For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[RELEASED] The Descent: An Unreal Singleplayer Collaborative Adventure

Unreal Mod related boards can be found here. Missing one? Let me know.
Stead-Z
OldUnreal Member

[RELEASED] The Descent: An Unreal Singleplayer Collaborative Adventure

Post by Stead-Z »

The Soup Kitchen in association with UnrealSP.org presents...

You were approached by the Do'gradji family with the pleaded request that you rescue their child from a mysterious location known as "The Forbidden Caves". As a highly esteemed mercenary you wouldn't normally accept such a petty job, but one look in their heartbroken eyes told you this was no place for a child - plus the advance deposit is nothing to sniff at!
Information surrounding these enigmatic "Forbidden Caves" is little-to-none, but the Nali are notoriously secretive; what strange and dark secrets could possibly be hiding down there?

Finally here in glorious 1.0 release candidate form - The Descent is a 12 map single player campaign like no other! Featuring the work of 10 collaborators, this pack boasts an exciting array of underground locales, custom content and varied gameplay all thrown into the mix.

Downloads

Screenshots

Credits
alternativeprojects - Map contributor
ebd - Map contributor, programming, co-ordination
Dannster - Map contributor
Krull0r - Map contributor, programming, sound design
nikosv - Map contributor, terrain/cave design for connecting segments
pla - Map contributor
Semfry - Map contributor
Skywolf - Map contributor
SteadZ - Campaign curator/designer, map contributor
yrex - Map contributor

Special Thanks
ividyon - The initial spark that started off this crazy thing!
83r - Testing/feedback
Rayne - Testing/feedback
Xanious - The idea of checkpoints between the segments; testing/feedback
G4lactic - Suggestions + support
The ISV Clan - For their coop testing sessions
The 227 Team - For developing the awesome 227 patch and helping out with code issues - you guys are unreal!

Additional Notes
This will only work in Unreal patched to 227i/227j, no plans to port to other platforms at present.

The campaign has been tested in both SP and Coop, and we are not aware of any outstanding issues at present, however - due to the technically complex nature of some of the levels - unexpected crashes may occur: save regularly!

More info can be found in the ReadMe file, however I just want to take the chance to say how happy I am that this collaborative event turned out to be such a success - went into this expecting 1 or 2 people to submit content and was overwhelmed to have 10 submissions (albeit one my own!) to stitch together. We might have had a few bumps in the road along the way but what we've ended up with is absolutely something to be proud of - hope you all enjoy playing through!
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Re: [RELEASED] The Descent: An Unreal Singleplayer Collaborative Adventure

Post by Kajgue »

Woo! I have to get around to playing this now. thumbsup
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Snypa
OldUnreal Member

Post by Snypa »

I'mah gonna try it now. Thanks for the new content
AndriHK96

Post by AndriHK96 »

Hello. I have a problem starting the campaign. I downloaded the package and transferred the files to the specific folders of the game, as I have done many other times with other campaigns and maps of other users; but as soon as I try to start any map of the campaign, both from explorer and from the game itself, the session crashes and I get this error message:

General Protection Fault!
History: ULinkerLoad :: VerifyImport <- ValidateImports <- ULinkerLoad :: Verify <- ULinkerLoad :: ULinkerLoad <- UObject :: GetPackageLinker <- ULinkerLoad :: VerifyImport <- ValidateImports <- ULinkerLoad :: ULinkerLoad <:: ULinkerLoad <:: ULinkerLoad <:: ULinkerLoad < UObject :: GetPackageLinker <- UObject :: StaticLoadObject <- (Engine.Level None.MyLevel C: \ Unreal \ Maps \ TD-00-Begin.unr) <- VerifyPackages <- UGameEngine :: LoadMap <- LocalMapURL <- UGameEngine: : Browse <- UGameEngine :: Init <- InitEngine

I use the 227i patch for the game, but strangely it doesn't start. Have any of you else had this problem?

Too bad, I was so excited to play a new personalized campaign after a long time and the enthusiasm was immediately burned. :(
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

any time a player joins a server i am hosting with the map running,
the server will crash with this error.
both are running a version of 227j(24)

Critical: ShouldRepProps
Critical: FActorChannel::ReplicateActor
Critical: ULevel::ServerTickClient
Critical: ULevel::TickNetServer
Critical: UpdateNetServer
Critical: ULevel::Tick
Critical: (Level TD-00-Begin.MyLevel NetMode=NM_ListenServer)
Critical: TickLevel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Critical: (ClientCam Pos=(0,0,0) Rot=(0,0,0))
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Exiting.
Log: Log file closed, 01/14/22 03:09:45
Stead-Z
OldUnreal Member

Post by Stead-Z »

Does this just happen on TD-00-Begin, or the other maps too?

There was a crash on that level found by some users in 227j relating to a texture, however this looks like something else (and aforementioned issue was already fixed by 227 team)
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

Stead-Z wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:41 pm Does this just happen on TD-00-Begin, or the other maps too?

There was a crash on that level found by some users in 227j relating to a texture, however this looks like something else (and aforementioned issue was already fixed by 227 team)
all these crash on join:
TD-00-Begin,
TD-01-Ebd.unr,
TD-02-Pla.unr ,
TD-03-Skywolf.unr
TD-04-Nikosv.unr
TD-05-Semfry.unr

TD-06-Krull0r.unr works
7 works
8 works
9 works
10 works

11 crashes.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

I got to to run on a different server setup, however with alot of crashes still.
however i traced down the "problem" to be the gamerules code T3hDescentRules running with the maps ,

this block of the code seemed to be the cause of the server crashes:

Code: Select all

for (inv = Other.inventory; inv != none; inv = inv2)
		{
		inv2 = inv.inventory;
		inv.destroy();
		}
however that would result in the game not crashing, but you were stuck as a broken spectator.
i think it due to this:

Code: Select all

Other.PlayerRestartState = 'PlayerWalking';
but at that point i didn't want to keep debuging line by line.

so to get it crash free and playable, I had to totally disable the gamerule call and modify the package.

also deleting all the players inventory ( also at random during play in some maps) is detrimental to gameplay. in my case it interfered with other inventory based,hud objects and listener inventory actors the player carries, and broke gameplay.
Stead-Z
OldUnreal Member

Post by Stead-Z »

That "playerwalking" line is only relevant for one of the states in the GameRules actor, said state only being used in one of the levels (TD-05-Semfry) to force the vrikers-style start (which still doesn't work right for some reason anyway)

The inventory removal is necessary for the campaign to be experienced the way it's meant to be played, perhaps in the 1.1 update I'll rewrite the gamerules to remove specific items rather than all inventory instead so it doesn't conflict with server mods...
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Stead-Z,

I installed the game Descent yesterday, and started my first playthrough. Everything worked properly until the game arrived at level 4, when I got the following error:

Failed to enter C:\Unreal\Maps\TD-04-Nikosv.unr: Can't find file for package Sacred.

Just in case, I opened the system console and entered: open TD-04-Nikosv.unr, and got the same error.

I'm playing on 227i, using OpenGL. I tried using D3D9, but got the same error. Also, I'm running Windows 11.

I launched level 5, and it worked. So, the error has only happened on level 4, so far.

What should I do?

Fred
Stead-Z
OldUnreal Member

Post by Stead-Z »

Aha! Good catch, will ensure that's included in the 1.1 release.

Sacred is a music file from RtNP, which I/we completely missed as being a RtNP-only file apparently - here's a quick link to save you downloading a bunch of things to try and get it: Sacred.umx

Sorry again about that, hope you enjoy the rest of your playthrough and let me know if you come across any more issues!
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Thanks, Stead-Z, I installed the Sacred music file as you advised, and the Nikosv.unr map launched as designed. So far, so good.

Fred
BIr4
OldUnreal Member

Post by BIr4 »

TD-03-Skywolf.unr crashed on being. (in UG-227J)

In 227i the map run normal.
Jules
OldUnreal Member

Post by Jules »

BIr4 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:23 pm Image
TD-03-Skywolf.unr crashed on being. (in UG-227J)

In 227i the map run normal.
I'm getting the exact same problem. Nothing of the sort happens in 227i. It might be worth looking into this, most people who're going to play the mappack from now on will probably all be using the latest patch.
Stead-Z
OldUnreal Member

Post by Stead-Z »

I don't seem to be able to edit the opening post, however I'm very happy to announce that the 1.1 version has been released and can be found on the moddb page!

Huge thanks to Semfry for his diligent work to bring this to fruition along with the help of some of the other collaborators and everyone who brought issues to our attention :D

Some notes on (minor) issues which persist:

- In 227i certain sounds may not play, or play incorrectly on some maps. Changing sound renderer can help. Using 227j and later should fix this.

- In 227j there can be some unintended enemy infighting on one or two maps, however, it doesn't seem to happen anywhere important.

- On the final map punctuation doesn't show on some messages, and certain subtitles don't show. The credits can also have display bugs, although each image should show for at least a short time. Unfortunately a fix couldn't be found.

Thanks to everyone who has played so far and hopefully this update will help you to relive the experience in an even better way!

Download:
BIr4
OldUnreal Member

Post by BIr4 »

Thank's alot. Problem solved.

...Nice project. thumbsup

Return to “Unreal Mods”