For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

JJ3D character modding

Unreal Mod related boards can be found here. Missing one? Let me know.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

JJ3D character modding

Post by luke11685 »

Is it neccessary to extract 3D animations frame per frame just like that in order to swap character models and character textures? Anyway is it possible to add some playable characters such as Spaz and Lori?Could it be too complicated?I also want to know how to make new maps in JJ3D on Unreal Editor 1? And the last the last thing I want to know how to import animations for example walking through walls just like in UT4/Unreal Tournament 2016(from Unreal Engine 4)? Also I want to ask you why static meshes(character models) had no skeletal meshes?
Last edited by luke11685 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: JJ3D character modding

Post by Hellkeeper »

I'm not sure I remember this well, so I might be wrong here, but I think the problem is:

- Meshes were not skeletal in UE1 for a long time. I think support for skeletons was added during UT99's life.
- Animations were made by having all the frames of the animation in a single 3d file. Each frame was the same model in a different position and with a name indicating its place in the sequence. So an animation was a single file containing all the frames needed and with all the frames numbered. An animation was put into the game by importing each animation separately and by reading the sequence in order, the engine would make the animation (just like an animated movie, but in 3d).

So when exporting an animation you're exporting all the frames of the anim.
To import your animation you have to do just that: a file with all the different frames of the animation. You can, I think, make your model and add a skeleton, but it will only be useful to you, as it will make posing the mesh in all the successive frames quicker. It also means you can't use a set of animations with a different model than the one for which it was made. (This is only possible with skeleton support by the engine as the model and the skeleton+its animations are somewhat separate.)

Also, models are not static-meshes. Static-meshes are, as the name suggest, static, their polygons never move. You're talking about what we'd call, for lack of a better word, a normal "mesh" or a "model".

EDIT: To make maps for the game, you need to learn how to use the editor and how JJ3D's specific actors work. Actors are pieces of script that control everything except the geometry. This includes enemies, weapons, etc.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must construct additional pylons.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

It sounds like making 2D animations.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

If I already exported(that was extracted before by using Unreal Model Viewer) each every animation per frame should I export it as .obj files or .a3d/.d3d unreal meshes animated models? Should I mark export to UCC folder structure in Blender? How can I pack models? Should I use UCC.exe for that?
Last edited by luke11685 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redgrape501
OldUnreal Member

Post by redgrape501 »

I could see potential in this.

Heck, maybe we could see Jazz and all his friends in UE1 including Spaz, Lori, Razz (from the cut content of The Secret Files), Eva Earlong and Devan Shell in some kind of community character pack.

Return to “Unreal Mods”