For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal Apology

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Unreal Apology

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Coming to your store soon!
apologyed.jpeg
sorry guys couldn't help it after seeing the thread with the unreal collection in the general forum

Anthology was so disappointing though for lacking crucial things like second discs/bonus content.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Apology

Post by Gamesharder »

Lmaooo

I remember only seeing "Unreal Apology" on the shelves in stores back in like early 2010s.
And I was like, "YO, Unreal!"
Maybe there was UT3 as well, but nothing below that, unfortunately.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:17 pm Lmaooo

I remember only seeing "Unreal Apology" on the shelves in stores back in like early 2010s.
And I was like, "YO, Unreal!"
Maybe there was UT3 as well, but nothing below that, unfortunately.
There was nothing above that either since Anthology (2006) and UT3 (2007), some stores sold exclusive "Unreal Universe" which was Anthology plus UT3 in one package, but yea. I believe it was CD Projekt exclusive thing.
EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Post by EvilGrins »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:56 pm Coming to your store soon!

apologyed.jpeg

sorry guys couldn't help it after seeing the thread with the unreal collection in the general forum

Anthology was so disappointing though for lacking crucial things like second discs/bonus content.
Are you high? UA is the best!

The Anthology has both versions of Unreal, UT99, & UT2004... plus it had all the patches which were available at the time it was released.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:57 pm

apologyed.jpeg

The Anthology has both versions of Unreal, UT99, & UT2004... plus it had all the patches which were available at the time it was released.
It didn't have the second UT GOTY CD content, not the Unreal 2 special edition content, not the ut2004 ECE bonus content. So no I am not high and they also messed up with removing those logos an didn't conform the packages which lead to online mismatches until the community fixed it.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

apologyed.jpeg

Can't tell if this is sarcasm. Anthology was another Unreal Gold situation in which Unreal was provided but was incompatible with other versions of the same game because of (if i recall) a different corporate logo on the flyby, so Anthology players couldn't connect with UGold or retail Unreal players, the same way UGold players could only connect with other UGold players or 225 servers.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Kajgue wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:10 pm

apologyed.jpeg

Can't tell if this is sarcasm. Anthology was another Unreal Gold situation in which Unreal was provided but was incompatible with other versions of the same game because of (if i recall) a different corporate logo on the flyby, so Anthology players couldn't connect with UGold or retail Unreal players, the same way UGold players could only connect with other UGold players or 225 servers.
It was even worse, unreal gold was at least netconformed to previous stable version (not 226a), it is a problem when epic released 226 final by not conforming that to 226b which was already out by then, but anthology unreal gold was not conformed to anything not even 225 it was just some noob modifying the file in unrealed and resaving it. Also something was wrong with the forum I was afraid I got banned or something or everyone got banned as gamesharder had the same issue.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

The apology that Epic should make is for deleting every trace of their Unreal and Unreal Tournament games from their website, and in lesser degree for removing their Unreal games from any online stores.

I know that Epic Games can make enough money from licencing their Unreal Engine now, but deleting your own heritage is not a nice thing to do.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Hyper wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:58 pm The apology that Epic should make is for deleting every trace of their Unreal and Unreal Tournament games from their website, and in lesser degree for removing their Unreal games from any online stores.
You've got your priorities in the wrong order. I don't care if they talk about it on their website, but "disappearing" the whole Unreal franchise from the face of the earth is a real shame.
You must construct additional pylons.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Hellkeeper wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:39 am
Hyper wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:58 pm The apology that Epic should make is for deleting every trace of their Unreal and Unreal Tournament games from their website, and in lesser degree for removing their Unreal games from any online stores.
You've got your priorities in the wrong order. I don't care if they talk about it on their website, but "disappearing" the whole Unreal franchise from the face of the earth is a real shame.
I don't. I'm entitled to my own opinion. To me, it is more important to honor your legacy than to keep selling and supporting the game. Maybe that was a simple business decision. If you sell an old game you have to support it as well. That means that you will need to have people able to support your legacy work. When you make many millions with Fortnite and the Unreal Engine, it may be not interesting from a business standpoint to keep selling the ancient stuff.

Unreal has been sold for much longer than most other games. And I'm thankful for that. There are probably ways for Epic to just outsource all sales, financial transactions and customer support to a third party like GOG. But they probably don't even want to bother with that.

Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Yeah I have to agree with Hellkeeper, and it seems pretty disrespectful to read from someone who's part of this community to apologise for them on behalf of their atrocious business decisions.

Whether it was a 'business decision' or not is really besides the point. The point is that they were willing to attempt to snuff out a well established part of gaming legacy, simply because (I assume) they would prefer people to associate 'Unreal' with their engine, even though the franchise is still actively played, mapped and modded for today - and i don't think there's any valid apologies or excuses one can make for this, and using business as an example is actually quite a crappy one.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Of course you're entitled to you opinion, no animosity at all, just my thought. :)
Hyper wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:49 pmTo me, it is more important to honor your legacy than to keep selling and supporting the game. Maybe that was a simple business decision.
I see you point, but legacy is just a marketing buzzword for luxury companies nowadays, I wouldn't count on video game companies to care about it.
Hyper wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:49 pm If you sell an old game you have to support it as well. That means that you will need to have people able to support your legacy work.
Do you though? Many games are being sold right now when their original makers have disbanded or moved on, with games being bought twenty times by several different companies who at most make sure the game works on current systems (if that). With Unreal games being so resilient to hardware and software change, I don't see what would have to be done. They could even provide a link to fan sites likes OldUnreal or ut99.org for support, they wouldn't be the first to outsource support to a fan community.

Hyper wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:49 pm Unreal has been sold for much longer than most other games. And I'm thankful for that.
I'm thankfull for years of good support and free content during the good old days, when they would release not only patches but map packages and new game mods along with them. That made the 3 years lifecycle of UT2004 feel like a decade of fun to me, this is why I had high standard with Epic. But I wouldn't expect new bonus packs or patchs in 2024, just the game being accessible.
Hyper wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:49 pm There are probably ways for Epic to just outsource all sales, financial transactions and customer support to a third party like GOG. But they probably don't even want to bother with that.
That's what bothers me. They could have it all handled by someone else, but I guess they just don't care. :(

But hey, no worry, since they stopped mentioning the game AND made it impossible to buy it, we can all gather as friends and put aside our different opinions to be sad and angry together. :D
You must construct additional pylons.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

We're on our own now. It would absolutely be great when Epic would keep selling the Unreal series.

But we're good. We got our community patches, community content, community servers, community master servers.
If we want the game we can sail the High Seas or buy a secondhand copy if you want to stay away from abandonware. We can wave our money to Epic Games but if they don't take it then it's their problem.

mentalhunter
OldUnreal Member

Post by mentalhunter »

I actually, to this day, cannot comprehend the decision to not continueing the Unreal story and instead took the UT route. Dont get me wrong, i absolutely love UT. But there is nothing i would have loved more than the continuation of the Unreal story in some format. Maybe even like a movie or a series of some sort.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

mentalhunter wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:29 am I actually, to this day, cannot comprehend the decision to not continueing the Unreal story and instead took the UT route. Dont get me wrong, i absolutely love UT. But there is nothing i would have loved more than the continuation of the Unreal story in some format. Maybe even like a movie or a series of some sort.
That was all planned though. Epic and co. were even considering a movie back in the day, there were mentions of it in the wayback machine. However there was never enough financial backings and all those buyouts and budgetary cuts didn't help.
I'm myself of the opinion that UT (at least at first) should have been released as Unreal addon as it was originally developed (the 221 version is already more-standalone for example but still "more Unreal" kind of way like a standalone expansion pack/pc), but they went further on, even at one point dropping "Unreal" from the title when they replaced all the weapons and didn't keep the Unreal models. Then they started to walk back, but you can still see story inconsistencies in UT thanks to this reboot/retool happening in the middle of developement.

Unreal 2 itself (I got secret documents myself from it at the end of last year after some long discussions and old levelscript and dialog files) was planned to have continuation of the Unreal story..after M07 *which was cut mission* Atlantis was going to pick up a floating Prisoner 849 in the shuttle and then drop him/her off on a planet called Exile which would be where Unreal III could take place(I suppose we got a discount version of that story in Gears of War instead). (also based on the documents the model of p849 would not be shown and it would be only talked in gender neutral terms to still preserve that aspect of Unreal, it would be mostly a log recollection)
Unfortunately, Josstice League situation happened and we never got the real Unreal II due to that. Instead it was later retconned that Unreal II takes place at a completely different time in the timeline as well. While the plan was that it was going to be kind of alongside the events of Unreal.

And even before that, before Legend Unreal II, there was a plan of Epic before the rebooted version of the Unreal story, that you would actually end up activating the Skaarj Mothership instead of going off in an escape pod and that would lead to Unreal II directly. That the mothership would lift off from Na Pali and end up on the Skaarj homeworld planet where the sequel would take place. But that was in Unreal Bible material of course, which is an early 1997 document (the leaked version was resaved in 1998/the real date not preserved and neither the images).
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

This was shared on FB today:
unreaaaal.png
https://www.facebook.com/UnrealEngine/p ... ZkRMEzJ3Jl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:54 pm This was shared on FB today:
unreaaaal.png
https://www.facebook.com/UnrealEngine/p ... ZkRMEzJ3Jl
What am I looking at? Unreal on the arcade? :D

Return to “Anything else ?”