For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I hope you'll get to post your most recent findings too!

Either way, update on the Unreal beta situation:

Because I heard nothing for a while now, I directly contacted Epic about it myself. Because I know how to intepret these things myself, what it comes down to is this:

They cannot at this time allow for some kind of official beta release thing, as in they will not approve public sharing of a full pre-release version as that might have problems with potential copyright owners/things that aren't checked with the individual owners. I suppose because Epic alone doesn't own Unreal as the game and there are similar reasons I guess for the source code.

I did give some suggestions to alleviate this/get around it, so we'll see. But as it looks now, private-not-public checking of the beta is possible. Just not sharing it whole as-is with the public. This is just the first step too. We'll have to see if the person in question has hold onto it still.

If I add everything together it means that someone like me will be allowed to receive a full beta version, but not share it with public. But given previous arrangements, I also assume that I would be free to port anything away like usual. And still allowed to share the version privately. Just not hosted for full public consumption at this time.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Post by Gamesharder »

That is really exciting news. I hope you'll succedd on this!
I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that we've been waiting for something like this to happen. ;D

It's almost the end of the month and I found some interesting stuff as Leo mentioned.

I wanna start with a beta skin for the Grenade Launcher from RTNP:
It was new to me because we haven't really seen a beta skin for the grenade launcher, instead we've seen the beta rocket launcher and CAR.
Also look at the ammo icon, looks like the combination of the rifle and the CAR rifle's ammo lol

Some beta Unreal Tournament from a japanese magazine "Play Online":
ImageImage
The half-naked Necris skins were also new to me, but Leo pointed out the skins are still in the game files.

An early skin for the Bio Rifle. First time I've seen this as well.

Un unknown Decayed styled map:
ImageImage
It seems familiar... but I don't know which map is this.
I wish we've got more Decayed maps, not just for UT but for Unreal in general...

Anyways, check out the MEGA folder for the rest of the UT magazine shots.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

It feels like proto training day or something, the map that ended up in ut2003. It was probably a small dm map then.

I suppose it all depends on my contact to pop up again. Perhaps I should have taken this action myself before instead of waiting, but I dunno.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

So much material... 🤤 I need a day off in order to update the Unreal Wiki.

Or I could use some extra help. 🤔 I can't do everything alone.
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

What do you need help with?
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

First of all, getting the material here in the right sections:
https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/Unreal_(video_game)
https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/Unreal_M ... to_Na_Pali

The media gallery for Unreal has its own page:

https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/Unreal_( ... e)/Gallery

That for a start. Then it's just a matter of getting the stuff in the right pages.

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Neon_Knight wrote:The media gallery for Unreal has its own page:
I'll update the pictures over this weekend.

I wanted to discuss something here.
So there's this picture from (I think) the very first Unreal website which dates back to 1996:

I find this one very obscure because no other texture packs look like this. Not even remotely.
After some speculations, my thoughts are that this is a very early Extreme map. Now I know Extreme came into the list of maps early like Morose, but what if this was an even earlier Extreme, from 1996? The textures look very "futuristic" to me.
If it didn't say Unreal, I'd believe it's a shot from different game (which actually might be?)
Could it be from that unreleased Unreal Engine game, The Circle?
What do y'all think?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

That is definitely Unreal not Circle. We have all the circle textures and shit and they don't look like this, circle was more fantasy/abstract besides and didn't feature spaceships.

Also, extreme was seen as early as early 1997 even before the reboot thing. Morose as such came only during the reboot but when they still had the status bar, though siobhan and part of seti are predecessors to morose in some areas.

One of the textures seen there exist in the Skaarj package just differently colored. So indeed this is most likely an earlier version of the Skaarj texture set, obviously also more egyptian themed, possibly inspired by stargate. Now we don't know whether this is Extreme as such or some other map but its skaarj themed indeed.

Its like part temple though so it makes me think, maybe not Extreme outright. Then again it was at one point supposed to have more maps than what we got in the released game.

So yea this might be even from the times of the skaarj with metal shorts period even. It might be that old and that's how the skaarj set looked like or a variant of it.

But yea really check skaarj.utx and notice that texture, it is there just different.

The one mystery to me is the shot that came with the may 1997 monsters leak, y know the cut down version that had the custom maps fred and skaarj. That leaked back then at one point in early 1998 together with the unreal bible. This is why both the bible and the maps have 1998 date despite the version being earlier and the pictures for the bible lost so that's why it was most likely resaved.

The bible predates that version still but is still partially reflected in the monster set and weapons etc as unreal bible was still written before the reboot, making it early 1997 actually.

But yea remember the may 1997 leak thing from early 1998 (before the big beta leak) had that screenshot of another unreal engine game, which I was not able to confirm its identity with anyone else. The leak probably came via that studio, wherever this "fred" guy was working there and just quickly whipped up some showcase maps and then it somehow leaked. They probably had again just like emissary circle etc teams just the plain 0.864v and thus for testing they made those maps seeing as monsters behave. That guy must have then shared it without including the full unreal.ucx as he figured the game works without it so why increase the size if he can just show the monsters this way anyway to his friends or w/e.

EDIT: the only thing that was ever confused with Unreal from Circle was that famed "house" picture. Since no full builds of circle were preserved, we didn't see the house in action however it does exist within the recovered Circle resources as separate brushes that can be imported. And remember the full map Torg02F we never got the Unreal build to run it on, don't know if it featured the house but yea.

That house was often shown as the "unbelievably detailed" things one can do in unrealed.

EDIT2: If it was part of extreme it could have been even the skaarj generator room in very early form though.
Or the altar room.As described in unbible and that thing could be for holding artifact or something or the altar..
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Interesting.
So I looked through Skaarj.utx and you're right, there's the texture... omg
This confirms that this is the earliest Skaarj.utx and possibly a spaceship or some kind of futuristic themed map.
Leo T_C_K wrote:The one mystery to me is the shot that came with the may 1997 monsters leak
Hmm, which one? I don't remember this.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:20 pm Interesting.
So I looked through Skaarj.utx and you're right, there's the texture... omg
This confirms that this is the earliest Skaarj.utx and possibly a spaceship or some kind of futuristic themed map.
Leo T_C_K wrote:The one mystery to me is the shot that came with the may 1997 monsters leak
Hmm, which one? I don't remember this.
It was in the misc directory or something like that. One of them had the screenshot called shot1. The original distribution before the full unrealed 0.864v was recovered had it. It must have been from one of the cancelled unreal engine games, like "no immunity" or "core" seems plausible. One of those ended up being a completely different project by arjan brussee that no longer used unreal engine but still had "hints" and inspiration from it. Since the project was nothing like the original unreal engine one it is possible it came via there.

As for that, it might have been one of the things that were tied to that origin mystery thing, the dropped stuff from unreal's backstory about the connection between earth and na pali(gryphon) etc. If they were indeed going for a more stargate like thing.

Also, the floor might be a variation on that starhship.utx texture instead with those half circle lines through it. Which is a bit stargate-ish still.

now....

SKAARJ GOAULD HYBRIDS.

GGGOOOOLD
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Oh this one

Now I remember.
Isn't this just the Emissary tho?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:19 pm Oh this one

Now I remember.
Isn't this just the Emissary tho?
No.

This was there before anyone of us knew of that game AND there's no such map and textures in Emissary either.

its one of the other titles
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Gamesharder wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:26 am
Neon_Knight wrote:The media gallery for Unreal has its own page:
I'll update the pictures over this weekend.

I wanted to discuss something here.
So there's this picture from (I think) the very first Unreal website which dates back to 1996:

I find this one very obscure because no other texture packs look like this. Not even remotely.
After some speculations, my thoughts are that this is a very early Extreme map. Now I know Extreme came into the list of maps early like Morose, but what if this was an even earlier Extreme, from 1996? The textures look very "futuristic" to me.
If it didn't say Unreal, I'd believe it's a shot from different game (which actually might be?)
Could it be from that unreleased Unreal Engine game, The Circle?
What do y'all think?
Hi! I saw you were uploading the images to the gallery. Excellent!

If possible, could you upload them to the respective map pages too? Some of them may need to be created (material for finished maps for U1 and RTNP can be placed on those pages), but so far we nailed most of them. Here's the current listing: https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/Category ... ut_content

If not, I'll relocate some time to do so. This is awesome material! Thank you for uploading it in advance. 🍻

(That also reminds me that I've left a WIP automatic image classificator in the Wiki incomplete.)

Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Doing a cleanup of my docs, pics and videos, I just realized I downloaded your collection of media almost a year ago! 😱

Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Yes, I "advertised" it a year ago or two on Beta Archive, I only posted it here now.
It was still under some work back then, the magazine folder etc.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Excellent.

How much of it was uploaded to the Wiki? We've been creating pages for some missing cut content, even created a series of templates to display how cut content must be displayed in the wiki (since using the actual templates for the maps, characters, etc., was useless, a lot of that data is nonexistant, so it made better sense to do something else).

Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

A good majority of if.
I will upload screenshots to the pages, both the Unreal Gallery and for the maps.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Excellent! Do not hesitate to ask if you need help or guidance on something! I've tried to do everything as friendly as possible, but there are still rough edges to polish.

Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Not so much new stuff recently, but I updated some things:

Covers folder:
-changed the name to Covers, Posters, Strategy Guides
-uploaded the whole scanned Prima's Official Strategy Guide from archive.org

Misc folder:
-uploaded a picture of an unknown Unreal Engine game from 1997/1998 (shot1.jpg)

Alpha (1996-1997) folder:
-updated pictures by Yrex were added (Bluff3c.png & AlienStarship4c.png)

Magazines, Articles folder:
-a new page in 2000

-new pages in 1999 (3 new)

-new pages in 1998 (15 new)

-a new page in 1997

-a new page in 1996

-new pages in Unreal Tournament (14 new)
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

One of the things that strike me though, is that even though the prima strategy guide is based on a later version than the gw press one, it still has some interesting differences like outpost 3j (still called mountain fortress), having fans in the water tunnels that you have to destroy to progress.

It makes a lot more sense for the fans to be there. Who had the idea of removing that before the release version hit the shelves??!

Like was it simply because people were chickening out and drowning underwater? C'mon.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Yeah, that's interesting why they cut that out.
The GW Press Guide also mentions 2 Skaarj protecting the Queen at the last fight and also some lifts around the map (which were deleted from the release version).

makemeunreal found some beta UT footage from a 1999 E3 GameSpot video.
Around:
0:10
16:40
17:32

Not sure if it's known or not, but definitely interesting!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:18 am Yeah, that's interesting why they cut that out.
The GW Press Guide also mentions 2 Skaarj protecting the Queen at the last fight and also some lifts around the map (which were deleted from the release version).

makemeunreal found some beta UT footage from a 1999 E3 GameSpot video.
Around:
0:10
16:40
17:32

Not sure if it's known or not, but definitely interesting!
Yes you showed me the screenshot, it has ending sequence screenshot that's different and implies you actually flew to a different planet/moon. RTNP wouldn't be able to exist with this particular ending. It is similar to the original planned one but different. All the expansions that took place on Na Pali would instead be from someone else's perspective.

But either way we knew about the lifts, those are the floating platforms seen in that editor screenshot from the pc gamer supplement mag.

as for that video i don't remember seeing that particular one before.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Awesome material!

Looks like there's a vast area of the Unreal beta universe that remains to be explored...

Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

It is interesting that the prima strategy guide and the gw press have differences and yet some similarities. What is same is that fan stuff in outpost 3j, the fact that ceremony doesn't have the acerak lava room yet in both cases, but yet differs on stuff like "The Source", the gw press one having dm map descriptions, still has morbfanza, sky 14 and villa 2 (yes not even plain villa anymore, makes me wonder if morbfanza and sky 14 were also available for download just like villa2 at one point).

So yea umm sky 14 was renamed to eclipse by delacroix in his updated "division" pack while villa2f (my fixed version) was renamed to just villa (despite my protest and the fact there was a custom map named villa already thus potential for mismatch).

But yea they are basically canon maps especially when they are featured in an official strategy guide so not just restored beta maps. But stuff like Splash falls unfortunately just under the cathegory of restored beta maps.

Elsinore was btw mispelled sometimes as "Melsinore", the gw press guide only having one screenshot but the minigun passage secret was missing and there was some different texturing and also there was some more health around it seems. Btw looking up "melsinore" brings up honda m elsinore, so maybe cliff was inspired somehow lol...
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I just realize we never had sky 14 proper as the last dm sky map in what we got was "sky 12" instead. lol

I also switched it around as the "eclipse" stuff was the earlier sky dm and twillight from fusion pack is instead having features from sky 12 or sky 14..but the last version is missing.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”