For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

OpenGL (and D3D) not working!

Questions, Tips&Tricks for the special patches
RED

OpenGL (and D3D) not working!

Post by RED »

I wanted to play Unreal again because it's simply one of the best games ever. I installed 226f, and on firstboot it goes to software rendering. No problems. But when I switch to D3D or OpenGL rendering, it's like pressing the reboot button!

I was hoping the OpenGL driver on this site could fix things, but it doesn't. The good thing about this driver is that it doesn't reboot my machine, but gives an error instead:

Critical Error

Assertion failed: MinLogTextureSize
Last edited by RED on Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: OpenGL (and D3D) not working!

Post by Smirftsch »

i havent tried yet the patch with the geforce fx, but i see no reason why it shouldnt work with it too; I think you did something wrong while installing the patch; didya really follow the readme ?
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
RED

Post by RED »

Yes I did. I also see no reason why it shouldn't work. But like I stated in the above story, the original drivers also didn't work (rebooted my machine), and I see no reason for that to happen either.

Oh yeah I have WinXP SP1 with DX9. Maybe this little info can help you help me...
Zombie
Administrator

Post by Zombie »

How come your Assertion failed log mentions "ugold" in it? Although you have v226f.

What are your Min and Max Log Texture size settings at from your Unreal.ini file? Also, start Unreal in OpenGL mode and let it crash. Then open up the Unreal.log file and find in the text where the game initializes the OpenGL renderer. It should tell you what to set the Min and Max log texture sizes and the TMU at in the Unreal.ini.
Last edited by Zombie on Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED

Post by RED »

I don't know why my Assertion Failed log would mention "ugold" since I really only have 226f installed.
I found out that Unreal will work when I let in run in the Win95 compatibility mode. Direct3D that is. OpenGL still doesn't work, not the original driver and not the one from this site.

Also, now when I enable multi/detailtextures and I walk so close up the wall that my gun goes in the wall, everything (including sound) goes twice as slow. (???) When I walk away from the wall everything goes smooth again.

Sorry for the late reply, I only occasionally have time to play unreal and I forgot about the problem, until I recently searched for a different renderer to fix the 'gun-in-wall=slowmotion' bug :)
Kerilkkorn
OldUnreal Member

Post by Kerilkkorn »

In your opengl settingswhat values are your MinLogTextureSize and MaxLogTextureSize? I think Zombie9246 is right about that. NVidia Improved OpenGL compliance so this setting might beggin to cause problem on GeForce.
War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left...

Return to “OpenGL & D3D for Unreal & UnrealTournament”