For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

(227j/469b) Certain songs/tracks sound weird

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Eternus
OldUnreal Member

(227j/469b) Certain songs/tracks sound weird

Post by Eternus »

Well, hello there; the name may not look familiar, but it's Insidious/Insidigaze here.

It seems I've got a few audio problems; basically, certain songs like "Bounds of Foundry," "Nightvision," and the "Flight Castle" theme sound kind of... weird, on my end.

In the video above, which uses OpenAL, you can hear that certain instruments in "Bounds of Foundry" are kind of "exaggerated," for lack of a better term, "Nightvision" has some unusual noises in the middle, and "Flight Castle" seems to have some weird "radio feedback" effect near the end; these minor issues also apply to the updated OpenAL drivers for 227i and 436 in the forums, and the drivers for both versions of 469.

In this video, I am using FMOD; as you can see, instrumentation also sounds way off or "exaggerated" as well. This may also sound similar to the stock OpenAL and FMOD drivers for 227i; Cluster also seems to have this same issue in 469.

The only tracks or songs that I've noticed that have abnormalities like this are the ones that you see in the videos.

My OpenAL and FMOD .ini settings for 227j:
[ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
ALDevice=DefaultDevice
OutputRate=48000Hz
SampleRate=48000Hz
SoundVolume=128
SpeechVolume=128
MusicVolume=255
EffectsChannels=64
AmbientFactor=0.700000
DopplerFactor=0.010000
bSoundAttenuate=True
MusicInterpolation=SPLINE
MusicDsp=DSP_ALL
MusicPanSeparation=50
MusicStereoMix=70
MusicAmplify=0
EmulateOldReverb=True
OldReverbIntensity=1.000000
ViewportVolumeIntensity=1.000000
ReverbIntensity=1.000000
UseAutoSampleRate=False
UseSpeechVolume=True
UseOriginalUnreal=True
UseDigitalMusic=True
UseReverb=True
UseHRTF=Enable
ProbeDevicesOnly=False
PreferredDevice=
MusicStereoAngle=30
DetailStats=False
DetectedDevices=OpenAL Soft on Speakers (Realtek Audio)

[FMODAudioDrv.FMODAudioDevice]
FMODDevices=DefaultDevice
FMODOutputs=DSOUND
UseOriginalUnreal=True
SoundVolume=192
UseReverb=True
AmbientFactor=0.700000
UseHardwareChannels=False
HardwareChannels=32
MusicVolume=192
MusicPanSeparation=0.800000
UseDigitalMusic=True
Channels=64
UseCDMusic=False
OutputRate=44100Hz
Speakers=Stereo
bSoundAttenuate=False
DopplerSpeed=6500
BufferSize=-1
ProbeDevicesOnly=False

UT99:
[ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
UseSpeechVolume=True
MusicVolume=255
SoundVolume=208
ALDevice=DefaultDevice
PreferredDevice=
UseHRTF=Enable
ViewportVolumeIntensity=1.000000
DetailStats=False
ReverbIntensity=1.000000
UseReverb=True
OldReverbIntensity=1.000000
EmulateOldReverb=True
MusicAmplify=0
MusicStereoAngle=30
MusicStereoMix=70
MusicPanSeparation=80
MusicDsp=DSP_ALL
MusicInterpolation=SPLINE
ProbeDevicesOnly=False
UseAutoSampleRate=False
OutputRate=48000Hz
DopplerFactor=0.010000
bSoundAttenuate=False
AmbientFactor=0.700000
UseDigitalMusic=True
EffectsChannels=64
SampleRate=48000Hz
SpeechVolume=208
DetectedDevices=OpenAL Soft on Speakers (Realtek Audio)

[Cluster.ClusterAudioSubsystem]
UseCDMusic=True
UseDigitalMusic=True
CDMusicVolumeFactor=1.000000
MusicVolume=160
SoundVolume=208
EffectsChannels=16
AudioDeviceGuid=
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Re: (227j/469b) Certain songs/tracks sound weird

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Weird as compared to what? Galaxy? Galaxy has a broken implementation of s3m which effects screamtracker 3 modules such as k_vision. I think the root cause was down to the fact that it treats all modules as .it despite s3m (and others) actually being different.

If it sounds the same as when playing via other players such as https://support.xmplay.com/files_view.php?file_id=685 (which supports direct UMX opening) then what you're used to was galaxy's broken implementation
Eternus
OldUnreal Member

Post by Eternus »

[]KAOS[]Casey wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:14 pm Weird as compared to what? Galaxy? Galaxy has a broken implementation of s3m which effects screamtracker 3 modules such as k_vision. I think the root cause was down to the fact that it treats all modules as .it despite s3m (and others) actually being different.

If it sounds the same as when playing via other players such as https://support.xmplay.com/files_view.php?file_id=685 (which supports direct UMX opening) then what you're used to was galaxy's broken implementation
I'm not sure I understand; I've even played the songs in a module player like OpenMPT, and they sound "normal" to me (i.e. Galaxy).
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

OpenMPT is probably not the best way to experience tracks in the first place though.

but i guess there might be differences. But casey is right, galaxy isn't the best and is very finnicky in the playback to say the least. At least Unreal's implementation is. It often drops certain instruments. Like Dreams Untrue for example.

If you're on unix systems anytime I have to recommend mikmod in playing back tracker music. But on windows I used xmplay usually.
Eternus
OldUnreal Member

Post by Eternus »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:09 am OpenMPT is probably not the best way to experience tracks in the first place though.

but i guess there might be differences. But casey is right, galaxy isn't the best and is very finnicky in the playback to say the least. At least Unreal's implementation is. It often drops certain instruments. Like Dreams Untrue for example.

If you're on unix systems anytime I have to recommend mikmod in playing back tracker music. But on windows I used xmplay usually.
Well, I'm using XMPlay now, and things sound more clearer and certain more details pop out as well, but not as exaggerated as OpenAL or FMOD, and I'm pretty sure that "Bounds of Foundry," "Nightvision" and "Dig" are not supposed to sound like how they do in the videos I posted.

Any other suggestions? Do I need to change any options in my OpenAL renderer? I would like to stay with OpenAL because of better 3D audio support (HRTF), and I don't want to switch to FMOD or Galaxy.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Honestly, because of problems with some custom mods I usually never use fmod/openal on ut at all and I used to rather stay with fmod on unreal side of things. I suppose the answer is that there is no perfect one so far then. I don't know how far you'll get with adjusting it. I am not an expert on the audio drivers at all.
Eternus
OldUnreal Member

Post by Eternus »

Oh, well; I guess I will just have to deal with it. I appreciate the help, though; thanks, everyone!

Return to “Unreal 227”