For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

What is the current state of 227j?

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Re: What is the current state of 227j?

Post by Neon_Knight »

More galleries!

UMenu - Controls menu (CT-DE-ES-EN)

UMenu - Dutch

Classic Menu - Dutch

Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

To everyone wondering where the patch is- yes, I know the 2 weeks...
Unfortunately there is some unexpected trouble with the installer and I am working on it. Release ASAP!
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Make sure to check that this installed doesn't have a NULL/garbage language checked by default
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Most of the things I figured out yesterday already, right now it plain just gets stuck somewhere, but I had a lot of headache yesterday too. So i'll see today whats up.
garbel
OldUnreal Member

Post by garbel »

Take your time, it does not depend on a few days after 10 years ;D
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

True enough, but it annoys me nevertheless...
On the other hand, so many things are already done by now and we had only very minor modifications since the last internal beta so I am pretty confident that we have something usable here after all. :)
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

For clarification, when 227J releases, will it still be subject to potential hotfixes? As i'd think it's important to release those (more timely necessary bugfixes if need be) as said hotfixes, I'm still wary that some things may have gone under the radar and small remaining things could get discovered, and I think patching those small things would of course be better than waiting for the next update :O

I kind of expect that anything which the public release will yield would get that response anyway, just want to make sure :P
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

There are five more languages for a future/possible 227k to tackle (I've already contacted ElectricXIce for the Swedish files, additional help may be required for Hungarian, Czech, Norwegian and Japanese plus I want to do Argentinean Spanish as a sort of side project, lol!). And the current localizations will surely be improved over time as new features appear and lines get better translations.

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Kajgue wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:17 pm For clarification, when 227J releases, will it still be subject to potential hotfixes? As i'd think it's important to release those (more timely necessary bugfixes if need be) as said hotfixes, I'm still wary that some things may have gone under the radar and small remaining things could get discovered, and I think patching those small things would of course be better than waiting for the next update :O

I kind of expect that anything which the public release will yield would get that response anyway, just want to make sure :P
Until the installer is working we will continue to add any fixes we can provide for issues found meanwhile (there have been a very few already). Once it's out it will be the end of 227j and a hotfix release will be 227k then. That's the idea why I introduced the subversioning back then. Otherwise it will be impossible for the users to keep overview.
If ever a new version comes up, this will be probably 228 then.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Anthrax took over a big couple of fixes for WindDrv from 469 yet and Marco also did fixes for a big amount of smaller, noncritical bugs, so the additional time was not wasted.
I updated the Git repo already and will update internal forum link another last time later today with the latest files.
Installer is working now thanks to Anthrax, a very old change caused the problems with it.
Release, we are coming.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

While testing I want to see if I can tell this thingy to create correct 64b links yet :P
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Final release notes relocated here:

https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... otes/v227j

There were several changes that weren't documented in the page, which I was able to locate... "somewhere else".

I'm building a TL;DR version, but it's already a page long (for instance, the changelog is several pages long, lol!). Suggestions about what the TL;DR version should contain are welcome.

Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Neon_Knight wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:12 pm Final release notes relocated here:

https://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.ph ... otes/v227j

There were several changes that weren't documented in the page, which I was able to locate... "somewhere else".

I'm building a TL;DR version, but it's already a page long (for instance, the changelog is several pages long, lol!). Suggestions about what the TL;DR version should contain are welcome.
Looks like you're going to need a TL;DR version of the TL;DR. ;D Such a big change log.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

I tried to do my best. But yeah, TL;DR is still too long.

Then again, it's a patch that spent 10 years in the making, the changelog was going to be huge anyways.

Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Neon_Knight wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:04 am I tried to do my best. But yeah, TL;DR is still too long.

Then again, it's a patch that spent 10 years in the making, the changelog was going to be huge anyways.
TL;DR of TL;DR: "Bug fixes and speedy performance improvements" ;)

ExpEM
OldUnreal Member

Post by ExpEM »

My boss asked me to work tomorrow, I told him it was Christmas and I wanted to open my presents!
rdy2bz
OldUnreal Member

Post by rdy2bz »

There's even a bug in the changelog: you still link to the old YaBB form which turns out to be defunc by now
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

Neon_Knight wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:04 am I tried to do my best. But yeah, TL;DR is still too long.

But we can try resuming

doubt that resuming is the right word to use. Russian for example has a verb from the noun "resume" - that's what you apparently were trying to say. Don't think that English has.

Tackled until Gameplay

honestly not sure what you even trying to say here
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Oh, that's something I forgot to remove. It was a note I left in order to know where to pick up from. But I've completed the TL;DR, so it makes no sense for it to stay there.

EDIT: Also reworded the sentences atop of the TL;DR section.

Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Last batch of screenshots before release

Reworked Dutch UMenu (credits to Rubie for this one)

Classic Menu Scaling

Reworked Dutch Classic Menu (credits again to Rubie for this one)

Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

rdy2bz wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:07 pm There's even a bug in the changelog: you still link to the old YaBB form which turns out to be defunc by now
The correct link is: https://oldunreal.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=264
I can't edit it because the Wiki page can only be edited by Wiki administrators which I'm not.

Images do not load because the new forum software dislikes http:// image links. The image URLs are working.

Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Fixing that one.

Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

A first version of the installer is in testing as of now and available for the betatesters in the internal forums. Coming closer and closer! :)
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Well, you're probably wondering why you can't download Unreal Patch 227j yet. You're right asking that because it should have been released by now according to previous messages. And you probably wonder what is happening and who is to blame for the delay:

What is happening: Beta testers have taken the time to double-check on the patch and found some additional issues and optimizations to include with 227j.
Who is to blame: I am, and a few other beta testers are.

Q: You have had 9 years to test. Why are you finding issues now? Shouldn't you have tested and reported them earlier?
A: You're right there. While I have been tester for 9 years I mostly focussed on getting 227j to run great at my servers. Now 227j is nearly done I've taken the opportunity to set many other activities aside and do a lot of play/client testing as well. These have led to a few more bug reports from my side which are handled now by Team OldUnreal. Progress there is excellent and I still have the feeling that a release is nearby. But I can't give a date. Mostly because it is not my responsibility as I'm just a beta tester but also because I don't know if any critical things will be found. We are all well aware that not all bugs can be fixed and that things that are not critical can be moved to a 227k or 228 release. So not every bug report will lead to delay.

Return to “Unreal 227”