For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[BETA] Hud Scaling Mod for Unreal/Unreal Gold.

Unreal Mod related boards can be found here. Missing one? Let me know.
FunSize
OldUnreal Member

[BETA] Hud Scaling Mod for Unreal/Unreal Gold.

Post by FunSize »

Heyo! FunSize here, a long time lurker here to announce something I believe the game has needed. HUD Scaling. This improves visibility on monitors that are higher resolution than when the game was initially released. Since the elements and text are tiny on modern screens, I have taken steps to rectify this. I'm posting an early beta of this mod here to gauge community response and gain feedback.

The Engine doesn't actually support text scaling, so a lot of the fonts have been changed to accommodate bigger screens. (Don't worry, they still feel like Unreal.). Here's a few screens of the mod in action:

Features:
-Scales the HUD of the original Unreal to readable sizes on modern displays
-Supports every default Unreal HUD Option (Changing the Hud mode in the settings changes the HUD mode in the mod)
-Quality of life improvements on the HUD (Saying a message is above the health bar for instance.)

Upcoming Features:
-User defined scaling amounts. (Currently the HUD is only available as a 3x scaling)
-Other options (will be off by default to maintain vanilla look/feel) such as crosshair that changes color based on health, independent crosshair scaling (in case you don't want something huge in the middle of your screen.)

How to use:
1. Extract the zip into your Unreal/System directory.
2. Add the "3X hud scaling" mutator to the game.
3. Play!

Known Issues/Bugs:
-Scaling can't be done on multiplayer servers as it is a mutator currently
-Text placement can be wonky on other hud modes (slightly cut off)
-Applying the mutator to a multiplayer server currently would scale EVERYONE's HUD (I will make user-set scaling in the future)
-Ammo counter numbers are still original size (working on a font for that)

Otherwise, the mod's in a working state that lets you play through the singleplayer or bot matches with a bigger HUD. I look forward to your guys' feedback on how I can improve this mod and fix it to be as vanilla as possible while being legible on modern screens.

And now finally, a download link:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajf6OOTP8JWjg_90eag ... g?e=hBNxpB

That's all from me for now, have fun y'all!
Last edited by FunSize on Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sade1212

Re: [BETA] Hud Scaling Mod for Unreal/Unreal Gold.

Post by sade1212 »

Fantastic work! This really improves the game at modern resolutions. Unfortunately, it seems to cause me to black screen during the introduction to Return to Na Pali.
Retrograde_i486

Post by Retrograde_i486 »

Registered to say thank you for this, helps a ton when playing at 3440x14400!
lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Post by lowenz »

Any news?
The task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen, but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees - E.S.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

really awesome mod, very useful for playing in 1080p or higher :)

The only thing I wasn't all too fond of is the font used for the bigger sized text, I know uwindowfonts.utx has some bigger sized fonts, maybe you should look into those for appropriate big fonts?
Last edited by Turboman. on Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FunSize
OldUnreal Member

Post by FunSize »

Sorry y'all, been a gone while with life. Unfortunately about the bigger fonts, the only ones that exist are the Green Text, which doesn't have the entire alphabet and symbols, and the red text has the same limitations. And as for na-pali, I'll see what I can do. I plan to have another update out for this soon.
FunSize
OldUnreal Member

Post by FunSize »

Alright guys! Here's a quick fix build, well quick fix for me at least. I overhauled and re-programmed a lot of everything. The crosshairs can now be scaled indepenently of the Hud, meaning you can have big hud but small crosshair. There is configuration in user.ini to make it so you can choose custom crosshair colors, scaling, and such. The mod now works on Return to Na-Pali, meaning you can use the CAR all you want. Pretty pink Crosshair time! NOTE: The Hud fonts still aren't "unreal", but until I can find some better fonts that work properly it's all I've really got. The fonts available in the base game are missing characters or just aren't big enough. You can go ahead and grab the new version here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajf6OOTP8JWjhI49X6F ... g?e=EA7rBa
Note: By default this adds stuff to the bottom of User.ini. I don't have a settings menu (yet hopefully) so as of right now you need to go into your User.ini to change scaling settings/Colors.
lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Post by lowenz »

"HudScale=2
useScale=True"

But it doens't seem to be working :/
Last edited by lowenz on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen, but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees - E.S.
lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Post by lowenz »

Got this result (2560x1440)
Using this: https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-direc ... cbu-and-dx (Unreal 227i)

Last edited by lowenz on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Post by lowenz »

After a new map loading it seems working BUT there are still some misalignment issues (I'm using the D3D11 renderer):

Last edited by lowenz on Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Post by lowenz »

Well, it's working right with the "zero" HUD preset of Unreal.
The misalignment happens with the other presets.

Last edited by lowenz on Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FunSize
OldUnreal Member

Post by FunSize »

Thanks for the feedback, I'll see if I can get the alignment working on the other presets, could have sworn they worked properly the last time I tested them.
SolivaN
OldUnreal Member

Post by SolivaN »

Thanks for you work dude, there's another way to solve this with Peixoto's patches. But I don't like to depend of external APPs. And didn't work for me because Peixoto's way need to set Unreal resolution to 960x540, but I don't see this res on my game.

Source: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=53121

So thanks for you work dude.
I hope that you can fix the fonts problem soon.

See ya!
lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Post by lowenz »

Thanks for the feedback, I'll see if I can get the alignment working on the other presets, could have sworn they worked properly the last time I tested them.
Any news?

Return to “Unreal Mods”