For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Port for FreeBSD, maybe?

This Board was made to give Unreal projects a home- if you need a place to discuss about your mods, campains, to offer your projects for download, to seek members for it.
Murkiness3269

Port for FreeBSD, maybe?

Post by Murkiness3269 »

I'm currently trying to get Unreal Tournament 469c (I'm actually unsure if it's 469c or the RC of 469d as I write this) to work on FreeBSD with the Linux compatibility and I feel like I'm so close to getting it to work.
I'm just having an issue with "Cannot file file ALAudio" even though ALAudio.so is under the System directory.

I can't imagine it would be too difficult to port over to FreeBSD to run natively unless there are specific Linux features the game uses? But I would doubt that since it's native for Apple Silicon and Windows as well. Might be as simple as just compiling on FreeBSD without a single edit to the source.

If there's anyway I could help, I most certainly will!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Port for FreeBSD, maybe?

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I remember zeurkous wanting that/or OpenBSD port of 227 or even plain 226 at one point, lol.

It didn't get anywhere as far as I remember.

Either way the problem is also with these projects is that the source code is not open to public and they have to supply pre-compiled binaries even though that can't and won't work on every machine running those systems lol.
Murkiness3269

Re: Port for FreeBSD, maybe?

Post by Murkiness3269 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:41 pm I remember zeurkous wanting that/or OpenBSD port of 227 or even plain 226 at one point, lol.

It didn't get anywhere as far as I remember.

Either way the problem is also with these projects is that the source code is not open to public and they have to supply pre-compiled binaries even though that can't and won't work on every machine running those systems lol.
I'm hoping they could just simply recompile on a FreeBSD machine with little or even with no code modifications.
I'm assuming they have probably used GNU tools which is easy to get on FreeBSD (BSD's (b)make is different from GNU's (g)make for example), but that's just a guess.
Maybe have to modify a few things in the build files but I imagine that might be it.

Return to “Unreal Projects”