try to quit the game from the menu, I get the prompt, press OK and.... nothing happens. I am back in the map, except now I cannot open the menu at all. I can still jump and shoot though, funnily enough. The only way to quit now I think is to kill the process, which also probably prevents the game from saving the new configuration.

Originally I thought that it was something I messed up in Manjaro Linux, but now I've switched to Fedora, and made a clean installation, yet the exact same things happened, I have no idea... And yet on Windows, the patch works pretty nice. Actually, the Windows version works nicely on Linux too.
Indeed, that does sound strange. Not even writing "quit" on the console work?
joeydonbaker wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:49 pm Hello, since updating to 227j public release, my security.ini for any new players that join the server, the PlayerIP= doesn't have an IP any more. Example below:

LogList=(PlayerNames="Player",PlayerIP="",ClientID="-1989172854",ClientIdentNr="1796994086")
Sounds like you want to host a server, isn't it? I'm ignorant on all things UnrealIntegrity so someone else could help you better than me.

LupertEverett

Post by LupertEverett »

Neon_Knight wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:31 am What does the log output when you start the game? There was a problem with one of the libraries which had to be deleted so the OS would use the system's default.
Lemme just post the contents of UnrealLinux.log after the crash here:
► Show Spoiler
Neon_Knight wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:31 am What's the content of Unreal.ini on either System or System64 (the folder from which you launch the game)?
Contents of UnrealLinux.ini:
► Show Spoiler
Neon_Knight wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:31 am Indeed, that does sound strange. Not even writing "quit" on the console work?
Running quit on the console resulted in a similar behavior. It still didn't exit the game. Though if I run the game from the console, I am able to use CTRL + C, then it closes, and saves a log.

I'll be posting the said log in here, just in case:
► Show Spoiler
rdy2bz
OldUnreal Member

Post by rdy2bz »

To me that looks like there is some path errors, for example it doesn't find 'UnrealShare.u' that should be located at the (32bit) System folder. Also it seems to not find the texture folder where NailFX.utx should be. I bet the OpenAL issues has the same cause.
The first thing I'd check was if your user that runs Unreal has permissions to all those files. Next, I'd double check if those files are where they should be in a clean install.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

"Nail"FX, that's a good one lol.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I'm sorry that I haven't been very active in the last time, if there is still some (Linux) issues, let me know.
And yes, 64bit version uses AVX2, although existing for a very long time now (2013) it still seems some CPU do not support it :(

As for the hassle with needing wine to get the files from the installer, sorry, didn't mean to take longer for 227k for which I planned to release also as archive such as bz2 or so then.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.

Return to “Unreal 227”