For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal Animation series

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
mentalhunter
OldUnreal Member

Unreal Animation series

Post by mentalhunter »

Hello all,

Its been a veeeeery long time since i last posted. I even had to make a second account 3 years ago. But i finally gained access to my old account. How is everyone doing nowadays??

Anyways, i am working on an animation series which i will partly dedicade to the Unreal Universe. My question to you is, i am looking for any pictures, videos, files & other related content relating to the early stages of Unreal's pre-releases. I have been browsing a bit myself and i found stuff here and there, but it would be great if anyone knows, or has any data for me to guide me through the process and get inspired to launch this project from its feet!

Thanks in advance!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Animation series

Post by Leo T_C_K »

mentalhunter wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:57 am Hello all,

Its been a veeeeery long time since i last posted. I even had to make a second account 3 years ago. But i finally gained access to my old account. How is everyone doing nowadays??

Anyways, i am working on an animation series which i will partly dedicade to the Unreal Universe. My question to you is, i am looking for any pictures, videos, files & other related content relating to the early stages of Unreal's pre-releases. I have been browsing a bit myself and i found stuff here and there, but it would be great if anyone knows, or has any data for me to guide me through the process and get inspired to launch this project from its feet!

Thanks in advance!
I would recommend getting in touch with gamesharder who hosts possibly the largest repository of pre-release Unreal pictures now.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Hi mentalhunter!

As Leo recommended me for this, you might have seen this post I made of my image and video collection of early Unreal here:
viewtopic.php?t=10279

If you have any questions about any of the images/videos, I can answer them.
But Leo T_C_K might be your person when it comes to Unreal knowledge ;) especially beta Unreal.

For early design and story documents, I recommend the UnrealSP fandom wiki:
https://unrealsp.fandom.com/wiki/Catego ... _Documents
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:53 am Hi mentalhunter!

As Leo recommended me for this, you might have seen this post I made of my image and video collection of early Unreal here:
viewtopic.php?t=10279

If you have any questions about any of the images/videos, I can answer them.
But Leo T_C_K might be your person when it comes to Unreal knowledge ;) especially beta Unreal.

For early design and story documents, I recommend the UnrealSP fandom wiki:
https://unrealsp.fandom.com/wiki/Catego ... _Documents
There were some additional documents not featured on the wiki that were recovered recently with the unreal images discs though. He might be interested in that too as it has screenshots of unique (and not recovered) models.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

True, but we talked about that in the collection topic.

I guess this download link is better than the archive.org one:
https://geocities.ws/yrex/mojunreal/beta/documents.html

(best Unreal website btw ;D)
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:16 pm True, but we talked about that in the collection topic.

Thanks, that should be sufficient to him. I mean technically there were more things on that unreal disc like different versions of the same story document but the most important is this.
mentalhunter
OldUnreal Member

Post by mentalhunter »

Thanks a bunch, guys! I'm already inspired after just 1 map of browsing.. I am aware v
Of video and picture rights as i had an exam concerning this in my last study.

But i prefer using alot of Unreal's own sounds for the series. Who do i have to contact for this? From who i need to ask permission to use the sounds? Is it Epic? Or does someone else hold the rights now? Or is it not able to use the sounds in the first place??

Thanks in advance, guys!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

mentalhunter wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:23 pm Thanks a bunch, guys! I'm already inspired after just 1 map of browsing.. I am aware v

But i prefer using alot of Unreal's own sounds for the series. Who do i have to contact for this? From who i need to ask permission to use the sounds? Is it Epic? Or does someone else hold the rights now? Or is it not able to use the sounds in the first place??

Thanks in advance, guys!
Since its derivative work for Unreal/about Unreal that is not commercial I think you can use the sounds freely. Besides it depends on what sounds. Many sounds were actually (in many games and movies alike) from big sound CDs etc and some of them might be public domain even by this point. But they purchased the sound CDs and many/most ambient sounds are from there for example.

If anything "Flak", Stacey Conley is the general person to go to when asking about rights to use something but in my opinion that's not even needed here. I think it falls under fair use.
mentalhunter
OldUnreal Member

Post by mentalhunter »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:01 pm
mentalhunter wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:23 pm Thanks a bunch, guys! I'm already inspired after just 1 map of browsing.. I am aware v

Thanks in advance, guys!
Since its derivative work for Unreal/about Unreal that is not commercial I think you can use the sounds freely. Besides it depends on what sounds. Many sounds were actually (in many games and movies alike) from big sound CDs etc and some of them might be public domain even by this point. But they purchased the sound CDs and many/most ambient sounds are from there for example.

If anything "Flak", Stacey Conley is the general person to go to when asking about rights to use something but in my opinion that's not even needed here. I think it falls under fair use.
Oh wow! That did not even crossed my mind yet, but it makes sense, tho. And i will always mention which sounds are not mine. I created alot of monsters myself and their sounds. I also included the U4E monsters with a custom background story.

I made a small list of monsters i drew in Adobe Animate. Ill post a picture of that later.
mentalhunter
OldUnreal Member

Post by mentalhunter »

These are first initial drawings and i never drew anything in my life before 6 months so any feedback would be welcome! I really want and need to learn!

EDIT: I'm also including your lega pawns, Leo. The scorpion, Ledino and Ant are in there. I only have to draw the Cyborg. Can i have your permission to use their sounds as well?

mentalhunter
OldUnreal Member

Post by mentalhunter »

I also have to add that the variety in detail differs alot. This is becouse some stuff is out of my league for now or i am not sure what the next step in that character for me to draw should be. Sometimes i gave it a different touch by changing some colour saturation or physique appearance. Also the quality between Unreal's Textures and adobe animate's color system differ enormously. This makes it incredibly difficult to get some details right, like soft shadows and color pairing. Just to name a few. Any help and feedback would be much obliged.
mentalhunter
OldUnreal Member

Post by mentalhunter »

Gamesharder wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:16 pm True, but we talked about that in the collection topic.

In the model section i either get a 404 error or the page load without a download. Any idea why?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

mentalhunter wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:58 pm

In the model section i either get a 404 error or the page load without a download. Any idea why?
Because unrealtexture.com no longer exists and DieHard disappeared after being ill (some people fear the worst). Though a lot of it is in wayback machine so add web.archive.org/web/1999999999999/ (that will switch to the earliest date for example). Not everything was archived but a lot did by someone especially in 2014. Some missing files have since been added to newbiesplayground.net.

Though that can't be the case for MeshTexUtils...maybe yrex should be informed...
mentalhunter wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:06 pm
EDIT: I'm also including your lega pawns, Leo. The scorpion, Ledino and Ant are in there. I only have to draw the Cyborg. Can i have your permission to use their sounds as well?
I didn't create them myself. They were created by EzKeel's team for the Legacy mod. I simply ported them back to Unreal (though some of the packages worked without porting).

That mod started life on Unreal though but later they switched to UT before it was finished. Some example maps of the old versions still exist for Unreal.
mentalhunter
OldUnreal Member

Post by mentalhunter »

I could not retrieve the information from wayback unfortunatly. Couldnt find it. Also, i know Diehard, right? Or am i confusing him with someone else? My memory is kinda vague atm.

And this EZXeel, where can i find him or her to ask for the permission?

Also i found something interesting called Unreality on the beta archives. But all there was were some pictures of the original cd and image. Also on the internet i couldnt find any information about it. Is there more information about that mod out there somewhere?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

mentalhunter wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:56 pm I could not retrieve the information from wayback unfortunatly. Couldnt find it. Also, i know Diehard, right? Or am i confusing him with someone else? My memory is kinda vague atm.

And this EZXeel, where can i find him or her to ask for the permission?

Also i found something interesting called Unreality on the beta archives. But all there was were some pictures of the original cd and image. Also on the internet i couldnt find any information about it. Is there more information about that mod out there somewhere?
I'll send you his e-mail adress. He was a famous mapper back in the day and had an exclusive pc gamer mod later on. It was called PC GAMER Olympics. It was one of his better looking things compared to some early days (like the Invasion mappack which was actually his first work but he made it into a sequel of Xerania and released it after Xerania was done only, you might remember those maps from Bio's server and White Palace which was part of Legacy but a sample map without the new monsters in it, he also made Zombie Dawn).

He also worked on some commercial games. Like The DS9 Fallen game though some or maybe most of his work didn't end up thereIsame with myscha, one of the original Unreal mappers as the game was in developement for some time) and also on the expansion pack of Rune and such things.

Links have been fixed btw:
https://geocities.ws/yrex/mojunreal/beta/models.html

DieHard is/was dutch so its possible you knew him.

Unreality? You mean the "Unreality Expansion Set"? Its not really worth it but its generally avaiable. It was Shovelware. (and only reason it got even sold was to fill up a slot in pre-orders that was caused by Epic cancelling the earlier expansion packs before RTNP came out) (even Votlan -the french special edition exclusive "level" - and the contest maps was more of an official addon than this, we reworked the later into FLP, "French Level Pack"). Only stuff that was already avaiable on the internet. Kind of like all those early Doom Map sets that were being sold etc. There was nothing exclusive there that you couldn't already download from the internet. There are actual cancelled/unfinished things that were meant to be commercial or at some point at least. For that I recommend checking the Unreal PSX rework (which contains many reworked beta monsters too) and Steele Dawn as well. I also have a lot of screenshots from some unfinished expansion packs and other material or recovered music files from a pack that was worked on by professional developers but was meant as a mod/tc, like "Stone Killer". I have the complete music that was sent to me, sadly nothing else survived from people I could contact. Well there was a voice pack for UT that they did release at one point made of lines recorded for the main character.

He was based on John Travolta at least partially, which is funny given my parody fanfictions that I wrote starting with "Hunt Down The Prisoner 849" featuring a main character simply called "Confused Travolta", but I only found out about Stone Killer after writing that, lol.

There was also "Unrealty" without the i in the title which was part of ongoing virtual reality like projects with reconstructions of real life locations (their first effort was the virtual notre damme thing you might remember). The guy who made it even wrote a web based version lately and he's even here on OldUnreal.

An example of some never seen before projects that started as expansion packs for Unreal:

there's another one that I'll have to find still

Well it was part of an archive of high res photos I made myself, so instead of including the archive I'd just like to show you resized version of one picture.

Oldureal only allows attachments up to 1 MB so I still had to lower the quality lol.
croppic2ed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mentalhunter
OldUnreal Member

Post by mentalhunter »

Wow, impressive, really. I think i need to do some.better research then. It's been a very long time
Since i actually played the actual game. I will have to to do some digging.

Return to “Anything else ?”